people who've dealt w/ buy back step inside

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
After reading the 100+ responses here, I think I might have made a mistake going the lawyer route. Seems like you all have had better resolution without one than I have with one. Maybe the wrong attorney, I really don’t know. I was told last Wednesday...after 3 months of waiting...that FCA is refusing a buyback.

This has been mentally draining.
Sponsored

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I just completed my buyback. I was given credit for all modifications for which I provided a receipt.
I second this. They asked for all receipts for all my mods. I didn’t have any since I knew early on it was a lemon. But they said they’d pay if I had any.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
When you say you got a call from FCA Special handling--is this JeepCares or Stericycle? My understanding is that once its sent to Stericycle its almost a done deal other than the administrative back and forth documentation. At least I hope so--I got a call from SC last week and sent the final paperwork today. They are telling me 2 weeks or sooner.

If you are going back and forth with FCA Cares--call a lemon attorney and let them fight it out. Their fees are likely covered by the manufacturer through the State Lemon Law.
The “special handling” department seems to be a step above the Jeep cares group within FCA. But she didn’t have the notes from my many conversations and emails with the Jeep Cares rep. I was transferred to the special handling after the cares rep said I met the lemon law requirements and the dealer and engineers ran out of options/ideas for fixing my steering.

Even now they want me to take it in to try to fix it, but the local service managers are telling me that they have no solution and we need to wait on Jeep to come up with one.

I’ve been waiting since May. I’m over it. Either get me one that works or I’m going to have to pay out of pocket to fix it. We already have $900 in so far.

Sponsored

Subaru Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
FCA notified me that they approved my vehicle repurchase last week and told me that stericycle would be in contact within the next couples days. I haven't heard anything back yet, how long did it take for stericycle to contact you all?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
FCA notified me that they approved my vehicle repurchase last week and told me that stericycle would be in contact within the next couples days. I haven't heard anything back yet, how long did it take for stericycle to contact you all?
How did you approach the buyback? Through FCA or via lemon law?

dsievert66

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Technology and Analytics

dsievert66

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Technology and Analytics
I heard within a week of JeepCares saying they were going to do the replacement. It's taken about 2 weeks since then to close out the paperwork, choose another car,.... Waiting now for a transfer agent to be assigned to hand over the new Jeep.... That I'm hoping is next week so I can put this behind me--the new car is sitting at the dealer.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Member @jimmydarnell is currently going through one now. Maybe he can help you with some of your questions?.?

Most states like GA and FL for examples are pretty easy.. You just submit the paper on your own. I wouldn’t get a lawyer involved until I’ve been repeatedly denied. They just complicate things.

Attached is FL lemon law as an example, very easy to accomplish. @jimmydarnell did it all on his own in GA and seemed pretty painless..

Attachments

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
My JeepCares/FCA rep told me I met the lemon law requirement and seeing how FCA can’t/won’t fix it I asked for a buyback.

That was one month ago and all I’ve gotten form the FCA “special handling” is a wonderful special runaround. For a month. :angry:

I understand that a replacement would be MSRP to MSRP. The problem is that the costs have gone up from 2019. Based on the window sticker at my local dealer, an exact replacement would be $1,400 out of pocket. :angry:

Other than the steering, my Jeep is awesome with no issues. My husband thinks I should do the PSC kit and be done. That would save a weekend of removing and reinstalling the winch (what an epic pita).

It’s very tempting and would be a whole lot easier than dealing with FCA, which is causing me a lot of stress. I will admit to having a hard time with letting them off the hook, tho. It doesn’t seem right.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I read in another thread where someone had to pay extra for the replacement though it was the exact same vehicle. The MSRP went up since their original purchase. You would think FCA would cover it, but they didn't.
Personally I would gladly pay the difference to reset the warranty clock with a new vehicle. It depends on the State, manufacturer, dealer and the regional rep. Or mediator in some States. Usually they go MSRP to MSRP minus milage for the most part so it's possible there might be a slight increase for the milage used anyway. MSRP went up a few hundred on a BMW buy-back I had. In my case BMW offered to pay the difference of a few hundred bucks if I ordered the exact vehicle so there would not have been any out of pocket cost except mileage used. I ended up paying more though. I decided to add more options on the replacement. I think the overwhelming majority would add more options if anything so they would be paying a little more anyway.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My JeepCares/FCA rep told me I met the lemon law requirement and seeing how FCA can’t/won’t fix it I asked for a buyback.

That was one month ago and all I’ve gotten form the FCA “special handling” is a wonderful special runaround. For a month. :angry:

I understand that a replacement would be MSRP to MSRP. The problem is that the costs have gone up from 2019. Based on the window sticker at my local dealer, an exact replacement would be $1,400 out of pocket. :angry:

Other than the steering, my Jeep is awesome with no issues. My husband thinks I should do the PSC kit and be done. That would save a weekend of removing and reinstalling the winch (what an epic pita).

It’s very tempting and would be a whole lot easier than dealing with FCA, which is causing me a lot of stress. I will admit to having a hard time with letting them off the hook, tho. It doesn’t seem right.
I have a '19 myself but have not been tracking prices. Your build went up $1400 MSRP between a exact 2019 and 2020? What went up? Personally I would still exercise your Lemon Law rights and start over even if the MSRP went up. You will get a fresh warranty. You might be able to get compensation for the winch. Check with your State's Lemon Law. Some States allow for reimbursement for aftermarket parts and mods.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I have a '19 myself but have not been tracking prices. Your build went up $1400 MSRP between a exact 2019 and 2020? What went up? Personally I would still exercise your Lemon Law rights and start over even if the MSRP went up. You will get a fresh warranty. You might be able to get compensation for the winch. Check with your State's Lemon Law. Some States allow for reimbursement for aftermarket parts and mods.
The build site doesn't show the increases, but looking at the sticker on my local dealer's site, the transmission went up $750, the leather and stereo each $100, etc.

I'll have to look into the compensation of parts for California. I'll need to read the booklet more carefully, but it didn't seem to be the case here.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Update:

Jeep has given up on me. Today was the last straw and I’m still pissed off.

I got a voice mail from my FCA representative that started with offering to set up an appointment with another dealer. I have repeatedly told her that two local service managers have told me that they have no direction from FCA and have no idea what to do to help me.

What really makes me angry is that she proceeded to say that “the dealership states that the vehicle drives as designed and it was compared to a like vehicle.”

This is absolutely false!

The shop foreman drove my Jeep after seeing me struggle with it and said it seemed off (“there’s *something* there”). We also drove a like JLR off the lot and it was significantly better than mine and I made it clear that was the case.

So, who is lying?!? FCA or the dealer? :angry:

I called her on that on my return call and she offered to “refer me to arbitration,” but all that meant was an email with a link to the NCDSUSA website.

I love my Jeep and it’s otherwise fantastic. My hubby wants to get the PSC and be done. I like the idea, but am really having a hard time letting FCA off the hook that easily. It’s not right.
Sponsored