Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that sounds right, but there's nothing right about having to shift down to 3rd or 4th just to pass on the highway (while doing 65). I'll just have to get used to it.
You could always supercharge it hahaha.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that sounds right, but there's nothing right about having to shift down to 3rd or 4th just to pass on the highway (while doing 65). I'll just have to get used to it.
Why not? Even autos downshift to pass. They certainly don't stay in 7th or 8th gear. Heck, even in my brother's ZL1 1LE you downshift to pass. (Although you really don't have to. You do it because it turns it into a rocket ship.)

I'm looking forward to more @Rhinebeck01 reviews on the PC as the miles pile up.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01

do you really feel this is necessary with the stock response of your NA V6? I think my JL 3.6 V6 is really peppy with no significant lag. in fact, that was the first thing I took notice of on the test drive. I'm content with mine as is but just wondering if I'm missing something. I also drive an older 4Runner with a NA V8, and that thing is a little faster from a stop but the difference isn't dramatic.
Totally agree with you! must be having some bad gas in certain states.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Totally agree with you! must be having some bad gas in certain states.
This post is laughable at best. Sure hope you are not serious.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Why not? Even autos downshift to pass. They certainly don't stay in 7th or 8th gear. Heck, even in my brother's ZL1 1LE you downshift to pass. (Although you really don't have to. You do it because it turns it into a rocket ship.)

I'm looking forward to more @Rhinebeck01 reviews on the PC as the miles pile up.
Having to downshift shouldn't be a requirement at highway speeds. If I am going 65 I should have enough power to get up to 75 in a reasonable amount of time even in 6th gear. Same with moderate speeds. If I am at 45 in 4th gear I should be able to get to 55 pretty quickly. Neither of these things happen. At 45mph, I have to go to THIRD to get any pep, and that's just silly to me.
My last car was a rocket ship and I obviously don't expect that out of the Jeep, but there's a difference between "not a rocket ship" and "responds like a snail in mud".

If this Pedal Commander thingy can help with that then I am definitely interested.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Having to downshift shouldn't be a requirement at highway speeds. If I am going 65 I should have enough power to get up to 75 in a reasonable amount of time even in 6th gear. Same with moderate speeds. If I am at 45 in 4th gear I should be able to get to 55 pretty quickly. Neither of these things happen. At 45mph, I have to go to THIRD to get any pep, and that's just silly to me.
My last car was a rocket ship and I obviously don't expect that out of the Jeep, but there's a difference between "not a rocket ship" and "responds like a snail in mud".

If this Pedal Commander thingy can help with that then I am definitely interested.
Not sure what you drove before, but 6th isn't made for acceleration. It is really a second overdrive meant for maintaining speed and hitting the EPA loop sweet spot. 5th is geared like the JK's 6th, but accelerates ok on the interstate (mild acceleration). 5th is also considered an overdrive, although it gets from 65 to 75 with no problem, and I'm running 35's.

I thought you meant passing like on s 2 lane highway. 4th or even third is necessary in most 6speed manual vehicles for that kind of move, automatics included. I can see it feeling like a dog compared to a fast car, though.

I still doubt the 3.6/ 8 speed auto stays in 8th or even 7th for any meaningful acceleration. On a 2 lane pass, it would surely drop three or even 4 gears. Maybe even to 3rd if mashing it from 55mph.

BTW, the PC won't help there. It doesn't increase power. Only throttle response.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what you drove before, but 6th isn't made for acceleration. It is really a second overdrive meant for maintaining speed
I drove a (dropped) 300HP VW GTI, and in 6th gear that thing would easily rocket from 70-100 in a blink. As I said, I don't expect anything close to that from the Jeep (and, frankly, it would be scary if it did do that) but having to down shift past two gears just to get a little pep on the interstate just seems odd.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a (dropped) 300HP VW GTI, and in 6th gear that thing would easily rocket from 70-100 in a blink. As I said, I don't expect anything close to that from the Jeep (and, frankly, it would be scary if it did do that) but having to down shift past two gears just to get a little pep on the interstate just seems odd.
I see what you mean. Still, even in the hot car, I drop two gears just because....fast! Lol! Those GTI's are sweet!

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see what you mean. Still, even in the hot car, I drop two gears just because....fast! Lol! Those GTI's are sweet!
I'll always miss that car. It was a terrible Colorado vehicle, but damn it was fun. If I ever get a second car I'll definitely get another GTI. That thing was amazing. <3

upload_2019-4-8_12-6-7.png

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
This post is laughable at best. Sure hope you are not serious.
I sure am seious, my JLUS running small 33s has plenty of pep! remember its a jeep not a sports car. Remove those ten ply 35s or 37s and you will get that pep back.

Sponsored

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sure am seious, my JLUS running small 33s has plenty of pep! remember its a jeep not a sports car. Remove those ten ply 35s or 37s and you will get that pep back.
Really??

I just got mine 1500 miles ago and bone stock on 33's it's a chuggy beast.

Maybe it's got pep compared to a Little Rascal but that's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@wrangster

I'm running stock wheels and tires on my 2dr. Rubicon.

Can tell you stock it is plenty of pep... with the Pedal Commander installed, there is a major difference for the good..

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
@wrangster

I'm running stock wheels and tires on my 2dr. Rubicon.

Can tell you stock it is plenty of pep... with the Pedal Commander installed, there is a major difference for the good..
I have a 4dr. and satisfied with the take off power. When I purchased the wrangler that was one item that the salesman pitched on. I just do not see how it could help with the front end power when response to me is fine. Maybe in high altitude regions I would see a difference? but here in Texas we are pretty flat.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, did my 1300+ mile, non-stop, road trip from New York to Vero Beach, Florida yesterday. As mentioned in a past post, I pulled my trailer with Harley Fatboy 01 on it..

First road trip with the Pedal Commander on the JL. YES, yes, yes, it made a major, positive difference in regard to my towing experience!

I'm sold on the Pedal Commander... Wow!

Frigggin JL can really get up and go now... in a flash, it responds to my foot pressure on the gas pedal..

No more waiting for the JL to get up and go so to speak..... Pull out to pass, etc. with the trailer on back and the JL flies... sure before the Pedal Commander, it would move right along..... but it was much much much slower to respond to foot down on the gas pedal as it is now with the PC.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In regard to the Pedal Commander.... It can be had right now at Northridge 4x4 for $247.95 if you use the forum code..

A little bird told me... that soon Northridge 4x4 will probably be forced to sell the Pedal Commander for no less then $299.99.. because of MAP agreement..

SO, if you want the Pedal Commander, now is the time to buy, as soon the price will increase by $52.04.

Sponsored