People Stop, My Brights are not on!!

GuapoJeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I realigned mine a few cranks because I was getting flashed far too often. If you get a lift, you probably need to do it.
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I have factory LEDs on my Wrangler and got flashed a few times. I did the winch mod and ever since, nobody has flashed me and its been over a year now.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to remember is that your headlights are supposed to shine 150 to 200 feet (distance depends on state law) so using the 25'/3' rule does not work with lifted vehicles. With a car or lower vehicle the lights are not very high off the ground and almost level at the 3' mark so the beam easily lights up the road that 150+ feet. With a lifted Jeep or higher truck, the angle that is created when using the 25'/3' rule does not allow the headlights to light up the road the required distance.

The formula is to measure from the ground to the center point in your headlight (look for the dimple) and subtract 2 inches for headlights up to the 48" mark and 2.5" for anything above that. The right headlight is set to that same mark (center -2/2.5) at 25' from the wall and the left headlight is set 2" lower (center -4/4.5). This allows the right headlight to shine farther down the road while at the same time not blinding on coming traffic due to lowering the left 2 additional inches.

Last edited:

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I just dropped mine a few turns. I’m using the fogs as well because it covers the shoulder well so I can see walkers and animals. I get flashed more with fogs than just the heads. No lift but have 34” tires.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Here's a stupid idea I haven't thought through. What if (legalities notwithstanding) some vendor came out with a product that looked like a baseball cap (two caps actually) that could be attached above each of the headlights?

It might block light heading up, for visibility, that doesn't otherwise blind oncoming motorists though.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I've found that turning off my fog lights stops people feeling the need to flash me. From the driver seat the factory fogs seem fine to me, but I haven't actually messed with them to see how they are aligned.
When I turn on the fogs I get flashed constantly. I think they're only meant to be used in fog and really blind oncoming motorists - or they were adjusted wrong.

Of course now I have the Quake LEDs and never get flashed. But I leave the fogs off unless it's foggy.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Around here, everyone throws in the cheap HID kits without having proper projectors (especially the lifted, diesel bro-dozers), use off-road LED lights in place of headlamps, and several DBs run their light bars on the street as fogs (hint, they are not fog lights). Then all of the new cars started coming out with irritatingly bright LEDs. Even in a tall 4Runner, I was constantly being blinded by oncoming lights. Now that I have my Jeep and its factory LEDs, I have resolved to become part of the problem instead of the solution. People bright-light me, they get some back. The cat's out of the bag, so everyone else will have to evolve and adapt to the new trend in lighting. Eventually we will all be wearing sunglasses at night.

The Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Viper, TJ, JLUR
Around here, everyone throws in the cheap HID kits without having proper projectors (especially the lifted, diesel bro-dozers), use off-road LED lights in place of headlamps, and several DBs run their light bars on the street as fogs (hint, they are not fog lights). Then all of the new cars started coming out with irritatingly bright LEDs. Even in a tall 4Runner, I was constantly being blinded by oncoming lights. Now that I have my Jeep and its factory LEDs, I have resolved to become part of the problem instead of the solution. People bright-light me, they get some back. The cat's out of the bag, so everyone else will have to evolve and adapt to the new trend in lighting. Eventually we will all be wearing sunglasses at night.
It is funny how when a new JL has bad steering or death wobbles, the owner brings the car back to the dealership and has them attempt to fix it or go to the aftermarket to solve the problem, but when their headlights are aimed up too high they throw up their hands and say that jeep is infallible from the factory and everyone else has to deal with it.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
It is funny how when a new JL has bad steering or death wobbles, the owner brings the car back to the dealership and has them attempt to fix it or go to the aftermarket to solve the problem, but when their headlights are aimed up too high they throw up their hands and say that jeep is infallible from the factory and everyone else has to deal with it.
The majority of feedback on this thread is to adjust them, not throw up your hands and blind the other guy.

Now, I must admit, @00Sebby's response is not quite out of, what he calls, the DB category.

Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
The majority of feedback on this thread is to adjust them, not throw up your hands and blind the other guy.

Now, I must admit, @00Sebby's response is not quite out of, what he calls, the DB category.
I was feeling humorous when I posted this morning but I guess I should've put some wink emojis or LOLs in my post to make the sarcastic humor more obvious. ;):CWL: << See? More sarcasm. C'mon, I don't really think people can "evolve" as fast as vehicle lighting technology nor do I really expect us all to be "wearing sunglasses at night". (clues to not really being serious).

No one has flashed their headlights at me in the 4000+ miles and the cutoff seems to be about where it should be. If I was getting flashed, I would adjust them just like I did on my 4Runner after an H9 conversion and leveling the front end.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
My apologies @00Sebby, I just did what I call out other people for, jumping to conclusions.

Again, my apologies. The first beer is on me.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
My apologies @00Sebby, I just did what I call out other people for, jumping to conclusions.

Again, my apologies. The first beer is on me.
Cheers! :beer::beer: No harm, no foul and I do it too.

Honestly, the reason for my sarcasm in my original post is all of the aftermarket irresponsibility that goes on in the automotive arena. Now that I am getting older, I rely on quality lighting at night. I'm all for good quality HID retro kits done right, quality LED replacement headlights, etc. But too many people take the cheap way out and bolt whatever they can find on eBay into their vehicles... LED or HID bulbs with out proper projectors, bolting in Walmart crap in place of factory headlights, and the ultimate, use light bars in place of headlights and driving/fog lights. In Tennessee, no one gives a crap about autos being safe or compliant to regulations. So we have trucks, Jeeps, cars, wreckers driving down the road looking like a glare-ridden Las Vegas billboard and it's all acceptable. That was the basis of my earlier post. The bro-dozer trucks and, unfortunately, Jeeps seem to be the most common offenders.

Like this 4Runner guy here in Knoxville. I see him running up and down this bridge day and night with whatever LED bulbs he put in place of his fogs. If I am heading the other direction, I flash the Jeep brights at him just to feel even. :CWL:

IMG_0489.jpeg

GuapoJeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Cheers! :beer::beer: No harm, no foul and I do it too.

Honestly, the reason for my sarcasm in my original post is all of the aftermarket irresponsibility that goes on in the automotive arena. Now that I am getting older, I rely on quality lighting at night. I'm all for good quality HID retro kits done right, quality LED replacement headlights, etc. But too many people take the cheap way out and bolt whatever they can find on eBay into their vehicles... LED or HID bulbs with out proper projectors, bolting in Walmart crap in place of factory headlights, and the ultimate, use light bars in place of headlights and driving/fog lights. In Tennessee, no one gives a crap about autos being safe or compliant to regulations. So we have trucks, Jeeps, cars, wreckers driving down the road looking like a glare-ridden Las Vegas billboard and it's all acceptable. That was the basis of my earlier post. The bro-dozer trucks and, unfortunately, Jeeps seem to be the most common offenders.

Like this 4Runner guy here in Knoxville. I see him running up and down this bridge day and night with whatever LED bulbs he put in place of his fogs. If I am heading the other direction, I flash the Jeep brights at him just to feel even. :CWL:

IMG_0489.jpeg
It's funny that he bugged you enough to take a picture of him. Lol. We have a guy around here that flies up and down residential streets in his BMW. He violates the high beam rule and I truly enjoy using my high beams and fogs on him.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
If people wouldn't look directly into the lights it really wouldn't bother them too much
Baloney! Headlights that are not aimed properly are super irritating to oncoming drivers, even if you don't look directly into them, not to mention dangerous.
Sponsored