Payload Question - Specs vs Actual vs Door Jamb Sticker

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
I did that, and have posted my results. I have 580lbs of payload on my JLUR full of fuel and with my tools/recovery gear on it. Pitful.
Yeah, but that was with clothes on, it skews the data a bit :)

I dunno about you guys, but when I'm on the trail, I goes balls out (literally). :rock:
Sponsored

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yeah, but that was with clothes on, it skews the data a bit :)

I dunno about you guys, but when I'm on the trail, I goes balls out (literally). :rock:
I do not wheel without personal ball skid plates - kevlar underwear for me.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I did that, and have posted my results. I have 580lbs of payload on my JLUR full of fuel and with my tools/recovery gear on it. Pitful.
The second you changed the tires the meaningfulness sticker went out the window anyway. It really doesn't mean anything. Do people really buy Jeeps and worry about the payload sticker? I thought the Super Duty guys were bad... actually they are, some certifiably insane over payload stickers. I am the nut there that ordered an F350 and the GVWR derate which knocks the payload sticker from ~4500lbs to about ~3200 lbs. It will still carry the 4500. It is just a sticker...

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The second you changed the tires the meaningfulness sticker went out the window anyway. It really doesn't mean anything. Do people really buy Jeeps and worry about the payload sticker? I thought the Super Duty guys were bad... actually they are, some certifiably insane over payload stickers. I am the nut there that ordered an F350 and the GVWR derate which knocks the payload sticker from ~4500lbs to about ~3200 lbs. It will still carry the 4500. It is just a sticker...
Gotta be careful when you get into heavy tags in some states. When I was in Illinois, the troopers would bust out the mobile scales and set up a checkpoint to ticket people overweight.
BTW JLUR 4xe Sticker: 850 Payload, 6400 GVWR

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Gotta be careful when you get into heavy tags in some states. When I was in Illinois, the troopers would bust out the mobile scales and set up a checkpoint to ticket people overweight.
BTW JLUR 4xe Sticker: 850 Payload, 6400 GVWR
I was waiting for this to come up. Yes, commercial trucks can be ticketed in some states for being over what the truck is licensed for. That has nothing to do with the payload sticker on the door jamb, nothing to do with recreational uses and nothing to do with Jeeps for sure.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I was waiting for this to come up. Yes, commercial trucks can be ticketed in some states for being over what the truck is licensed for. That has nothing to do with the payload sticker on the door jamb, nothing to do with recreational uses and nothing to do with Jeeps for sure.
Agree, legality is extremely unlikely to play any role with Jeep payload.

Was just commenting on the one ton. Illinois actually weight plated even personal trucks starting at half tons.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Agree, legality is extremely unlikely to play any role with Jeep payload.

Was just commenting on the one ton. Illinois actually weight plated even personal trucks starting at half tons.
I had a manufacturing plant in central MN for over a decade and we ran our own trucks for product deliveries. My one tons were plated for weight as were my semi trucks. Still had nothing to do with payload stickers. People think they mean something when in reality they are no more than recommendations. It saved a fair amount of money to plate the semi's at 56k lbs instead of 80k. Running several small hotshot trucks also proved to be cost effective. At the weigh stations on the pick-ups the only concern ever was being within the tires ratings and within the "tax stamp" registered weight.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yes, it seems that all gasoline JLUs are 850lbs and all JLs (2-doors) are 700 lbs.
Which clearly indicates that Jeep is artificially stamping these with a payload rating that's more conservative purposefully, because obviously all JLs and JLUs don't have the same curb weight.

That would seem to indicate to me that they aren't very thrilled with the idea of heavy loading on the Wrangler vehicles. Probably because the stigma of the CJ crisis still haunts them. A popular media outlet did their own testing on them and proclaimed that they rolled over too easily during highway emergency maneuvers. That pretty much killed the CJ and it's why the YJ was much much wider and lower to the ground.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
All I know is that with just driver + 1 passenger on my JLUR I am above MGVWR. I wish I had more of a margin from the manufacturer the manufacturer meaning that components were tested at more realistic max loadings. Yes, in the end it is just a sticker limitation.

Also, my JLUR is configured exactly like my JKUR was, except that I opted for lighter components on my JLUR build (Artec aluminum skids vs Rock Hard steel ones on JK, KO2 tires vs KM2s, running factory tierod vs synergy on JK, etc). And the JLU has all those aluminum panels. Yet both my JLU weighs within 20 lbs of my JKU apples to apples.

Where did all the aluminum weight savings go?

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I actually think these low payload capacities on the JL's are a public service.

FCA recognized the obesity epidemic, and this is how they are helping.

people need to lose weight to be able to carry 4 people in the Jeep. (let alone gear:)

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
At the weigh stations on the pick-ups the only concern ever was being within the tires ratings and within the "tax stamp" registered weight.
I once spent a solid hour talking to one of the scale guys about payload for commercial vehicles up here is Alberta. He basically said all they are interested in is the load capacity of the tires and how much the the truck is licensed for. He said you can licence it for as much as you want but the scales won’t let it pass if it’s over the tire ratings.
So basically you have to be within tire ratings and licence ratings. The door jamb stickers mean absolutely nothing to them.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Jeep used these same payloads (2DR = 700 lbs & 4DR = 850 lbs) for JK & JKU

Lager

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
I just checked the sticker on my JLURD and the OP is correct, it is lower @ 800lbs.
Sponsored