Sponsored

Past JK Owners How Much Better Is The JL On Road?

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
The JLUR is my first Jeep.

When I bought it I did the back to back test drive four or five times between the JK and JL. The JL was by far a better vehicle on the road. About two weeks after I got my JL went on trip and rented a JK for week. I so missed my JL. I thought the difference was huge in drivability on the highway, but then again, I'm new to the Jeep world. :)
Sponsored

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Coming from a 2007 Sahara (2dr) and my wife's 2009 X (still own), the drivetrain is greatly improved (3.6L>3.8L). (I know the 12s+ have the 3.6L)
I've been a passenger in a 2011, 2013, 2014 & 2015, seat comfort and ride are slightly improved. Build quality is about the same (with a couple new model hiccups on the JL). Quality and feel of materials used is (IMO) greatly improved.
Pretty pleased with the new features of the JL, curious to see what Jeep will do in the refresh (3-4 years from now).

nola22

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 JKU willys
16' JKU as a daily driver, and have done some lengthy test drives on the new JL.

JL suspension is very much improved. It tracks better on the highway, doesn't wander as much and is definitely less susceptible to crosswinds blowing you around. Ride overall is definitely improved, and yes each and every JL I have test driven had their tires inflated to 40+ from transport - so even overinflated the ride is better. The 8 speed transmission absolutely is an improvement, gone is the sluggish feel from a stop/rolling start. Its more responsive from a daily driver perspective.

General noise insulation has improved slightly, but the higher degree (vs JK) of windshield wind noise is definitely a debatable point right now; its hard to tell what is design vs alignment issues with the new folding windshield. I have test driven 5 different JLs, all with the Alpine Stereo (thus the acoustic laminated windshield) and all but 1 were significantly louder than my JK from the windshield area, even at sub-interstate speeds. I cannot imagine what I have heard passing the design and testing phase, so I am going to assume that these things are just coming misaligned from the factory and what I am hearing noise wise is correctable. Based on the posts I have seen around here, I have been looking at where the windshield meets the A pillar and all have had gaps that are not consistent from the top to bottom regions (as has been posted - this is a decent general indicator that the windshield hinges need adjustment).

Overall, its definitely an improvement on the road. A lot of people will jump on here and be the first to exclaim 'its a Jeep' its acceptable to have lots of wind noise, water leaks etc. . . I believe such a statement applied when these things were priced in the 20k range from Jeep and had roll up windows, no AC and a simple canvas top; but when we are now seeing 40k BASE prices on some models - sorry excuse doesn't fly. I use my JK as a daily driver and I find the JL to be (aside from the wind noise) a very acceptable daily driver on the streets with the above improvements.

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
Thanks thats good feeback. How is the steering? The JL was suppose to get the new Hydro steering so did that tighten things up? or still a lot of play (on the JK there was about an inch of side to side play). Also still like driving a kite in windy conditions?
The steering and awesome acceleration was the first thing I noticed. The feedback from bumpy roads and my 35” tires on my JKU is gone. I used to feel every Imperfection on the road, it wasn’t horrible, but that is gone. The steering wheel stays more centered, smooth, and is like silk. Turning circle has improved and less road feedback and wandering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
While I never owned a JK/JKU I did take one on a test drive. It was a 2008 Sport Unlimited with the 3.8 liter engine and the 4 speed auto. I liked how it rode but the drivetrain didn't really stand out with me but it was more than enough to get the vehicle moving. But I can say the 3.6 and the 8 speed auto is an order of magnitude better than the old one.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Had a 2015 JKU Freedom Edition, 6-speed. Drove nice stock due to the all season tires. Steering had lots of play of course, wind noise was loud, and bumps were felt everywhere. Like the simple interior which appealed to me after coming from cars with tons of buttons.
I added a 2.5 lift and 35" tires. Drove it to Moab from Colorado Springs. Didn't have any issues. Road noise got louder, but it's a jeep.

Now I have a JLUR fully loaded. Love it! Still drives like a Jeep, but I want to say the steering feels a bit heavier to me, but that could be because I haven't driven a Jeep in a few years. Example in my audi when I make a turn the steering wheel will return to center almost on it's own without any input. On my Jeep it still returns to center, but you have to helpit. There is play, about 1 inch worth left to right, but still easy to drive on the highway. I just let her drift from side to side and correct as needed so I don't cross the lines. I don't' constantly try to keep it in the center of the lane. Tech and Safety stuff is top notch. Almost to the point it's distracting especially the new 8.4 system. I'm trying to use the steering controls as much possible now. Carplay is awesome as well and helps reduce the distraction.

I love it and am trying to talk my wife into trading her 2016 Honda Pilot in for another Jeep, so we'll have a matching pair. It has just as much tech and safety (minus collision mitigation and lane control) as the Pilot. The entertainment system is 100x better than the Pilot too.

Hope this helps.

automaton

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Not a 100% true. The Power Wagon is Solid Front Axel and is very capable all while having very nice road manners.
That doesn't surprise me. The much longer wheelbase should make it track a lot straighter, as well as riding smoother, due to the bumps and imperfections being spaced out more.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
every JL I have test driven had their tires inflated to 40+ from transport
I just bought a Sport, and my tires are around 40, but I've seen people here saying that is too much? What do people recommend the tires be inflated to?

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
I just bought a Sport, and my tires are around 40, but I've seen people here saying that is too much? What do people recommend the tires be inflated to?
Cold tire pressure should be at 36 psi I believe. I think it could go to 35. I’d have to go look at the door plate m, but I think it’s 36psi. Is yours at 40 when warmed up and driving around?

Sponsored

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
The door jam sticker will have your reccomended cold tire pressure. Mine is 36 as aqualung said.

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
Yea, they will be about 40 once warmed up and driving for a bit.
You’re about right. Use a gauge and check them to your tpms before leaving work in the morning. You should be at 36 psi. You want/need to know your cold tire pressure. That is what you want to go by when inflating or deflating your tires.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I have owned 2 JK's and my new JL. The new JL is WAY more comfortable day to day. I feel the suspension is a bit softer, granted i've always had rubicons recently. The JL Rubicon is much more comfy than the JK Rubicon. Part of that though may be the A/T's that come with the JL vs M/T's on the JK. The turning radius is vastly improved. I park in a parking deck every day and in my JK, there was a turn I had to do a 3 point turn to make. In the JL, I have several feet to spare.. much better. Overall there is nothing I really don't like about the new JL and I ook forward to driving it everyday. On a side note... the premium softop comes off in about 2 minutes and is MUCH easier.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
They can but that would mean independent front suspension. If they want to keep the Jeep's off road capability the way it is IFS is out. Not that IFS is not capable. It has it's purpose. It is just not going to give the same capability the Wrangler is known for.
You don't need IFS for good road manners - case in point is my '05 SuperDuty. Solid front axle, lifted, oversized tires, and it's a like driving a luxury RV down the road. And that's a 13 year old truck.
Sponsored