Sponsored

Persistant P2C90 CEL with mishimoto catch can, S&B intake, GFB DV+, halp me please

OverIsland

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Army
Hey guys. I have a 2021 Rubicon with the 2.0T. First I added the GFB DV+, no issues. Then I added the morimoto catch can, no issues. Then I added the S&B intake and I get the P2C90 which is some generic code related to crankcase pressure. I checked all the vacuum lines that I repositioned or disconnected during the install, added thread tape to the nipple on the intake hose, checked my catch can contents and don't know what else to do. If I turn the light off with my code reader, it will be back in 2 days.

I did read somewhere about a crankshaft position sensor needing to be the updated part but can't find it anymore.

I am planning on taking the intake back off and go back to stock intake to see what happens, this is really frustrating. Any help is appreciated.

-Tony
Sponsored

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
P2C90 is caused by the CCV (clean) side of the crankcase pressure sensor not sensing sufficient pressure pulse which happens when the CCV side of the ventilation system back-flows under boost.

This issue has also been seen when folks install the mopar snorkle .

It's also a known issue for users of the Mishimoto catch can above a certain elevation. The catch can effectively adds resistance/volume to the MU air hose which blunts the pressure pulse.

Check your crankcase pressure sensor part number.

68302774AA or 68302774AB are the old ones and the new one (which should be less error prone) should have a part number of 68302774AC

This is what it looks like in your engine bay:

img_20190909_143645-jpg.jpg

The modern sensors and emission systems are extremely sensitive and annoying. I need to hook up an oscilloscope to mine when I have some time to learn more about how this sensor works.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OverIsland

OverIsland

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Army
68302774AA or 68302774AB are the old ones and the new one (which should be less error prone) should have a part number of 68302774AC
Thanks so much for such a detailed response. I just checked mine and I do have the AC version unfortunately. Any other thoughts on stuff to check or do? I really appreciate the help.

OP
OP
OverIsland

OverIsland

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Army
Also I read through the mishimoto thread and it seemed like some guys were going with smaller catch cans, I might try that out. I probably captured 2 ounces of fluid in 6k miles, albeit when the Jeep was new so supposedly it will increase as more miles rack up.

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks so much for such a detailed response. I just checked mine and I do have the AC version unfortunately. Any other thoughts on stuff to check or do? I really appreciate the help.
Sorry to hear that it's not the sensor. The only other thing I can think of is to check the tube that the sensor is attached to in order to make sure that there is no obstructions (unlikely since you have a 2021).

Its hard to diagnose this for certain short of comparing waveforms from an oscilloscope from stock vs your modded configuration and then go from there. If you can find someone from a local jeep club that might have the tools, it's worth a shot.

Another solution is to get a tune and tune the code out.

Without that, I like your process of elimination of trying to remove the intake vs the catch and see if its the intake, the can or the combination of the 2 which cause this issue. I see that you are from Boise, which has an elevation of 2700 feet. The Mishimoto can is known to have issues at elevation, which might be exacerbated by the S&B intake.

Last edited:

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Please send a pic of your S&B vacuum hose area as they revised it a few times to solve this issue.

I can tell you if you have the new or older version.

OP
OP
OverIsland

OverIsland

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Army
I added some steel wool to my catch can to reduce the volume over a week ago and no CEL at all (usually CEL within 1-2 days of resetting it). I did get with Mishimoto customer service and after providing them my receipt for the catch can they are sending me a smaller catch can so I think I am good to go.
Sponsored