Sponsored

PEARL - JLU Sport Build

For my rig, with 33x12.5s, go Rubicon suspension or other 2/2.5” lift (read thread)?

• Rubicon

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
This is [currently unnamed] (been thinking of a couple) Pearl, my 2018 white JLU sport.

Current:
  • Method MR701's (17x8.5) w/ 33x12.5" Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
  • Removed bumper-fender trim pieces.
  • Removed air dam/plastic skid plate under front bumper.
Update, 9/30:
  • ARB Bondi Deluxe front bumper
  • Smittybuilt XRC winch
  • Aux Beam off-road lights

Next (not necessarily in this order):
  • suspension, undecided
  • roof rails/basket, undecided
  • LED headlights, I like these Axials but maybe the KC Gravity Pros.
  • LED fog light replacement, diode dynamics (probably).
  • Front bumper, Quadratec stubby w/:
    • winch, probably quadratec
    • trail lights, KC or Hella probably
  • Rock sliders, I like these.
  • Soft top (maybe)
  • Many, many, many other various internal/external accessories.

Suspension (thoughts?): I'd like to keep the jeep low, I just want enough extra clearance over stock for the larger tires. I'm thinking springs/shocks not spacers because I'd like to improve performance as long as I'm doing it. Trying to decide if I want to do Rubicon take off or one of the 2/2.5" lifts.

Rails/basket: Just trying to decide between Rhino, Thule, and Yakima, which system works best for me.

Before:

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 77413711-C294-4D66-8B4E-6816E1EC9F4D

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build E228AB97-E0BE-4EE9-B555-5F2DF5703399

New wheels and tires going on:

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 1B5789DD-8A78-4CCC-B2C6-D817C3FE1310

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 5AC571BE-E2B3-430C-B682-E2A6CD87B08E
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Not a great shot of the new wheels/tires, I’ll post a better “after pic” later.

I love the look though.
Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 0F73DFFE-274B-4DC0-8D14-85412DCB8F6D

5Petes

First Name
Rustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in Punkn
This may be an unpopular opinion given the forum and many of its members but I’d just do the rubicon springs and shocks because they can be had cheap and are pretty easy to find. You can always change shocks later if you are and will be happy with staying that size. Building many times over isn’t advised unless you love spending money time and again on the same things.

I did the rubicon route as stage 1 (for a year while I planned my build) and loved the ride and it did great off-road plus kept mpg over 20 on the mixed highway commute. I wanted bigger for playing including axles so I took mine off and went metal cloak game changer but would do it again for my kids or wife for moderate wheeling. My son now has the rubicon tires and wheels on his JK. I didn’t like it at first because of the caster but spent the $70 on the mopar lift lower control arms and it was a joy to drive. The JL has tons of travel so you don’t have to lift it as high to fit those tires or have a good amount of flex to keep the tires down off-road. Here is one of my trips on the rubicon suspension and these aren’t even maxed out.

4A81D8C4-EC94-4835-84F0-699A0630DDEB.jpeg

6901C4ED-2AC1-4F6A-8E00-48044D07C2E4.jpeg

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
This may be an unpopular opinion given the forum and many of its members but I’d just do the rubicon springs and shocks because they can be had cheap and are pretty easy to find. You can always change shocks later if you are and will be happy with staying that size. Building many times over isn’t advised unless you love spending money time and again on the same things.

I did the rubicon route as stage 1 (for a year while I planned my build) and loved the ride and it did great off-road plus kept mpg over 20 on the mixed highway commute. I wanted bigger for playing including axles so I took mine off and went metal cloak game changer but would do it again for my kids or wife for moderate wheeling. My son now has the rubicon tires and wheels on his JK. I didn’t like it at first because of the caster but spent the $70 on the mopar lift lower control arms and it was a joy to drive. The JL has tons of travel so you don’t have to lift it as high to fit those tires or have a good amount of flex to keep the tires down off-road. Here is one of my trips on the rubicon suspension and these aren’t even maxed out.

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 6901C4ED-2AC1-4F6A-8E00-48044D07C2E4

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 6901C4ED-2AC1-4F6A-8E00-48044D07C2E4
Agree if you plan to stay 33s this is a good solution. Possibly throw a .75/.5” spacer on during installation. I bought mine with Mopar (so called 2”) lift and 33s and looked out of proportion. Needed at least 35s but I had plans to add Rubi flares and 37s anyway. Just wanted to show you Mopar lift and 33s for reference.
Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build BB1CB7E8-D9FD-451C-B619-80EF0BB6BAB5
Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 7B254A62-D0B1-446B-A44C-C219E020FB9B

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer

Actually that looks great! I was thinking the same thing, go Rubi suspension while I figure out what I want to do... you can find them for so cheap that it almost seems like even if I decided I wanted something different after a month, it would still be worth it. I have a suspicion I'll like the Rubi suspension enough to keep it for a while though. Glad to hear the rid/off-road handling was good.

I've heard people on this forum say the same thing about the caster; if you get Rubicon take-off suspension to get the Mopar lower control arm and it greatly improves the ride and handling.

Sponsored

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Agree if you plan to stay 33s this is a good solution. Possibly throw a .75/.5” spacer on during installation. I bought mine with Mopar (so called 2”) lift and 33s and looked out of proportion. Needed at least 35s but I had plans to add Rubi flares and 37s anyway. Just wanted to show you Mopar lift and 33s for reference.
BB1CB7E8-D9FD-451C-B619-80EF0BB6BAB5.png
7B254A62-D0B1-446B-A44C-C219E020FB9B.jpeg
Are those true 33's? I thought the stock Rubicon tires were supposed to be 33's, then I saw a set for sale online and the size was actually 285/70/17, which I guess is close enough to 33", I was just surprised (don't know why) that they weren't "true" 33's.

I'll probably stick with 33's, at least for a while. So far I really like them and I think they strike a good balance between size/practicality and capability, especially the 33x12.5 - these things are fat!

I actually like the look of that setup in your pics, lift + 33 looks good imo. I've been trying to figure this out but it's been hard to find exact info... Is the 2" Mopar lift a 2" lift for the sport or the rubicon? Because I thought the Rubicon already sat like an inch higher than the sport models, but the Mopar lift doesn't specify how much lift it will give for which model. If it's meant for sports then it seems like it would only be a 1" lift for Rubicons? I guess I'm really wondering how much "lift" the Rubi springs will give me, and if I decide to go with a 2" lift (like the Mopar) later will I notice that much difference. Thanks for the comments, yours looks great!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Are those true 33's? I thought the stock Rubicon tires were supposed to be 33's, then I saw a set for sale online and the size was actually 285/70/17, which I guess is close enough to 33", I was just surprised (don't know why) that they weren't "true" 33's.

I'll probably stick with 33's, at least for a while. So far I really like them and I think they strike a good balance between size/practicality and capability, especially the 33x12.5 - these things are fat!

I actually like the look of that setup in your pics, lift + 33 looks good imo. I've been trying to figure this out but it's been hard to find exact info... Is the 2" Mopar lift a 2" lift for the sport or the rubicon? Because I thought the Rubicon already sat like an inch higher than the sport models, but the Mopar lift doesn't specify how much lift it will give for which model. If it's meant for sports then it seems like it would only be a 1" lift for Rubicons? I guess I'm really wondering how much "lift" the Rubi springs will give me, and if I decide to go with a 2" lift (like the Mopar) later will I notice that much difference. Thanks for the comments, yours looks great!
These were the 285/70/17 tires from a Rubicon. The mopar 2” lift if more like 3.5” on a Sport. The measurements listed is related to a Rubicon. I have added Rubi flares and added 37s. Here is pic for reference. A few other mods since then also :) don’t pay attention to the Rubicon hood decal - added take off hood and haven’t changed lettering yet :)

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 95488597-D13A-4275-8AB9-D53AA48F21C0

5Petes

First Name
Rustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in Punkn
I got a full 2” out of just the rubicon suspension and it was perfect for a 33” IMO. They came from a 2.0 hard top with tow package and were the highest number springs all way around. My Metalcloak 3.5 gave me more than that over the rubicon so I’m in the sky compared to stock. Here is a sport, rubi, MC front spring comparison and the growth of mine in boring flat driveway pics for comparison. The MC lift doesn’t really squat that much. It’s weird picture angle and that was before rock sliders, winch and bumper.

9AFE7CB4-DDBF-4930-92A7-2F04DFEA8629.jpeg

9679FD30-5A3A-48E1-91FA-ECA2BF478C73.jpeg

EC2360E2-27DA-47F4-93C2-3495CE6EE261.jpeg

A2C2D4F9-EC5E-4C38-8DA6-55B88E440EA2.jpeg

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
She has been named! PEARL

Updates on Pearl... not a ton has been done to be honest but it feels like it's more personalized and starting to come together. Most notable upgrade iS the tire carrier. The 33x12.5s weigh a little over 100lbs and I was seeing a lot of wiggle coming from the spare (even after modifying the bump stops), and the tail gate would sag when opened so I wanted to get that taken care of - now it's super burly and I can add access (rotopax gas cans coming). I'll post some before/after of the tire carrier later.

Current:
  • Method MR701's (17x8.5) w/ 33x12.5" Nitto Ridge Grapplers
  • Removed bumper-fender trim pieces
  • Removed air dam/plastic skid plate under front bumper
  • Maximus-3 stand alone tire carrier added
  • KC Hilites Gravity Pro headlights
  • Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights - amber with the lenses removed gives a really nice white.
Plenty of other little things... stubby antenna, weather tech floor mats, tool bag (blue ridge), recovery gear, first aid kit, various other blue ridge goodies, lots of stickers.

Pearl in the wild:
Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build IMG_3782.JPEG

Oceano Dunes

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build IMG_3851.JPEG

Gravity Pro headlights and stock fog lights (pre-Diode Dynamics).

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build IMG_3873.JPEG
Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build IMG_3875.JPEG
Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build IMG_3876.JPEG

Mobbing around Anza-Borrego Dessert SP. DD fog lights installed. "Accidentally" doing Pinyon Mountain Trail and crushing it, only to find out about the Badge of Honor app from another Jeep halfway through the trail when I had no service :(

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build IMG_4068
Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build IMG_4468.JPEG

Dope campsite in Tahoe National Forest

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build IMG_4470.JPEG
Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build IMG_4791.JPEG

Finally clean! Long awaited and needed hand washing to get in all those little crevices.

More to come! I'm about to pull the trigger on some sliders... very torn between White Knuckle and Westin step sliders. Will also do Westin skid plates in the near future.

JLKSA

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Unlimited 2.0

Updates on Pearl... not a ton has been done to be honest but it feels like it's more personalized and starting to come together. Most notable upgrade iS the tire carrier. The 33x12.5s weigh a little over 100lbs and I was seeing a lot of wiggle coming from the spare (even after modifying the bump stops), and the tail gate would sag when opened so I wanted to get that taken care of - now it's super burly and I can add access (rotopax gas cans coming). I'll post some before/after of the tire carrier later.

Current:
  • Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights - amber with the lenses removed gives a really nice white.
Plenty of other little things... stubby antenna, weather tech floor mats, tool bag (blue ridge), recovery gear, first aid kit, various other blue ridge goodies, lots of stickers.

Pearl in the wild:

Oceano Dunes

Mobbing around Anza-Borrego Dessert SP. DD fog lights installed. "Accidentally" doing Pinyon Mountain Trail and crushing it, only to find out about the Badge of Honor app from another Jeep halfway through the trail when I had no service :(

Finally clean! Long awaited and needed hand washing to get in all those little crevices.

More to come! I'm about to pull the trigger on some sliders... very torn between White Knuckle and Westin step sliders. Will also do Westin skid plates in the near future.
Could you please tell me the offset of your wheel and tire package? I have a 2021 sport and I would like this look for my rig someday.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Current:

Pearl in the wild:

Oceano Dunes

Just contact badge of honor and they will send you a badge even if you didn’t check in.

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Could you please tell me the offset of your wheel and tire package? I have a 2021 sport and I would like this look for my rig someday.
Long response but I thought I'd update after about a year of owning these wheels and tires....

They are Method MR701s, 17x8.5", +0mm offset, with 33x12.5" Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

MR701s are a new type of wheel from Method they call "bead grips". I wasn't sure if it was a gimmick but thought I'd give it a shot because Methods are great wheels, I liked the look, and didn't want bead locks (or faux bead locks). They WORK. I have a fairly wide and heavy tire for a 33, and have done crawly trails at 12psi and never had an issue and felt very secure and stable the entire time.

Offset
The 0mm offset pushes the wheels away from the body slightly compared with stock, which I really liked the look of but you will get more spray/splatter. Due to the increased tire diameter and the offset, I was rubbing in front when turning the wheel to nearly full lock. I had to remove the air damn/trim piece that bridges the front fenders and bumpers, now no rubbing - just a few screws problem solved (I like the look without the trim piece better anyway).

MOSTLY no rubbing now... I get very slight rubbing on the rear fenders at full flex. I believe this is more due to the shape of the fender than clearance. The fender kind of arcs downward toward the ground with a cavity for the tire inside the fender. Because my wheels/tires are wider than stock and stick out farther from the jeep, at full flex they rub on this outside "arcing" edge of the fender (where all the plastic rivets are located). I'm sure you could fix this without lifting by either trimming the fender of getting aftermarket fenders. As it is now it's not an issue for me.

The other main issue you'll encounter with the 0 offset is that now your spare will sit farther from the tailgate than stock and the tire will no longer be in contact with the bump stops on the tailgate. You'll need to extend the bump stops to prevent excess movement from the spare (that can damage your tailgate) when going over bumps; this can be done simply and cheaply with some rubber tubing from a hardware store - great solution if your wheel/tire combo isn't too heavy.... I went with the widest tire I could get in a 33, which is fairly heavy (100+lbs, about 2x stock) and I was still getting a lot of wiggle from the spare and my tailgate sagged when I opened it. I now have a tire carrier that is super solid.

In summary I have to say I LOVE this wheel tire combo. Pearl is my DD (aside from a motorcycle) and my MPG has suffered but I think it's a good compromise with performance. After a year and 15,000+ miles I still have LOTS of tread left. I'm surprised by how much the on-road performance improved actually; wider tires, 0 offset, no lift, feels very planted on the road. My wife even commented how much better it feels on road trips going around high-speed/interstate/mountain road corners. When I air down even to half of road pressure... these things are like climbing shoes for the Jeep, SO much grip; I am still surprised and impressed every time I'm on trail.

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Just contact badge of honor and they will send you a badge even if you didn’t check in.
One of the guys I was on the trail with told me the same thing... I have emailed them probably about a dozen times in the last 6 months and have received no response :(
If you know a trick to getting their attention or a quicker response I'm all ears.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
One of the guys I was on the trail with told me the same thing... I have emailed them probably about a dozen times in the last 6 months and have received no response :(
If you know a trick to getting their attention or a quicker response I'm all ears.
It always worked for me. Sorry to her they haven’t been responsive

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Successful weekend mods.

ARB Bondi Deluxe Bumper + smittybilt XRC gen 3 winch w/ synthetic line
Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 5DAEC7EF-7C81-42B4-A390-E2D4A8218DC2

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 4835E318-36E5-403E-8454-6C195EAF337E

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 366685FB-F385-44FE-A466-40234297DADB

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build BC919E48-F04B-4E0E-9138-934593795B1E

I wouldn’t say this was an easy installation…. I am very pleased with the fit and finish and quality and look of the bumper.
I didn’t have the correct brackets to mount my Diode Dynamics fog lights, had to order new ones, so those will go in later.

ARB On-board Air Compressor
Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 761A01DA-355C-4925-99B6-7A0EC14C351D

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build 4D9A339D-8628-43E6-A58C-A2F0D340FA51

Jeep Wrangler JL PEARL - JLU Sport Build EB1903C7-ABFE-4D10-B4AE-32757CD18DDD

Mounted an ARB Single Piston High Flow compressor under the hood. Hung it off of a piece of angle iron bolted to 2 of the existing studs the protrude from the body at the top of the firewall. I wanted to try and mount it in the engine bay without having to order and additional bracket - I had random pieces of angled mild steel brackets laying around so I wanted to use what I had, plus I didn’t want to wait. I thought about mounting it lower behind the firewall (This method) but didn’t want to buy something extra. I think it’s great supporting the people out there that a selling their own brackets for solutions they’ve come up with, I just wanted to try it myself… [Banned Site]’s method is the nicest I’ve seen though and may still end up going that route if I don’t like what I’ve done. Seems pretty sturdy and doesn’t appear to contact the roof.

I wired it to the Aux 1 button inside the Jeep. Just went for an air chuck coming right out of the compressor body for now. May relocate to a remote location later but this works for now.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited: