Passing Smog test, any ideas on how to satisfy O2 sensors

mskillen

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon Punkn
I got a Email from the MVA that said my VEIP test was due, the Jeep is a 2018 JLUR 3.6. 6spd

I droped in to the inspection station and they hooked up to the Jeep and told me it wouldn't pass and drive it around for a couple weeks and come back.

I didn't have a MIL light and I have never ran into this before, no vehicle I have ever owned wouldn't pass emissions.

I drove home and used my Blue Driver OBD2 and looked at the smog test and I had a couple of unsatisfied sensors, EVap, O2.

I also unmarried my Taser so everything is stock, thinking that might help. Who knows.

So for a newer vehicle, it totally caught me off guard and the emissions people wouldn't give me any information on why it wasn't passing.

I got on Youtube, looked up smog test and found many video's on the topic.

These video's all show that the computer is looking for a certain driving patters etc..

Most of these are for older cars, I even drove to the dealer ship and asked what I need to do.
They really couldn't give me a solid answer except drive it.

The dealer had worked on the Jeep back in January and I could see they had disconnected the battery during some transmission work they did at that time.

I had put over 5000 mile on the Jeep since that happened, and still had those 2 Sensors showing test was not complete on the OBD2.

So I went home disconnected the batteries completely which cleared that memory and started from scratch.
I had some success and the Evap finally cleared and passed its self test, but I haven't had any luck with the O2 self test.

I can see all the O2 sensors and they are all operating within their proper voltage ranges, but I'm not sure what to look for here.

So I don't know if there is some driving pattern that I need to do to satisfy it, I have tried many of the suggestions from the videos I watched.

Starting the jeep letting it run for 10 minutes before I leave, or driving at a sustained speed for several minutes, coasting to a stop without touching the brake etc.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has any Idea on how to get the O2 to complete a self test.

Like I said I never had a Mil light and would have never known, and I can't find much on what this computer is looking for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mark
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I got a Email from the MVA that said my VEIP test was due, the Jeep is a 2018 JLUR 3.6. 6spd

I dropped in to the inspection station and they hooked up to the Jeep and told me it wouldn't pass and drive it around for a couple weeks and come back.

So for a newer vehicle, it totally caught me off guard and the emissions people wouldn't give me any information on why it wasn't passing.

I had put over 5000 mile on the Jeep since that happened, and still had those 2 Sensors showing test was not complete on the OBD2.

I had some success and the Evap finally cleared and passed its self test, but I haven't had any luck with the O2 self test.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has any Idea on how to get the O2 to complete a self test.
The unwillingness of the emission inspections staff to provide any guidance here is troubling, doubly so if you are or will be charged for each VEIP test visit, Pass or Fail. I'd be on the phone complaining about the lack of intel, particularly since you're making a good faith effort to resolve the matter. Document everything you do here.

You mention the dealer working on your Jeep in January of this year. Is the vehicle still under warranty? If so, tag them in and see if they can resolve the O2 sensor self-testing fail.

OP
OP
mskillen

mskillen

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon Punkn
The unwillingness of the emission inspections staff to provide any guidance here is troubling, doubly so if you are or will be charged for each VEIP test visit, Pass or Fail. I'd be on the phone complaining about the lack of intel, particularly since you're making a good faith effort to resolve the matter. Document everything you do here.

You mention the dealer working on your Jeep in January of this year. Is the vehicle still under warranty? If so, tag them in and see if they can resolve the O2 sensor self-testing fail.

They Jeep Still has 2000 miles left before the 36000 mile warranty is up the I still have the 5 year 60000 left.
VEIP did refund my payment but offered no help or a description of what wasn't passing.

They said go to Autozone and have them diagnose it, with thier OBD2 scanner.
I didn't see the point in that when I can see it myself.

It just really caught me off guard because I never had a issue except for this jeep, and I was totally unaware the the computer even did these tests until I looked into it.
If it doesnt clear this week and pass the test, I would hope it is covered under the warranty.
That is if I can't get it to satisfy the self test.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
In Illinois the emissions check seems to just check with the vehicle if the tests are satisfied. I had this issue with my WRX. I had to hit the highway for about 40 minutes to pass the tests. They wouldn't pass with stop and go driving. Annoying.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You may be able to pass with only one sensor not ready, in some states two is the trigger.

Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
VEIP did refund my payment but offered no help or a description of what wasn't passing.

They said go to Autozone and have them diagnose it, with their OBD2 scanner.
SMH. They're really phoning it in.

I've learned a few lessons, firsthand and otherwise, through the years as it concerns emission testing.

One year, we had to purchase a new gas cap, because the original one failed a pressure test. I didn't even know caps were part of the testing regimen. I wonder how that test will evolve as capless refueling increases in the marketplace.

A neighbor of mine was chasing his tail regarding an emission issue on his Dodge Dakota. I'd go over with my code reader, pull the code(s) and then extinguish the light on the dashboard. He came to discover, though, that the underlying code(s) wouldn't be erased from the vehicle's computer until it was driven +/- 100 miles without the same problem(s) reoccurring.

IOW, turning the dash light off with my code reader wouldn't hide the problem from a dealer's more advanced scanning equipment, if the problem wasn't resolved in any fashion.

Long story longer: we ended up identifying and replacing a majority of emission fitments on that truck, and erasing codes that kept reappearing, until a small and hidden part (somewhere near the fuel tank, IIRC) was replaced that finally fixed things for good.

OP
OP
mskillen

mskillen

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon Punkn
Thanks for the replies

The "All other monitors must be ready" is where I'm going to get hung up.
The O2 is the last one that needs to be satified and per that attachment, and must be satisfied to pass.
I would have been okay if it was just the Evap.

So since most of my trip to work is stop and go, its still 20 miles but not constant.

I will try what GTX suggested and drive try driving to Philly, or Baltimore, on the highway and keeping it moving at speed for 40 minutes or more.

It would be nice if there was a reference, or a way to watch the compute to know what it needs.
I hate guessing, and it sucks to not be able to see where your at in this mystery program in the computer.

But like I said before this time I reset the batteries.

I drove to Georgia and back and they never satisfied the evap and O2 test after the dealer work was done.

Maybe since I reset it by discoonnecting the batteries everything it will come in this time.

OBD II Readiness Monitor VEIP Requirements

A vehicle can be tested if either the catalyst or evaporative monitor, but not both, is
not ready. "All other monitors must be ready". A vehicle that has failed VEIP
testing for a catalyst or evaporative DTC, however, must have the applicable monitor
set to be retested.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Since you are still under warranty, my guess is FCA is on the hook to make sure your vehicle complies with 50 state emission regulations, no?

I’d take it back to the dealer, and make sure they document into the system that you’ve been having issues with the sensors before the warranty ended.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
I‘m having the same issue as you with my manual JLUR. They upgraded the software last week (part of the clutch recall band-aid fix) but then when i went for an Emission’s test it did not pass. They told me to drive it and bring it back (unsatisfied sensors, EVap, O2.). I drove it for >200 miles and it still would not pass. I took it to a different Jeep dealer and now they are saying that the Powertrain Control module is bad which is keeping the emission's inspection from passing. my jeep only has 28,000 miles.

Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
OP
OP
mskillen

mskillen

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon Punkn
Thank you,
That looks like good information, All I have left is the O2
I will try the pattern on the O2 monitor drive trace tomorrow.
If that doesn't work I will try the just going for a long highway drive.
I hope it works, this should be so difficult.

Jeep Wrangler JL Passing Smog test, any ideas on how to satisfy O2 sensors 1627699015123

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Thank you,
That looks like good information, All I have left is the O2
I will try the pattern on the O2 monitor drive trace tomorrow.
If that doesn't work I will try the just going for a long highway drive.
I hope it works, this should be so difficult.

Jeep Wrangler JL Passing Smog test, any ideas on how to satisfy O2 sensors 1627699015123
I replaced an O2 sensor on my old truck once and if I recall it was on the exhaust in the engine bay. Is that the sensor you are having issues with? If so, they are not difficult but I'd let the dealer do it under warranty.

OP
OP
mskillen

mskillen

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon Punkn
Yeah sorry I never followed up on this, It passed.
Turned out to be a low auxiliary battery, I ended up replacing both batteries and it passed everything.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
any ideas on how to satisfy O2 sensors

Some like to have their cabin knobs touched softly. Some with a more firm grip.
It really depends on the model and how old. The best advice I could give would be to go right for the OBD spot.
Sponsored