Sponsored

Personal experience with airing down stock "off-road" tires on 2021 JLURD?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
ah interesting. When I was asking a bunch of questions, they told me if the wheel looked damaged, they could try some kind of sealant. Fortunately that wasn't required. Good luck!
Discount was nice the first time and tried to fix it for free. I went back a week later and as soon as I said I brought it in last week from a popped bead and it's still leaking, some other worker said that there was a bunch of junk in it and I need a new tire. I was a little suspicious, as I didn't even tell him the story or what kind of vehicle I had. I don't know, maybe they were just busy that day and didn't want to try a second time. I wouldn't had mind paying though.

The mom and pop place explained that they wire brushed it down and put a sealant on it to make sure it sealed. They did an excellent job, but also charged $25. I don't mind paying because they need to make money and I needed my tire fixed. I'm just saying that if I continue to pop beads on every offroad trip that I air down, things are going to get costly!

I just google'ed beadlocks and I don't know. It seems like it's a ton of work. Plus, I can fix a lot of beads for the $2500 new wheels cost! I'm just wondering if I can mount and remount the tire at home. I'm mechanically inclined, but lack the tools and knowledge.
Sponsored

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
If your JLUR is a daily driver, I wouldn't recommend beadlocks. Besides the cost and effort to put on (not to mention maintenance), not many of them are DOT compliant to run on pavement.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Yes I air down currently but the new JP will be stock for this trip. I want to air down but this will be a new experience with said brand and size. Does anyone have personal experience with this tire off road and aired down? Trip will be Colorado mountain trails. I will want to air down as far as needed. Between 12 and 18 PSI is my hope/plan. Thx.

BF Goodrich LT285/70R17C BSW Off-Road Tires
I have a lot of experience with those tires, but I've got a two-door.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your JLUR is a daily driver, I wouldn't recommend beadlocks. Besides the cost and effort to put on (not to mention maintenance), not many of them are DOT compliant to run on pavement.
It is my daily driver and that's part of the reason I am shying away from beadlocks. I saw some AEV Borah ones that are DOT compliant, but I don't know if I want to be spending a weekend torqueing things down every so often.

Being with the stock ones, is there something I'm doing wrong? Just bad luck? I can honestly say that I had at least 20psi in them.

Sponsored

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
It is my daily driver and that's part of the reason I am shying away from beadlocks. I saw some AEV Borah ones that are DOT compliant, but I don't know if I want to be spending a weekend torqueing things down every so often.

Being with the stock ones, is there something I'm doing wrong? Just bad luck? I can honestly say that I had at least 20psi in them.
I would go down to at least 15 PSI. I don't know what terrain you've been running, but 15 PSI with these OEM tires and on my JK's 35s (also BFG KOs) were the ticket for me for everything: rocks, some mud, fording streams, off-camber rollers, etc.

Good luck!

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I always air down to around 15psi in all my rigs. Never lost a bead. Used to live in Michigan and I think the dunes require you to air down to 10psi no matter the rig. TONS of stock Jeeps out there so if you're popping beads at 15, then I think something else is going on.

Could it be driving style? Too much skinny pedal? I like to give it the beans as much as any other guy, but can't imagine losing a bead every time I air down.

Also instead of beadlocks, try taking a look at some Method's with "bead grip technology." Might be a happy medium between stock and full on bead locks.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always air down to around 15psi in all my rigs. Never lost a bead. Used to live in Michigan and I think the dunes require you to air down to 10psi no matter the rig. TONS of stock Jeeps out there so if you're popping beads at 15, then I think something else is going on.

Could it be driving style? Too much skinny pedal? I like to give it the beans as much as any other guy, but can't imagine losing a bead every time I air down.

Also instead of beadlocks, try taking a look at some Method's with "bead grip technology." Might be a happy medium between stock and full on bead locks.
Since you are in Michigan.... :) I aired down to 15psi at Silver Lake and didn't have an issue. When I go to the badlands, I've aired down to 20 psi and that's when I had issues.

At the badlands, I drive with a group and there's limits on how fast the group goes. It's a lot of newer drivers in the group, so we usually drive pretty slow. Overall, I would say that I don't beat on it and I'm not flooring it.

The front one is kind of a mystery of how it happened. I think that I started loosing air when driving down to the creek bed. On the way out, I remember hitting a pretty decent sized drop on the exit road, which I think just made things worst. If I wasn't on my way out, I probably would have had to change it on the trail.

The back one, I feel like yeah that's my fault. The rim got scraped as I was having a tough time trying to go over a rock wall. My guess is that the rock pushed on the tire too and maybe unseat the bead. It's a slow leaker and was able to find it with soapy water last night. This-morning, I jacked her up, fully deflated the tire, put a lot of soapy water in that area, used a ratchet strap around it, and inflated it up. Fingers crossed, it doesn't seem to be bubbling where it used to be.

Thanks also for the recommendation. If I do change rims, it's good to have options. I wouldn't want beadlocks, as mentioned above, but I don't want regular rims. This may be a good compromise.

I'm also thinking about purchasing a cheap manual bead breaker if this keeps happening. I don't think I need to remove the tire. I think I just need to clean all the junk out on the tire bead and rim, apply some sealant, then fill it back up. While I've never done this before, it may be an option if this continues to happen. Hopefully it doesn't though.

dcm80401

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe / 2023 JLUR 4xe

Look into the Method 700 series with Bead Grip technology. I ran beadlocks on my JK and ordered a set of 703 for my incoming 4xe. Much lighter.

https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/703-gloss-titanium
Sponsored