Sponsored

People that have gone from "sporty" rides to a Wrangler... be honest now... do you regret it?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
The Jeep is our secondary ride I do enjoy driving it but not our 1st choice on a daily basis. I have now had it for 6 weeks and other than trip to and from the dealer I have 125 miles on it (still on the 1st tank of gas). We also have a Telsa Model S and once you drive one there is no gasser that can replace it except for off road and snow where the jeep obviously excels. Do not get me wrong I love the Jeep just is not in the same road driver league. I look forward to a Electric Jeep some day...

499ff869-9cef-40ff-a2d8-ccdf4dd583ff_zpsbbz2al5a.jpg
Sponsored

MNSeapilot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Why sell a car?????

IMG_7432.JPG

theox05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former:18 JLUR, 18 BMW M4, 981 GT4 Now: 21 JLUR XR
I appreciate all the comments on my original question, but I wish I would have phrased it more clearly in the context of "if you had to pick one or the other". The people with the comments of "I have both" are my idols, but are kind of "cheating" with the feedback I'm looking for LOL ;)
Well, you're asking a question that doesn't have a good answer. Every car choice is a compromise, there isn't one that covers every base. You want sporty, fast, and a buttery ride? Get a Boxster, C6, or M4, but don't expect it to be able to offroad or haul anything (or even seat 4 people comfortably). You want offroad capability, some towing, and a high ride? Get a Jeep. Just dont expect ride comfort, steering response, or a lightning 0-60 time.

Some people will say Porsche Macan or X5 w/ offroad pkg, but I don't know anyone who would actually take that off the asphalt. I wouldn't.

Until they make a transformer car, every auto purchase is a compromise.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
I've driven "sporty" cars my entire life, but the new JL is beyond cool in more ways than I can count. It also checks my 2 biggest boxes... a top that can open up AND 4WD (something not common on many sporty cars). I'm really, really tempted to go from my Mustang to a Wrangler when I make my next auto change, but I'm afraid once the "newness" wears off I'll miss my sporty ride. I realize that this kind of a conundrum is something that is personal to each person, but is there anybody else out there that has made a similar leap? In the end, how do you feel about your decision? Thanks for your time and comments!
Think I figured this one out with an elementary school math equation.
STI, M5, Mustang, and a host of other vehicles previously or presently owned by everyone who replied so far is = to on asphalt as Wrangler is = to lack of asphalt.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've driven BMW's for the last 15 years now, with my last (just traded) 2015 BMW 435 X-Drive 2-Door Coupe. The car had a BMS Stage 1, Dinan exhaust, and Dinan lowering springs along with staggered wheels. I really enjoyed the car, as I did all of my BMW's. Having said that I don't regret trading it on a 2018 JLU Rubicon. In fact, I don't even think about it. Since I've relocated from the east coast to the west coast this past December, I feel that the Jeep is a much better vehicle to suit both my limited city driving (I work out of my house) and my offroading adventuring. Something my car could not do. One final note, I feel the build quality on the interior is very good. Offroading nary a squeak or rattle do I hear in that jeep, and that speaks volumes.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The Jeep is our secondary ride I do enjoy driving it but not our 1st choice on a daily basis. I have now had it for 6 weeks and other than trip to and from the dealer I have 125 miles on it (still on the 1st tank of gas). We also have a Telsa Model S and once you drive one there is no gasser that can replace it except for off road and snow where the jeep obviously excels. Do not get me wrong I love the Jeep just is not in the same road driver league. I look forward to a Electric Jeep some day...

499ff869-9cef-40ff-a2d8-ccdf4dd583ff_zpsbbz2al5a.jpg
Will the electric Jeep Wrangler be labeled "JZ"? lol

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Will the electric Jeep Wrangler be labeled "JZ"? lol
There would have to be some radical changes in battery technology (primarily on weight) for Jeep to go Electric, the JLU is now 4100-lb -4300-lb dry with no aftermarket, My Tesla Model S weights more than that which is heavy for a luxury performance car it also has an aluminum body to help keep weight down otherwise it would be heavier yet. However the finite control of electric would make for a significant improvement in control off road.

Lacroix1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JL
Current BMW M2 Competition and 911 Carrera but love my new Jeep JL and definitely don't regret it.
Different ride for a different day; you get the best of both words... ;)

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I used to swerve to avoid road kill in my Challenger as it would destroy the front spoiler. Now I embrace road kill, rocks, sand, standing water etc... as its a fun way to get tail gaters off my A$$. Nothing like a rainy day and drifiing into the rumble strip to splash up some muck and aiming for the disemboweled critters to add some blood and guts to the mix.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Turned in my 535xi lease. Not as sporty as others here, but a great all arounder that I miss. But, no regrets here. Great thing about Jeep: 60mph feels like 90mph.

1D3C1925-6FDD-4B04-A631-411D2A1E10B0.jpeg

Sponsored

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
I still pick the Jeep over the Audi 95% of the time. There is just something about the Jeep that you can't explain. I'm also tall, so I love the high seating position. Makes driving seem less of an annoyance since EVERYONE drives suvs these days. And the Jeep eats bad roads for breakfast in a way that a German car never will.

VeggieBoi

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 McLaren 650S, 2019 JLUR
I was thinking about this today, in between refreshing the tracker, as if it will switch from D1 to shipped... I have no doubt that I will end up choosing to drive the Jeep 99% of the time once it is here.

This is weird to me because I am not a fan of luxury cars at all -- I prefer sporty cars.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
A small tip for those who come from the wunderbar german steering to the JL's well...weird steering. Don't try to overcorrect back and forth if she wanders a bit. Let the steering talk to you and put in slight and gentle inputs. I noticed when my brother in law drove it that he did that, and I nearly got car sick. Gentle inputs will make you and JL live long and prosper!

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Even with owning a supersport bike, I noticed I have been missing a “sport” car and I have only owned my wrangler for about three months. Darn, not sure how long I’m going to last without owning a fast car.

Purity’sPa

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I got rid of a ‘15 BMW modified M4 for the JL Rubicon. Of course I want a super/turbo charger but especially living in Houston where the streets are all torn up frequently and we experience some quickly rising water levels when it rains, I love my Rubicon

The Rubicon does as good of a job as the M4 for
Catching the attention of random ladies, as well.

613104F0-203D-462E-9C51-FF55A73CBC88.jpeg
4B5D809D-8AAA-437D-97EB-CF9190BCC0E8.jpeg
Sponsored