Performance suspension for 392?

BigBabyEarl

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 392
Just picked up mine on a random visit to my local dealer. I had a carli kit on my Ram with a Pintop system, torsion sway bar, etc. I could drive it like a sports car. Thinking of sending this to AEV for the full 370 treatment, but is there other suspension upgrades I should consider or mods to the AEV?

Jeep Wrangler JL Performance suspension for 392? 807136A2-4919-43E4-9FB4-E93FCA11D6EE
Sponsored

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
My plan is to have AEV do a JL370 kit when I receive mine assuming they are ready.

that said, AEV just got their 392 mule last week and according to my rep don’t have the suspension option(s?) worked out yet. While there may be full-on new coils etc like they’ve done for the 3.6/diesel, there apparently is also some discussion about leaving the suspension stock and only offering a spacer kit like they do on their AEV Mojave Gladiator builds.

point being, it’s unknown at this point what AEV will do.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BigBabyEarl

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 392
With that being said what other kits for performance would be tailored for the 392?

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
With that being said what other kits for performance would be tailored for the 392?
The couple CAT scale weights I have seen posted for the 392 seem to match almost exactly the axle weights of the diesel.

This is the link to a thread where we talked through diesel curb weight with multiple folks posting CAT Scale printouts with weight (overall and by axle). Might be helpful.

2020 JLUR Diesel Curb Weight | Page 2 | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com

Last edited:

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
The couple CAT scale weights I have seen posted for the 392 seem to match almost exactly the axle weights of the diesel.

This is the link to a thread on here where we talked through diesel curb weight with multiple folks posting CAT Scale printouts with weight (overall and by axle). Might be helpful.

2020 JLUR Diesel Curb Weight | Page 2 | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com
Interesting. You are correct. Same up front and maybe 20lbs heavier in the rear all things taken into consideration.

Perhaps existing Diesel performance suspensions will be calibrated close enough for use on the 392?

Sponsored

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Just picked up mine on a random visit to my local dealer. I had a carli kit on my Ram with a Pintop system, torsion sway bar, etc. I could drive it like a sports car. Thinking of sending this to AEV for the full 370 treatment, but is there other suspension upgrades I should consider or mods to the AEV?

Jeep Wrangler JL Performance suspension for 392? 807136A2-4919-43E4-9FB4-E93FCA11D6EE
Lucky you to just happen upon an available 392 and congrats. I owned an AEV built JK (sold) and loved it. Consider EVO and Teraflex suspensions and builds? Looks like Teraflex now has a 392 and expect offerings to come out from them soon. I may go with one of the two latter options as their suspensions provide more flex than what was available with AEV on both JK and now JL suspensions provided by long arms rather than control arm drop brackets supplied by AEV for their lifts.

OP
OP

BigBabyEarl

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 392
I’m hoping AEV adds the 8100 shocks to their eventual 392 package. That being said, a carli kit with kings and torsion sway bar would be amazing. Driving 500 miles I’d say the stock package really needs tightening up to match the engine power.

crazyjas

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
Interesting. You are correct. Same up front and maybe 20lbs heavier in the rear all things taken into consideration.

Perhaps existing Diesel performance suspensions will be calibrated close enough for use on the 392?
I had the Diesel specific AEV Dual Sport 2.5" lift (more like 3") installed on '21 JLURD and it handled good but no where as good and sorted as factory setup on my 392! Not sure I want to sacrifice the current ride quality on the Fox 2" IMO. . .

Sponsored

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
I had the Diesel specific AEV Dual Sport 2.5" lift (more like 3") installed on '21 JLURD and it handled good but no where as good and sorted as factory setup on my 392! Not sure I want to sacrifice the current ride quality on the Fox 2" IMO. . .
For greater clearance and articulation Offroad.

Will likely go MetelCloak as they seem to be furthest along in development and have great reputation and customer service.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Accutune would be a great way to go. They can set you up to do all three.. Go fast off road(whoop eater), crawl, and comfortable on road.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Just to add to this thread -- we swapped diesel suspension onto a Gladiator with a 392 for the reasons mentioned above -- weight was nearly identical. Performed great.

I will likely just add an AEV spacer, if anything to get some additional clearance for 39's.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Thanks for the kind words above. We are excited to have a 392 in the shop at the moment. Doing some test fitting of certain parts and will be driving away with some Fox 2.5 DSC shocks and our springs. Very nice Jeep thats for sure. If you have any 392 suspension questions, shoot us a message!
Sponsored