Passive Entry - Have to wait for door button to lock doors

RajCaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited - Sahara Trim
I'm experiencing something with my JLU that I wanted to check-in with others to see if this is working as intended or is something wrong with my wrangler.

I have passive entry equipped, where I can lock the doors by having the key fob near by and pressing the button on the door handle. (unlocking happens when your hand gets close enough to the door handle w/ the key fob nearby)

However, when I exit the vehicle, pressing the button on the door handle doesn't lock the doors for at least 10-15 seconds after closing the door. I have a similar feature on my 09' Maxima and it locks immediately after closing the door and pressing the button. It's more of a nuisance than anything, but just wanted to see of others are having to wait a little while until pressing the door handle button works to lock the jeep.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'm not noticing mine doing that; I can lock it as soon as I try.

EDIT: FWIW my key is in my right pocket with my wallet.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
THE SYSTEM WORKS GREAT.

To unlock the door grab the door handle (ONLY)

To lock the door push the button (ONLY)

If you grab the handle and push the button your door will do (nothing).

You have to do one or the other.

TRY IT WORKS VERY WELL

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Mine is locking and honking within a fraction of a second of depressing the button.

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Old thread, new JL owner. Mine dose this. I'm not touching anything but the button. For me it's random that it works instantly the first time. Most of the time it takes those 10 to 15 seconds to work. However, it seems tied to just the driver's door opening. If, for example, I'm with my son and his door also was opened and closed, then it seems to work first time more often. Or if I quickly open and close the rear door on the drivers side, it'll work usually right away even if it's only been two or three seconds.

I had similar issues on my '14 KL and my '15 KL as well...

Sponsored

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had the same problem on both my JLs (I had a lemon). I feel it’s worse when the fob is in my gym bag vs my pocket, and always thought that had something to do with t.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
THE SYSTEM WORKS GREAT.

To unlock the door grab the door handle (ONLY)

To lock the door push the button (ONLY)

If you grab the handle and push the button your door will do (nothing).

You have to do one or the other.

TRY IT WORKS VERY WELL
This is spot on. You can also lock the doors while everyone else is still getting out and all the doors aren’t even shut. I get out faster than my wife and kids. Get out, touch the button and all doors are now locked.

YOU REALLY have to make sure you literally only touch the button. Mine works actually better than my wife’s Grand Cherokee.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Old thread, new JL owner. Mine dose this. I'm not touching anything but the button. For me it's random that it works instantly the first time. Most of the time it takes those 10 to 15 seconds to work. However, it seems tied to just the driver's door opening. If, for example, I'm with my son and his door also was opened and closed, then it seems to work first time more often. Or if I quickly open and close the rear door on the drivers side, it'll work usually right away even if it's only been two or three seconds.

I had similar issues on my '14 KL and my '15 KL as well...
Out of curiosity, do you have the same delay if you push the lock button on the fob? Just trying to isolate the problem as being with the passive entry or locking in general.
Sponsored