Sponsored

People that have gone from "sporty" rides to a Wrangler... be honest now... do you regret it?

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I went from an NC Miata to a JL and haven't regretted it at all. I've already put more miles on the JL than I had in the past 2 years of the Miata.

jjonesx86

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Gates Foundation
I went from a 2016 911 GTS Targa to my Rubicon (okay, there was a brief layover with an Audi S5 Cab in between) and don't regret it at all. I have never had so much fun customizing a vehicle and the aftermarket world is huge for a Jeep. I use to spend time alone at track events or car shows (not really kid friendly) but now I'm off with my kids and family having adventures, exploring forest service roads and learning to wheel some harder stuff. Much more accessible, family friendly and a hell of a lot cheaper.

This was a truly spectacular car:
IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5043.jpg

But believe it or not, this is a lot more fun:
IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

trollfarmer

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4 Convertible
We have a JLR, 2014 Porsche Boxster s, and a Mercedes CLK 350 AMG coupe. My comments are: if you like to drive fast and the required performance to drive fast, you will get tired of the jeep. If your fortunate enough, I would strongly recommend keeping your performance car to trade off. I love our jeep and probably drive it more but it does get old and I switch to a sports car. If you have a sports car but don’t really drive it aggressively then you may not miss it buying a JL.
That's the problem for me. Living in Switzerland, I don't know yet whether I can live with only the Jeep. :) But I think it will work. Kinda more worried that coming from a newer BMW, the interieur design and build quality will be not as good as before, but I'll get used to it.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Jeeps just have a je ne sais quoi about them that makes you want to drive them. I kept my Audi and have driven the Jeep 80% of the time I've owned both. I always think going back to the Jeep that it will drive so much worse than that Audi, and it always surprises.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I owned a Civic Si, Mazda 3 hatchback, Saturn Sky Redline, 2 WRXs, and an STI. No regerts. In fact, I doubt that I’ll be moving back into a small car in my foreseeable future. It seems like riding a skateboard now!

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
That's the problem for me. Living in Switzerland, I don't know yet whether I can live with only the Jeep. :) But I think it will work. Kinda more worried that coming from a newer BMW, the interieur design and build quality will be not as good as before, but I'll get used to it.
If you get a JL Rubicon with all the options you won’t be missing that many comfort features compared to a newer 6 figure sports car.
The tech is on par, the leather seats are extremely comfortable, the LED lights are wicked bright, the upgrading stereo system totally rocks, any many other pluses. The few things I do miss are:
Rain sensing wipers
Gas cap mount on fuel door
Auto window up
Trip meter that auto resets if car sits for 4+ hours
Memory seats
Windshield defrost likely will be lame
More range on a tank of gas
Get used to rock chips and fix ASAP (like same day if at all possible)

TimP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler sport
I don’t regret it at all. I generally didn’t like larger vehicles but I think the wrangler is my favorite vehicle.

That thrill you get with sporty cars is just as easy (maybe easier?) to get with the Jeep off-road.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I don’t regret it at all. I generally didn’t like larger vehicles but I think the wrangler is my favorite vehicle.

That thrill you get with sporty cars is just as easy (maybe easier?) to get with the Jeep off-road.
Length wise the JL 2-door is 10" shorter then a 2015 911 and 2016 Corvette. It's actually about the same length as BRZ.

Always have owned some pretty fun dedicated sport cars and sedans but the Wrangler is definitely one of my favorite vehicles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I've driven "sporty" cars my entire life, but the new JL is beyond cool in more ways than I can count. It also checks my 2 biggest boxes... a top that can open up AND 4WD (something not common on many sporty cars). I'm really, really tempted to go from my Mustang to a Wrangler when I make my next auto change, but I'm afraid once the "newness" wears off I'll miss my sporty ride. I realize that this kind of a conundrum is something that is personal to each person, but is there anybody else out there that has made a similar leap? In the end, how do you feel about your decision? Thanks for your time and comments!
I don't think you will regret the Wrangler. I keep coming back to them even after owning some seriously fun sport cars. The Wrangler is one of my top 5-10 all time favorite cars.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
I've driven "sporty" cars my entire life, but the new JL is beyond cool in more ways than I can count. It also checks my 2 biggest boxes... a top that can open up AND 4WD (something not common on many sporty cars). I'm really, really tempted to go from my Mustang to a Wrangler when I make my next auto change, but I'm afraid once the "newness" wears off I'll miss my sporty ride. I realize that this kind of a conundrum is something that is personal to each person, but is there anybody else out there that has made a similar leap? In the end, how do you feel about your decision? Thanks for your time and comments!
Have and many sporty and sports cars over the years. Wife’s current car is a 240i MSport Convertable which replaced her 235 version of the same so still have sporty in the stable and get to drive it at least once a week lol! Before those had impractical two seaters, and all kinds of put your head on the back of the seat types. Every time I walk into the garage and see my rubi I smile. Every time I drive it I smile. I don’t miss being able to break the tires off the pavement. Have learned that I did miss being able to break tires off of rocks and ruts though... till I got my new wrangler :) Worst case the JL will have better resale (probably) than the stang. Drive it for a few years, if you hate it, trade it in on a new mustang and have some trade in down payment $$$ to boot!

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
You can pick up a Miata for as little as $2500, maybe even less. If you can afford a new Jeep, you can probably afford one of those too if you need a sports car fix.

I kept my sports car and replaced my DD with my Jeep. Best of both worlds, now I don’t have to chose between something fun and something dull, both of my cars are fun. But where I live, there just isn’t much chance to drive a sports car the way it should be, so I go for the Jeep far more often. Great to have both though.

ED8A54E1-9EFA-4A08-AC67-E1A1B5767652.jpg

fcnacht1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I have driven Mustang GTs and recently turned in a Taurus SHO while getting into my 1st Wrangler ever. Not only is it more fun to drive than those (you can only accelerate so fast until you run the risk of getting a ticket) but this is the first vehicle ever that my kids actually like. My 12 year old actually said it is cool! Love my JLU!

mic.rempel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I leased a Tesla Model S 60 for 2 years and made the switch to a JLUR. Both of these vehicles offer VASTLY different experiences, but it really comes down to which experience you enjoy more and what you are looking to do with your vehicle. Personally, I enjoy the higher ride, off-road capability, ability to customize, and general feeling of freedom that comes with the Wrangler. Don't get me wrong, the Tesla Model S in my opinion is the best car in production today. The Jeep just has more of what I'm looking for at this point in my life. Do I miss instant torque and going 0-60 in less than 5 seconds? Yes. But I knew I wouldn't get anywhere close to that with a Wrangler and set my expectations as such. I have no regrets in switching, although I sense I'll be ordering a Model 3 Performance version sometime in the next couple years as a second vehicle.
Sponsored