Sponsored

PCS to Hawaii (Lift Question) - lifted vehicle registered in Hawaii ?

HokieRubi

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Hey all, as you see in the title, I’m moving to Hawaii next year in orders. I’ve been doing research and Hawaii is putting me in a bind with my lift plans. Everything I’ve read indicates that getting a lifted vehicle registered in Hawaii is very difficult.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge or experience with this? I’m really not wanting to spend thousands only to be told I can’t register my jeep there due to the modifications. Thanks I’m advance!
Sponsored

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
If it's a PCS on orders, can't you keep your home state and keep it registered under wherever you live now?

OP
OP
HokieRubi

HokieRubi

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
If it's a PCS on orders, can't you keep your home state and keep it registered under wherever you live now?
I researched but couldn’t find any definitive answers. I’ll keep looking, at least I have some time to figure this out

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been stationed in HI. I’ve heard that recently they made it easier to recon (the term for getting a “reconstructed” vehicle registered). But I wouldn’t bank on that; they take pictures with iPads that get sent to city hall with your registration.

You can definitely keep your current state’s registration. There’s almost always a way. Don’t let this derail your plans for a lift. Worst case scenario, you install mud flaps and super glue some garden edging to your fenders and your jeep will temporarily look like a Bronco or an extreme recon... then tear it off when you’re done getting it registered- but like I said, try to keep your current state.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I've been going going to Hawaii for the last 20 years and have seen plenty of lifted trucks....the locals seem to love the lifted Tacoma's especially over there.

They even have their own "Hawaiian Style" trucks over there

https://www.modifind.com/offroad/style/hawaiian-truck-style-808/

unless you've got some extreme lift you will probably be fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HokieRubi

HokieRubi

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Thank you guys I’ll try to get in touch with the dmv out there and also definitely try to keep my current registration! Great info, thank you!

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Wow, those trucks are hideous! I see what I get to look forward to.........
Those are mild examples. You haven't seen anything yet... :facepalm: What base are you being assigned to, out of curiosity?

Cheers,
-CM-

Sponsored

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
^ Excellent! That’s where I work as well. :like:

Feel free to DM me with any questions, etc. Happy to oblige and to share the Aloha!

Cheers,
-CM-

15 Pieces of Rick Flair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla 3
Do you have a hard top? Soft tops get cut. Hawaii is overall a really safe place, but property crime (mostly small theft) is out of control.

If you're active duty, you'll be fine with keeping your home state registration. If you're a civilian get ready for some hurt: Hawaii bases yearly taxes on vehicle weight.

Moosebear

First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 84 Chevy M1008, 22 Axial SCX6
It's not a matter of registration. Hawaii requires you to get a safety inspection for any and all vehicles. You can't say you're just 'passing through' with your out of state plates. They know you live there and are going to be there awhile, and will make you get a safety inspection.
Sponsored