First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I have zero experience with these campers. I have owned and used over 25 RVs over my years and am an admitted RV junkie. I went to their website to see what they were fully expecting to tell you they were junk. Depending on their attention to detail, I'm impressed. About the only thing I would add is shocks unless that is the Dexter torsion bar axle, I can't tell by the pics. For off road, wood frames will usually give better service life. Be aware, this won't handle the Rubicon, but if you use it to get to a remote base camp, I'd sure put it on my short list.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks. I’ve got precious little experience with campers to base an opinion on, but when I ran across these they seem like they’ve got good build quality, that’s why I asked. I’m not an avid camper but this little thing seems like it could be very convenient. I wouldn’t be taking it “serious” off roading. Maybe places like the more remote parts of Big Bend where there no hotels/cabins.

@MtCamper got any other suggestions in this price range?

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking into Intech RV trailers, they have several smaller option (flyer series), aluminum frame and structure and an “off-road” option. If @MtCamper has any thoughts on these it would be appreciated.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Sorry guys, I haven't been in the tiny camper market for a long time. We've lived in ours for up to 6-7 months a year for the last three years. What you can comfortably tow with your JL just can't be used that way unless you sacrifice way more creature comforts than we're willing to give up. My general suggestions are to keep your tow weight under 2000# if you are planning on off road. Avoid any unit that says ultra-light. That's industry code for breaks easy. Wood framing will flex some in use but won't break, aluminum is good depending on the grade and assembly method used and can be better than wood, but usually isn't as durable for rough use. Be sure to weigh your trailer loaded and ready to travel and make sure at least 10% of the GVW is on the tongue. Tongue light loads end up with a tail wagging the dog situation and that's way scary. I'd like at least 15" wheels for off road and I'd probably carry two spares. If you plan to mostly tow on pavement or improved gravel, camp and jeep from there, then I wouldn't be afraid to take the trailer weight up to 3500. If you set it up right with brakes, sway control and a weight distributing hitch, I'd even go to 4500, but don't tell anyone. I wouldn't go over 3500 if the trailer I chose had a large frontal area. For me, I'd probably look seriously at a pop up like the A-Liner or Jayco Baja. There is no perfect RV, they all represent some type of compromise. Look at your local used market and buy right and you won't loose much if any money. Have fun.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@MtCamper awesome information. Thanks. I’m not planning to take it to difficult places. I’m certainly not going to live in it for any extended period. A week or so on vacation maximum.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
from what I see in those links you can probably build that DIY for under a grand. There is nothing to them. Looks like a light duty plywood body on a Harbor Freight Trailer with some diamond plated trim.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
from what I see in those links you can probably build that DIY for under a grand. There is nothing to them. Looks like a light duty plywood body on a Harbor Freight Trailer with some diamond plated trim.
Really? You want to build me one for that? How much will you charge for labor beyond the $1K in parts?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Sorry man. i've done enough projects to not do them for others even if they paid me lol. but here seriously you can do it quite easily

Sponsored

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, Nissan Frontier, BMW i3, future JLUR diesel
Have you looked into hiker trailers? I’ve had my trailer from them for 2 years now and can’t say enough great things about build quality, price, and customer service. They offer teardrops from 4x8 up to 6x10. They have “highway only” models starting as low as 3k and their offroad models start around 5. You custom order to your specs, and their solid trailers with good options. I have a mid range offroad 5x10 with airbag ad shock suspension, 10” of wheel travel, 25gal onboard water, with instant hot water, stove, heater, etc. I’ve taken it on plenty of dirt roads and some where a good Jeep was needed even without the trailer. They have a wait list so if you need one now it’s not an easy option, but they have used ones for sale come up now and again.

A9EE3443-3636-4F7D-ABCD-55EC525E0440.jpeg

F004CDBD-A8D5-4014-91C6-07F6D3F6EF74.jpeg

2B974157-C50B-487F-82D7-97EC50C0B867.jpeg

10326E45-D928-449A-86F9-FC20BCADA226.jpeg

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Have you looked into hiker trailers? I’ve had my trailer from them for 2 years now and can’t say enough great things about build quality, price, and customer service. They offer teardrops from 4x8 up to 6x10. They have “highway only” models starting as low as 3k and their offroad models start around 5. You custom order to your specs, and their solid trailers with good options. I have a mid range offroad 5x10 with airbag ad shock suspension, 10” of wheel travel, 25gal onboard water, with instant hot water, stove, heater, etc. I’ve taken it on plenty of dirt roads and some where a good Jeep was needed even without the trailer. They have a wait list so if you need one now it’s not an easy option, but they have used ones for sale come up now and again.
These look really cool. Do you have any photos of the interior or of the rear door open?

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, Nissan Frontier, BMW i3, future JLUR diesel
Here’s what I’ve got on hand. They have more on their website, and I can get more if you have other questions too. I added that table seen in some of the pics, it’s fully removable and can be used inside or outside

FABA798B-2DF4-4467-94C2-8F1531A52B3B.jpeg

D937B58C-95FC-4363-8514-0BD32CEF905C.jpeg

EAE744DB-2716-40C1-BF01-4FCA9E9CF0F8.jpeg

E5C095E6-9DE9-46C1-BA15-63DD8B34DD61.jpeg

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
That does look pretty comfy and MOBILE !

JIMBO
Sponsored