Sponsored

Pennzoil Platinum no longer lists MS-13340 spec, but Castrol Edge does.

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Was looking at Castrol's website and noticed that it listed Edge 5W-30 meets "engine test requirements" for MS-13340 HERE. I then looked at Pennzoil's website and noticed that the page for Platinum no longer lists the MS-13340 spec. I also checked the viscosity specific spec sheet and same thing. It lists SP, but not MS-13340. Is Pennzoil Platinum no longer the manufacturer preferred oil?
Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Pretty sure the two jugs I bought yesterday still list it. Honestly as long as it is SN Plus or better is my only real concern. The Penzoil is SP and on of the best in my opinion for DI engines as it seems to build up less on the valves.

OP
OP
jg45

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Pretty sure the two jugs I bought yesterday still list it. Honestly as long as it is SN Plus or better is my only real concern. The Penzoil is SP and on of the best in my opinion for DI engines as it seems to build up less on the valves.
I agree. I thought it was interesting that the data sheets and web ads no longer listed it, but Castrol did.
Do you have some information about Pennzoil having less carbon buildup on the valves versus other brands? I would be interested in seeing that. I found my previous Xterra was noisier on startup after 30 days on PP than on Castrol.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Just anecdotal posts. I did a lot of reading about it when we had a Kia. Those guys swore by PP, and when they pulled the heads to do the valves they looked better than most. Whether it was the oil or combination of factors I don’t know.

Different engines like different oils, the additives in each play a role. My Cummins was super noisy on valvoline blue (the Cummins recommended) but pretty quiet on delo.

Playing this game on two vehicles right now as this week is the first time I have changed either. Starting with my favorite the PP. supposedly it’s noisy in the 3.5 ecoboost. If it is I will try the motocraft synthetic everyone swears by.

jonboy

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR (stock), 2012 JKUR (one tons on 39s)
Just picked up Pennzoil Platinum for my 2021 JL2.0T oil change and the bottle does state it meets/exceeds MS-13340 and the mnfg date on the bottle is Aug 2022.

Sponsored

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
Last oil change I switched to Valvoline Full Synthetic Extended Protection 5W-30. Definitely more quite on startup. Mileage is the same. Perhaps a little better.

Coltron_Actual

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 2006 LJ, 2021 Rubicon
I am sad to find that there isn't a Rotella that meets this spec today. But glad I found out about it. I'll fall back on Valvoline, but do most people concern themselves with the Chrysler spec, or just look for the SN Plus (or SP)?
Sponsored