Sponsored

Pay for warranty work??

jeepblogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My leased 2018 JLU with 5000 miles lost power the other day so I had it towed to the local dealership. They called me yesterday to say there is a leak in the (manual) transmission and that due to Chrysler rules I have to authorize them to charge me at $135/hour for 9 hours just to investigate it in case there was abuse. I refused even though I'm the only person who drives it so I know 100% there has been no abuse.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?? It's a lease and under warranty!
Sponsored

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
I would definitely ask them about this "Chrysler rule". Tell them to print this out for you and show you exactly where it says that a customer has to pay for an in-warranty repair out of pocket. Have you called JeepCares? They should be reported for this.

Please post the dealer so that others will be cautious bringing their Jeeps there.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Sounds fishy to me ??? I would call JEEPCares or Chrysler Help Desk and ask some questions

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@jeepblogger

Don't waste time dealing with Jeep Cares..

Do call the Dedicated Jeep Customer Service number and explain this issue to the rep that answers. He/she will undoubtedly, get involved.... Do not do battle with the dealer yourself!

Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Doesnā€™t sound right. Did you use the FCA roadside assistance number? I had my Jeep towed to the dealer two months back and it was covered. Definitely contact Jeep wave/cares/ etc

Sponsored

OP
OP

jeepblogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just got this text:

"this is D****@RocketTown CDJR. I talked to my manager & she said that we must disassemble the transmission to the point of failure to investigate why it failed. So unfortunately we do need to authorize tear down to determine if it is warranty or a outside influence that caused the damage. My manager is K***** 741-**** or k*********@rockettownusa.com or 1-800-CHRYSLER."

They want me to authorize a charge at $135/hr to investigate why their transmission failed under warranty driving north on the 101 highway! The tow truck picked me up on the shoulder of the freeway!

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would make some calls and then take it to another dealership

OP
OP

jeepblogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The next dealership would be an extremely expensive tow. I paid $150 to have it towed to this one. Aren't all dealerships obligated to provide warranty work?

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The next dealership would be an extremely expensive tow. I paid $150 to have it towed to this one. Aren't all dealerships obligated to provide warranty work?
1. If you would have called the number in your owners manual, they would have towed it at no cost to you
2. Yes, once they have determined it is warranty work.
3. I would make that call and get a case started with CDJR Customer care, before I even talk to the dealer again

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
There has to be more to this. Was there damage present? If so, they are tearing it down to see if your damage was the cause or the failure is coincidental. I have seen this before. However, if itā€™s just a standard transmission failure, the dealer typically years it down assuming warranty work, as 95% of the time it is. Something spooked them to thinking this isnā€™t just a defect.

OP
OP

jeepblogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I've been asking myself the same question and no there's no damage anywhere. There are only two things that could have spooked them:

1. It's super muddy on the outside. I've never really washed it.

2. I installed the Gobi exoskeleton rack on it. So maybe they think I've modded something else? The thing is I haven't. No suspension, transmission, engine mods, nothing. Only the rack and a mesh top under the soft top. But they should be able to see that without disassembling the transmission right?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
@jeepblogger

Don't waste time dealing with Jeep Cares..

Do call the Dedicated Jeep Customer Service number and explain this issue to the rep that answers. He/she will undoubtedly, get involved.... Do not do battle with the dealer yourself!

Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146
I think I need to point out that JeepCares points you to Jeep Customer Care. I'm not sure there's really a difference.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
2 things:

First, this dealership is wack. It is under warranty. It wouldn't matter if they needed to disassemble the entire vehicle to do the repair or 'investigate' a problem. You should pay for none of it if you didn't abuse it beyond normal wear and tear. I think even that definition is different for a JL than say a Honda Accord.

Second,. You paid for the tow. FCA roadside assistance hasnt paid for a tow yet. Call the number listed previously in this thread and have them pay to tow the Jeep to different dealership after you explain the situation.

Good luck. There is a band named Thievery Corporation...

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I had logged on to my Jeep Wave account for my incident and they created a case number and contacted me and the dealership within 48 hrs. Iā€™d give that a try and hopefully they will at least get you a better explanation of your situation.
Sponsored