SultanWild

First Name
Sultan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Hi everyone,

So i was experiencing a pre detonation with my 2020 3.6, took it to the dealer first they tried to clean up the combustion chamber with a cleaner but unfortunately that didn't work. So next step they had to remove the cylinder heads to reach the pistons to clean them and replacing the pcv valve. My advice to everyone is to go with an oil catch can to avoid issues and repairs like this.

IMG_20220217_105607.jpg

IMG_20220217_105645.jpg

IMG_20220217_105656.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

SultanWild

First Name
Sultan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many miles on it?
I heard the noise first at 7000 miles. First repair was at 14000 miles using Bluchem Carbon X by the dealer but no luck. The major repair was by removing the cylinder heads at 26700 miles. now Jeep has 28200 miles and so far so good

L.S.F

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hi @SultanWild ,
Just wondering if the removal of the cylinder heads to reach the pistons to clean them and replacing the pcv valve ended up resolving the issue you were having. I've a service due in 3 days where they suggested that they get to the pistons and clean them and also replace the PVC valve. But if that didn't work for you I might hold off and go down the route of using an oil catch can as you suggested.

Any view or experience on this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

OP
OP

SultanWild

First Name
Sultan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi @SultanWild ,
Just wondering if the removal of the cylinder heads to reach the pistons to clean them and replacing the pcv valve ended up resolving the issue you were having. I've a service due in 3 days where they suggested that they get to the pistons and clean them and also replace the PVC valve. But if that didn't work for you I might hold off and go down the route of using an oil catch can as you suggested.

Any view or experience on this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Hi @L.S.F

Removing the cylinder heads will allow more access to clean the already built up carbon deposits. But even after cleaning them manually and replacing the PCV valve will fix the issue for a short while only, what i have done after cleaning the carbon and replacing the PCV, I installed an oil catch can and used a can of sea foam spray top engine cleaner, It worked great for me.

My advice if you end up removing cylinder heads and replacing the PCV, Install an oil catch can immediately after this big job.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What gas are you using and how much ethanol is in it? What kind of oil? Those heads are filthy and the PCV alone isn’t enough to cause that. Most modern engines burn a ton of oil without a problem and the 3.6 does not.

OP
OP

SultanWild

First Name
Sultan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What gas are you using and how much ethanol is in it? What kind of oil? Those heads are filthy and the PCV alone isn’t enough to cause that. Most modern engines burn a ton of oil without a problem and the 3.6 does not.
@mwilk012, I live in the Sultanate of Oman, the fuel which I use is equivalent to 91 octane in USA. My JL was only dealer maintained and used Mopar 0w20. 3.6 pentastar upgrade is known for this issue, it has a faulty PCV and still no fix from Stellantis, I'm not the only one experiencing this here in Oman and the dealer is aware about this issue. Unfortunately I have sold the JL too.

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
@mwilk012, I live in the Sultanate of Oman, the fuel which I use is equivalent to 91 octane in USA. My JL was only dealer maintained and used Mopar 0w20. 3.6 pentastar upgrade is known for this issue, it has a faulty PCV and still no fix from Stellantis, I'm not the only one experiencing this here in Oman and the dealer is aware about this issue. Unfortunately I have sold the JL too.
It is by no means “known for this issue”. That engine is filthy. Oil consumption alone does not account for that. We regularly tear down engines burning several quarts of oil a month and they don’t look this bad.

Als@Ohio

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97, 14, 18 Wranglers
Hi everyone,

So i was experiencing a pre detonation with my 2020 3.6, took it to the dealer first they tried to clean up the combustion chamber with a cleaner but unfortunately that didn't work. So next step they had to remove the cylinder heads to reach the pistons to clean them and replacing the pcv valve. My advice to everyone is to go with an oil catch can to avoid issues and repairs like this.

Jeep Wrangler JL PCV VALVE ISSUES, PRE DETONATION, CARBON BUILD UP IMG_20220217_105656

Jeep Wrangler JL PCV VALVE ISSUES, PRE DETONATION, CARBON BUILD UP IMG_20220217_105656

[/QUOTE
There is a TSB about an updated PVC valve and cleaning the carbon. TSB #09-012-22, the lastest pvc pt #68210345AC. Do a Google search.
Jeep Wrangler JL PCV VALVE ISSUES, PRE DETONATION, CARBON BUILD UP Screenshot_20231116-225651

OP
OP

SultanWild

First Name
Sultan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is by no means “known for this issue”. That engine is filthy. Oil consumption alone does not account for that. We regularly tear down engines burning several quarts of oil a month and they don’t look this bad.
@mwilk012, its all about a faulty PCV valve

Sponsored

OP
OP

SultanWild

First Name
Sultan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which results in what, consumption of .25qt of oil in 7000 miles? That's NOTHING compared to what other engines are doing all over the country all the time.
Which results the above issue. Install an oil catch can and you will see it's more than . 25qt of oil

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Hmmmm, seems like maybe bad valve guides? But who knows based on just a photo.

Going to agree it probably is not just a bad pcv. Did you see visible smoke out the tailpipe?

Something else going on here, imo... preignition/detonation, sounds like really bad gas. Don't take this wrong but when I lived in KSA they loaded a regular tanker truck of fuel with diesel instead of gas and I think they never really cleaned it up right. Destroyed a government truck. Also saw them using fuel trucks as water trucks and vice versa. Yeah, never drank that tap water again...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Which results the above issue. Install an oil catch can and you will see it's more than . 25qt of oil
Catch can pics have been posted here for years and they never have more than a few ounces in them.
Sponsored