Sponsored

Patching Rhino Rack bolt holes in JLU Hard Top?

jakeirish

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fpvluts.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Software / Videographer / Video Editor
Is it possible to patch the holes in a JLU Hard Top from a Rhino Rack installation?
I really want to get this roof rack, however, it makes me cringe thinking about the drill holes that have to be put into the hard top. I have a paint matched Punk'n hard top, so that makes it even scarier. When I eventually sell my Jeep down the line, I'd love there to be no holes in the hard top.

Mopar sells Punk'n touch up paint, but can the bolt holes be filled and repaired?
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would try to a match a colored push plug to the whole size, maybe fill the hole with epoxy then push a colored plug in on top of the epoxy.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Similar to patching screw holes in boats?

I think the inside will be nigh impossible to match the hard top, but the outside will "just" need sanding, paint color matching, and clear coating with your painted top.

If you don't want to invest the time, money, or effort in that kind of fix, you could use roofing washers (stainless steel bonded to neoprene) with nuts and bolts to keep water out.

Honest opinion? If you're worried about value, do not drill into the hard top. Painted hard tops are very expensive to buy and to fix. If I was shopping for a used Wrangler with a painted hard top, I'd pass on one that had holes drilled into it.

There's lots of kinds of buyers, though, someone will undoubtable buy your "holey" hard-top, but they'll use that, and any other destructive mod (versus a simple bolt-on additive mod) to weasel a lower price out of ya.

Kansascoast

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JKU, 2drJL
$.02 worth...
Jeeps are meant to enjoy...for that matter...all material things are to enjoy. If you want that rack, put it on. If the next buyer doesn’t want it or you want to keep it, put some push plugs in the holes to seal them up. If you are worried about the color match, paint them ahead of time. The holes are not going to hurt the integrity of the top and I doubt that the next owner will care, if you do it right. The important thing is...it’s your Jeep. Do what makes you happy not what is going to make the next owner happy.

Sponsored

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Color-matched roofs will be easier to repair than black, because they are a gloss surface finish just like the rest of the body. The black tops are textured and you will never be able to match on a spot basis, That said, a complete re-spray of either color top would be required, IMO.

But, some black rubber plugs in the holes of a black top would be 90% effective.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
They make different applications with fiberglass resin that can be used. Also spraying it to match shouldn't be an issue. However I have the issue that you do, I have a rhino rack with backbone system sitting in my garage. Debating on the same issue, to drill or not to drill? @jakeirish
Sponsored