Sponsored

Payload Question - Specs vs Actual vs Door Jamb Sticker

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Looking at the detailed payload specs on Stelantis/FCA documents - manual, detailed specs, web site, etc - they all list the JLU payload GVWR-Curb Weight in the 1,136lbs - 1,351 lbs. For the JLU Rubicon 2.0 or 3.6 automatic it is 1,322 lbs (diesel is lower).

I've attached the 2021 Canadian specs pdf for reference as it is a bit more detailed than the US specs, but the key numbers are the same.

I understand that additional equipment (like steel bumpers, hard top, alpine sound system, etc) will eat into the payload.

However my JLUR 2.0 and every single other JLU I looked at the dealer (including a 4xe) had a max payload on the B-pillar door jamb of 850lbs. "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 385KG/850lbs".

That is ~500 lbs less than the payload in the specs - and there is no way to have that much weight in factory options over a JLUR-automatic.

So it seems obvious to me that the 850lbs is a generic, not vehicle specific placard. But that seems to be controlling from a legal/liability point of view. But it actually seems much closer to reality, than the 1,200+lbs in the specs.

Does anyone with JLU have a door jamb placard with more or less than 850lbs? Can you post your door jamb load placard? Thanks.

JLUR Load Sticekr.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Door Jam max payload stickers are not generic. I have seen different JTs have different payloads buy just a few pounds, despite being the same trum.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Also, I did put my JLUR (OEM steel bumpers, hard top, light winch, 37s) on the Cat Scales with full fluids, and my recovery gear/tools and I have 580 lbs of payload, which is what I expected, if the payload was 850lbs to begin with (~270 lbs in mods/gear).

Cat Scale tag with me (exactly 200lbs clothed) in the driver's seat:

Jeep Wrangler JL Payload Question - Specs vs Actual vs Door Jamb Sticker JLUR Cat Scale

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Door Jam max payload stickers are not generic. I have seen different JTs have different payloads buy just a few pounds, despite being the same trum.
Thanks for the reply, but there are different regulations that apply for pick-up trucks like JT, vs passenger vehicles like JL/JLU.

Trying to keep this discussion to JLU only. Want to see if anyone has a door jamb placard that is different than 850lbs.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Thanks for the reply, but there are different regulations that apply for pick-up trucks like JT, vs passenger vehicles like JL/JLU.

Trying to keep this discussion to JLU only. Want to see if anyone has a door jamb placard that is different than 850lbs.
I have seen different payload doorjams on different Honda Elements. And when I looked into increasing payload (ie when adding dana 60s) I learned the posted payload is unique to every vehicle and it is pretty hard to officially change it

Sponsored

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have seen different payload doorjams on different Honda Elements. And when I looked into increasing payload (ie when adding dana 60s) I learned the posted payload is unique to every vehicle and it is pretty hard to officially change it
I know how it is supposed to work.

But, has anyone seen any payload other than 850lbs on a JLUR or any other JLU?

Anyone?! :)

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
(revive)

Does anyone with a JLU have any number different than 850lbs on their payload sticker by driver door?

Jeep Wrangler JL Payload Question - Specs vs Actual vs Door Jamb Sticker JLUR Load Sticekr

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
2021 JLR lists 700lbs. I just ignore these stickers anyway. The misses and I are less than half that combined, the rear seat has been removed and we don't haul hardly and "gear".
Jeep Wrangler JL Payload Question - Specs vs Actual vs Door Jamb Sticker IMG_1201

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
2021 JLR lists 700lbs. I just ignore these stickers anyway. The misses and I are less than half that combined, the rear seat has been removed and we don't haul hardly and "gear".
Yes, it seems that all gasoline JLUs are 850lbs and all JLs (2-doors) are 700 lbs.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Really interesting as i have a 4xe Rubicon, and the sticker on mine says 850 as well.

i think everyone is well aware that the 4xe Rubicon is a major pig in terms of weight compared to the non 4xe versions.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Really interesting as i have a 4xe Rubicon, and the sticker on mine says 850 as well.

i think everyone is well aware that the 4xe Rubicon is a major pig in terms of weight compared to the non 4xe versions.
Yes, it really sucks. No matter the actual factory weight of your JL it's a one size fits all payload label - 700lbs for the 2-door, 850 lbs for the 4-door, from what I have been able to gather.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I get a kick out of the fact that my daughter's Renegade has a higher payload rating (959 LB) than my JL.

Jeep Wrangler JL Payload Question - Specs vs Actual vs Door Jamb Sticker renegade cargo

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Ignore that decal and take your jeep to a scale and have it weighed. Now take that weight and subtract it from your Jeeps GVWR. That will give you the exact cargo carrying capacity.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Ignore that decal and take your jeep to a scale and have it weighed. Now take that weight and subtract it from your Jeeps GVWR. That will give you the exact cargo carrying capacity.
I did that, and have posted my results. I have 380lbs of payload on my JLUR full of fuel and with my tools/recovery gear on it. Pitful.
Sponsored

Last edited: