Sponsored

Passing wires through firewall - is there a grommet somewhere?

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Looking to wire up a Dometic CFX50W fridge in the rear cargo area of my JLU Sahara. I tried using OEM cigarette lighter 12v wiring in rear, but the fridge shuts down too soon, and I was told to get the ARB wiring kit with heavier gauge wire.

I’d like to run this directly to the battery, but I’m having a hard time finding a grommet to pass it through to the engine compartment.

Is there another spot in the cabin where I can tap into 12V constant power? I see threads in this forum on how to use Aux 1 or Aux 2 as they are both 40A circuits, but the aux wiring only exists on the Rubicon, correct? I know the aux switches are only on the Rubicon, but the Sahara doesn’t even have that wiring harness anywhere does it?

Any tips on a wire and location that would support the heavier draw of the fridge?

Or any tips on where to pass wires through to engine compartment?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Well, that turned into a bit of an expedition, but it’s done.

Found the grommet. Passenger side, underneath the fuse box. I found it was easier to access it from underneath. Pry back the plastic fender well with your hands and look for where the mother wire harness passes through the fire wall. That’s your grommet. Accessible in passenger’s side footwell.

From the cabin side, I cut a hole in it with a jacknife, then punched through it with a heavy-duty coat hanger, then used that as my snake to bring wire through, and pass it up right next to the fuse box, then to the battery.

Hopefully that helps someone else!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jeeperz Kreeperz

Just noticed your thread or I would have posted and told you, what you ended up figuring out.

That grommet you found is the one Mopar actually says to use I think when installing the Aux wiring kit I believe.

Even in their instructions, they recommend to use a metal coat hangar just as you used. Anyway, good for you, you got-er done!

Oh, if you have an automatic there is also a grommet on the driver's side. It apparently is where the clutch would go if the JL was a manual shift.

David K

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl (Mojito)
Looking to wire up a Dometic CFX50W fridge in the rear cargo area of my JLU Sahara. I tried using OEM cigarette lighter 12v wiring in rear, but the fridge shuts down too soon, and I was told to get the ARB wiring kit with heavier gauge wire.

I’d like to run this directly to the battery, but I’m having a hard time finding a grommet to pass it through to the engine compartment.

Is there another spot in the cabin where I can tap into 12V constant power? I see threads in this forum on how to use Aux 1 or Aux 2 as they are both 40A circuits, but the aux wiring only exists on the Rubicon, correct? I know the aux switches are only on the Rubicon, but the Sahara doesn’t even have that wiring harness anywhere does it?

Any tips on a wire and location that would support the heavier draw of the fridge?

Or any tips on where to pass wires through to engine compartment?

Thanks!

David K

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl (Mojito)
I have the aux switches on my Sahara they are included with the trailer tow package, it also included a hot and switched tap under the dash

Sponsored

Jepstr67

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Jeepster, 1982 J-10, 2018JLU 2005 Dodge Magnum, 1970 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
CEO
They thought of a lot of good stuff on the JL like the 4 switches included with the tow package. I wish they had included some grommets THAT ARE EASY TO GET TO, to pass wires and cables from the engine compartment to the cabin.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jepstr67

You have Aux 1, 2, 3, 4 wires already in the passenger foot well. Why are you running from Aux 1, 2, 3, 4 in engine compartment to the interior..

Unless, you are just saying you wish there was a grommet so you could run say a wire directly from battery, but even in that case if you have factory installed AUX, there is a direct to battery wire in the passenger foot well ready to use.

IF you have an automatic JL, there is also an easy to use grommet in the driver's side. Would be where the clutch pedal would go through if the JL was a manual shift.

You may know all this, but someone else reading this post may not have known this, so that is why I'm mentioning.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Don't forget-----the clutch system on these JL's is--

--------------HYDRAULIC------------------

Now, unless they have the "OLD" clutch rod access/grommet hidden behind the engine room insulation----it ain't there !

This new jeep is "SO" different from the "JK"--it just ain't fair, there is one under the battery, but as Rb says--they simplified this whole mess by putting the AUX SW's inside/w BATT pwr there also !

What'll they think of next ??

W.E.

JIMBO

Jepstr67

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Jeepster, 1982 J-10, 2018JLU 2005 Dodge Magnum, 1970 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
CEO
@Jepstr67

You have Aux 1, 2, 3, 4 wires already in the passenger foot well. Why are you running from Aux 1, 2, 3, 4 in engine compartment to the interior..

Unless, you are just saying you wish there was a grommet so you could run say a wire directly from battery, but even in that case if you have factory installed AUX, there is a direct to battery wire in the passenger foot well ready to use.

IF you have an automatic JL, there is also an easy to use grommet in the driver's side. Would be where the clutch pedal would go through if the JL was a manual shift.

You may know all this, but someone else reading this post may not have known this, so that is why I'm mentioning.

I'm Not. I need to run the control harness from the snow plow into the cabin. I'll power the control with one of the leads in the passenger foot well once the harness is in place. Yes...Mine is a manual.

aestes89

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Infrastructure Analyst
@Jepstr67

+1 on this! There's a youtube video that shows it very clearly, but you can pop that little plastic grommet out, drill a hole slightly larger in diameter than the wire you're passing and done! One of the easiest firewall bypasses I've ever done. Only downside, whatever you're passing will be on the opposite side of the battery.

Sponsored

Ahre

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Ordered Mar 14, 2020
Occupation
Retired
+1 on this! There's a youtube video that shows it very clearly, but you can pop that little plastic grommet out, drill a hole slightly larger in diameter than the wire you're passing and done! One of the easiest firewall bypasses I've ever done. Only downside, whatever you're passing will be on the opposite side of the battery.
Hey Adam, where is the youtube video you referred? Can you provide the URL?

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Hey Adam, where is the youtube video you referred? Can you provide the URL?
He hasn't been here since April of last year...........

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
There is a "grommet", actually more of a port on the driver side. It is a twist release, pretty difficult to reach. I ran my aux brake break-away wire through it for towing the Jeep behind the motorhome. I drilled a hole through the cap, fed the wire through siliconed the slight extra space around the wire after reinstalling the cap.
Sponsored