Sponsored

People's opinion on the Sunrider Bestop?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have an alienshade front shade and run mine under my JL Sunrider. its a snap to open with the shade up, while still in the vehicle. Basically, unclip the SR clamps, push up between the shade and the windshield header with your right hand, grab the SR with your left hand, out the window, and push back. no need to remove it. Closing is just the reverse. Reach out the drivers window, and pull closed, lock clamps. you do need to move the shade out of the way a bit when opening and closing the clamps but it snaps back into place.
@CO_Mojito

Yup...

I neglected to mention in my earlier post that closing the SR while you are sitting in the JL is also easy, easy.
Sponsored

CO_Mojito

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Turbo Mojito
Occupation
IT Enterprise Systems Architect
Vehicle Showcase
I have a shade on my JK, and a Trektop NX, so for me it was old hat... :)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Habit I have .... I'm out driving around Florida with the SR open. I pull into someplace and decide to park and get out.

SO, I park and I reach out and grab the SR, and close it...

I close it as to keep the hot Sun out and in case it downpours suddenly and to just give the JL the look so to speak, that it is closed up and secure. .

Anyway, I close the SR but I do not latch it.

I come back to the JL say an hour later, get in and drive off.......... CHITT, at say 25mph the SR flips open and scares the fruck out of me.

SOooo, to prevent this, I now, when I close the SR and do not latch, (this is often) I have this to remind me to either fip open or latch my SR.

Tag metal clings to magnetic cellphone mount..
oooo.jpg

Last edited:

Austin TX Jeep Rubicon

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Lawyer
What do people who own the Sunrider Bestop think of it? I was thinking about getting one. I have the Billet Silver top on my Moab.
Love mine. Super easy to install and I think it doesn't look too bad either.

IMG_1276.jpg

Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Thanks to @Rhinebeck01 , @CO_Mojito , & @Andy2434 for your responses. Think I'll give it a try and See if I like or not!
Eric, you are going to love the SR! It's truly the best mod that I have installed, so far. It should have been a factory option when I placed my order.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
My sunrider arrives tomorrow! First warm day itā€™ll get installed! From the pics Iā€™m seeing, wish they had gotten the color closer to match the hardtop so it doesnā€™t look like one of those cars where the owner replaced a damaged body panel and didnā€™t bother to paint it!! :LOL:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My sunrider arrives tomorrow! First warm day itā€™ll get installed! From the pics Iā€™m seeing, wish they had gotten the color closer to match the hardtop so it doesnā€™t look like one of those cars where the owner replaced a damaged body panel and didnā€™t bother to paint it!! :LOL:
@sost1sg

I'm a tad OCD and the color variance slapped me in the face so to speak... but after a day or so you just .. you just get used to it.

Big thing that stands out like a friggin sore thumb is the metallic looking/shiney Bestop logo. You WILL want to remove that ASAP. It prys off easily. No glue residue or shading issue, holes, etc. will be noted after removal.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
@sost1sg

I'm a tad OCD and the color variance slapped me in the face so to speak... but after a day or so you just .. you just get used to it.

Big thing that stands out like a friggin sore thumb is the metallic looking/shiney Bestop logo. You WILL want to remove that ASAP. It prys off easily. No glue residue or shading issue, holes, etc. will be noted after removal.

Yea Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s how I feel about it too. That stuff bothers me as well!!

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
2 questions for Bestop Sunrider owners... can't find the answer to these:
1) with the SR in place, can you still remove the rest of the roof as easily as you could before you installed the SR?
2) if you want to go back to freedom panels say for the winter, how hard is it to get the freedom panels back on? Do you have to completely remove all the parts you bolted on when installing the SR?
Thanks much!

Sponsored

joecitrix97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 YJ Sahara, '18 JLU Sahara
2 questions for Bestop Sunrider owners... can't find the answer to these:
1) with the SR in place, can you still remove the rest of the roof as easily as you could before you installed the SR?
2) if you want to go back to freedom panels say for the winter, how hard is it to get the freedom panels back on? Do you have to completely remove all the parts you bolted on when installing the SR?
Thanks much!
1. No. you have to remove the SR for Hard Top completely before removing the rest of the Hard Top. The back of the SR cover the bolts for the front of the hard top.
2. You have to remove the SR for Hard Top completely before re-installing the Freedom Panels. However, once you own one of these things, the Freedom Panels will collect dust in your basement. You will wonder why Jeep didn't make this accessory mandatory on all Jeeps.

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
Thanks for the reply @joecitrix97. I really wanted the Sunrider. I could live with not ever easily putting the freedom panels back on, but I don't think I can give up the ability to take the whole top off just for the sunrider functionality. Damn, was hoping they had found a way to install this that would still allow removal of the rest of the roof.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Thanks for the reply @joecitrix97. I really wanted the Sunrider. I could live with not ever easily putting the freedom panels back on, but I don't think I can give up the ability to take the whole top off just for the sunrider functionality. Damn, was hoping they had found a way to install this that would still allow removal of the rest of the roof.
I think Bestop has said that you can remove the Sunrider, then remove the roof, and then reinstall the Sunrider. Itā€™s an extra step, but once you install the Sunrider and Z clips the first time, itā€™s a quick and easy job to remove and install it.

I guess it depends on how often you would be changing things up.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
@joshg You can remove the Sunrider in about 10 minutes. Thereā€™s a Lite Brite video where they remove and reinstall the Sunrider in about 20 (see post #24 of this thread). I canā€™t imagine it being a problem if you wanna go topless.
Sponsored