Sponsored

Per a Jeep dealership the JL is not water tight/expect it to fill with water during water crossings!

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Just got a call from the dealership!
Guess what? There is no seal on my floor mats. I’m not completely crazy!
They are ordering a replacement set. Mine do not have the part that would make them water tight.
Go figure!
Good job dude!

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Just got a call from the dealership!
Guess what? There is no seal on my floor mats. I’m not completely crazy!
They are ordering a replacement set. Mine do not have the part that would make them water tight.
Go figure!
I didn't get seals with mine and haven't seen anybody reference any seals, unless they are talking about the floor plugs. Post a pic when you can.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Uhmmmm the all weather mats don't "seal".

This has been discussed on a few threads already.

Keep your plugs in the floor where they belong.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Hey all,

The dealership replaced my floor mats, call me and said they tested them, no leaks to come and pick it up.

I get home and took a look at them, they seemed to fit the same way. Tested them with someone ideal from here by pouring water under the floor mat, great ideal by the way, thank you for that ideal. No seal! Water pours right out the bottom. I checked online to read the insulation instruction to see if there is some sort of warning. Nope!

Left a message on Monday and today for the services advisor, The service advisor is dogging my calls. Lol
Sent a video to the FCA case manager, she said she will get back to me, that was Monday!
Back to square one.
I would just silicone them in, I take them out after every trip to vacuum the carpet. This could turn into a pain in the butt.
I would just leave the drain plug in the floor pan, my wife’s little brother reminded me why this would be a bad ideal when he dropped a milkshake on his side and good thing for the floor mats and the plug! No plug in the mats and that milkshake would have been all over the carpet.

I’ll keep everyone posted if they ever fix it!
Thanks for tuning and chiming in!

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the floor mats were designed to be water tight, just snap in place. I measured the floor mat drain and it was 1mm smaller where it goes through the floor than the factory plug. If you haven't seen it yet, look at this thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...er-floor-mats-drain-sealing.9836/#post-238196. I haven't tested with water, but I can see an indentation left where the inner tube seals against the floor and it doesn't interfere with the removal and installation of the mats. You just have to push harder to get them seated.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Are you expecting to put a trolling motor on and go bass fishing. of course its not watertight.
Hi good morning,

Can you read? See the two photos I have attached from Jeep.com
The JL is guaranteed to be water tight up to 30” of water.
It is on jeep.com, their is a label on the tailgate and it is part of their marketing of the new JL.
The folks who keep saying it is not should take a little time and read about their new JL so they understand what it’s capabilities are.
I apologize ahead of time if this comes across being harsh. I spent a great deal of my time dealing with folks and their comments on here regarding this subject.
I even spent a good deal of time dealing with the folks at dealerships and Jeep care saying the same thing as you and they too have been corrected by FCA.

330F5493-1F50-40B7-9ED7-3590D6FDC94A.png

0457E8B2-7C16-4156-805D-CCF6EB732F0B.png

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
I don't think the floor mats were designed to be water tight, just snap in place. I measured the floor mat drain and it was 1mm smaller where it goes through the floor than the factory plug. If you haven't seen it yet, look at this thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...er-floor-mats-drain-sealing.9836/#post-238196. I haven't tested with water, but I can see an indentation left where the inner tube seals against the floor and it doesn't interfere with the removal and installation of the mats. You just have to push harder to get them seated.
Hey
Darn good post.
I liked your ideal of a rubber tire tube.
One of the posters on here gave me a great ideal to test if it is water tight.
Pull the mat back just enough and pour a bottle of water between the floor mat and the carpet.
On mine it just runs right out the bottom.
I was even thinking of getting a second set of drain plugs, cutting out the centers and making a gasket.
The reason this matters so much to me is simple, I know I’ll be on one of my trips off roading having fun, we will come to a water crossing and I’ll forget to put the plugs back into the floor pan and next thing you know the inside on my new JL is full of water and mud.

Can you please keep me posted on what you come up with as a seal?
I’ll do the same

Thanks!

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I got the Mopar mats, instead of WeatherTech liners for the drain function. I'm convinced that I wasted my money. I will be cutting the drain funnels off of the Mopar mats and installing the drain plugs into the floor board. I bought an extra set of floor drain plugs to install into the Mopar mats. Mopar really should refund all those who got the all weather mats.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Hi good morning,

Can you read? See the two photos I have attached from Jeep.com
The JL is guaranteed to be water tight up to 30” of water.
It is on jeep.com, their is a label on the tailgate and it is part of their marketing of the new JL.
The folks who keep saying it is not should take a little time and read about their new JL so they understand what it’s capabilities are.
I apologize ahead of time if this comes across being harsh. I spent a great deal of my time dealing with folks and their comments on here regarding this subject.
I even spent a good deal of time dealing with the folks at dealerships and Jeep care saying the same thing as you and they too have been corrected by FCA.

330F5493-1F50-40B7-9ED7-3590D6FDC94A.png

0457E8B2-7C16-4156-805D-CCF6EB732F0B.png
I think you have a different definition of water fording than some people. To me, that is completely different than water tight. Water tight means no leaks. Water fording depth means the depth it can handle without worry of mechanical failure.... it doesn’t mean it won’t leak. I think that’s what Jeep meant as well.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's an updated pic attempting to show that the inner tube is sealing against the hole in the floor, look close at the shiny indentation going around the inner tube. It also looks like the inner tube is starting to fail, may have to try a little larger inner tube.

mat_drain_4.jpg

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Here's an updated pic attempting to show that the inner tube is sealing against the hole in the floor, look close at the shiny indentation going around the inner tube. It also looks like the inner tube is starting to fail, may have to try a little larger inner tube.

mat_drain_4.jpg
I'm not reading 11 pps of this thread to catch up on what seems silly... the floor mat drains are clearly there to drain out wet boots, snow, etc. (or in @Covfefe's case, peeing) and do not seal to the [carpeted!!] floor. For water fording, put the plugs in the floor and not in the mats... duh. Maybe that's all been discussed and I'm missing the point because I'm too lazy to read.

Anyhow, with that out of the way, this inner tube hack is awesome! Well done! I'm gonna implement this hack on my Jeep. Thanks!

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Here is a photo of Kevin’s water crossing, it’s not that deep and his Jeep filled with water!
Per the dealership rep, this is normal?
Does this look like deep water to you?

B4DC99C7-4F67-493D-91F8-F4415F54BFF2.png

977C3D62-24B7-439B-9ED4-C8B3B9CDC4D8.png

34B64FB7-ECD6-449B-BE71-BB9C84C5942C.png
That blows. Wow. I’m going to put the plugs back in...

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I think you have a different definition of water fording than some people. To me, that is completely different than water tight. Water tight means no leaks. Water fording depth means the depth it can handle without worry of mechanical failure.... it doesn’t mean it won’t leak. I think that’s what Jeep meant as well.
Yep , @BillG reads the sales brochure very carefully : Water FORDING , NOT water tight . Also , here we have the fine print disclaimer that "Do NOT attempt water fording unless depth is known to be less than 30 inches" , and damage "may NOT be covered by the new vehicle warranty" .

It does NOT guarantee water TIGHT . So much for relying on a sales brochure , while overlooking the fine print .

Actually , no vehicle , including an LST , is going to be water Tight .
Sponsored

Last edited: