First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
I have a 1/2" lean to pax side on my 392 both pre and post lift and the rear is lower as measured by the fender wells pre and post lift. Both indicate that the lean has nothing to do with the MetalCloak 3.5" Game Changer lift kit and suspect it has more to do with weight of the fuel tank full as well as the PowerTank on pax side in the rear.

Here are the conditions that I measured along with measurements pre and post lift across various points:

Conditions pre and post lift
Full tank gas
No pax or driver inside cab
Recovery gear, trail tools, and bottle jack in rear
Warn Zeon 10s winch and Maximus 3 winch plate on bumper, bumper wings removed
Recovery shackles front bumper
37” KO2 spare tire on rear gate with Teraflex alpha hd hinge and tire carrier
PowerTank 10lb CO2 bottle rear pax side role bar

Pre / post lift top of rock slider measure
Passenger front 21 5/8” / 24 3/8”
Driver front 22” / 25”
Passenger rear 22 1/2” / 25 1/2”
Driver rear 22 7/8” / 26 1/8”

Pre / post lift wheel well measure top of black trim
Driver front 42 7/8” / 45 3/4”
Driver rear 42 1/2” / 45 1/2”
Passenger front 42 3/8” / 44 7/8”
Passenger rear 42” / 45”

Skid low point pre / post lift 11 1/4” 13 7/8”

Driver front lower control arm mount 14” / 16 3/4”
Driver rear lower control arm mount 13 1/4” / 16 1/4”
Pax front lower control arm 13 7/8” / 16 1/2”
Pax rear control arm 12 7/8” / 16”

Pre lift, rear is lower than front 3/8” on wheel wells.
Post lift, rear is lower 1/2”
Lift added 2.5" to 3” overall compared to OEM suspension
Sponsored

planetech

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL, 15 Grand Cherokee, 97 Grand Cherokee
They manufacture all of their parts in house. Material shortages are what's causing delays. And it's never been a faulty spring issue, just a lack of spring spacers being included in their prior kits. You didn't have lean with the mopar springs, because they are corner specific. A slightly higher spring rate gets used on the passenger front and rear corners, whereas most aftermarket setups use identical springs on both sides that get paired with either spring spacers or taller spring saddles.
Parts, materials, whatever… you are absolutely right, the Mopar springs are location specific. My issue is that this problem was supposed to have been corrected. It’s not! Adding spacers is not a fix it’s just a patch. If it is their fix, the spacers need to be included with the kit. Hence my comment, I shouldn’t have to purchase them.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Parts, materials, whatever… you are absolutely right, the Mopar springs are location specific. My issue is that this problem was supposed to have been corrected. It’s not! Adding spacers is not a fix it’s just a patch. If it is their fix, the spacers need to be included with the kit. Hence my comment, I shouldn’t have to purchase them.
I see where you're coming from. I got my Metalcloak lift almost a year ago and it's got a bit of a lean that I didn't notice until this or a similar thread was nice enough to point out. 😆 Sooner or later I will grab a set of their spacer shims, but I've been focusing on a lot of other modifications and upgrades. Fortunately, the slight lean hasn't taken so much as an ounce of enjoyment from having their lift on my Jeep.

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
A lot of lift manufactures springs for the JL are not side specific and some offer a spacer for the passenger side. Some offer a correction with just a longer or stiffer spring for passenger rear. Some do offer side specific springs like Synergy. I currently have Accutune 2.5" lift springs not side specific and I have about a 1/4" lean, but not noticeable without a tape measure.

It's a bit disappointing for those of you that have severe lean, that MC didn't help you out better, even if only discounting the spaces or something.

I ordered my MC springs and are in shipping now. But I bought the spacers knowing this issue existed. The spacers are the fix, I don't see any other solution, same as many other companies are doing. Since my current springs don't have much of a lean with non-side specific springs, I don't expect to have much with the MC either, but I will probably add a couple of the shims on passenger rear only.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Mine leans to the passenger side. IIRC it was around 5/8 up front and a bit over 3/4 on the rear. It is noticeable. Even with myself and most of the heavy stuff on the driver side (cooler and tools) it still leans. I emailed Metalcloak about it and did not get a response. IMO spacers are a band-aid. They should have corner specific coils like the other manufacturers. I'm not going to pay that kind of $$ for spacers. I'll just fork out a few more bucks and get some Clayton or Rockkrawler coils.

Sponsored

planetech

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have addressed it in the kits. Which is why I had asked them to reach out.
Hello, I ordered my kit on August and received it in September. When was the lean issue addressed in the kits because mine leans?

CloakedWillys

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL 2.0T Sport S
Occupation
Sales and tech support for MetalCloak
Hello, I ordered my kit on August and received it in September. When was the lean issue addressed in the kits because mine leans?
There is not a hard date but the front coils changed to part numbers SS-21XX when we started including the new isolators. The 3.6L's are the ons we saw the factory lean the most out of and they are about 3/8" at the coils.

Feel free to shot me a PM or give me a call at the office and we can see what is going on with your jeep.

planetech

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you guys with the lean contact MC as they asked? Did they not take care of you? What was the outcome of your conversation? Seems adding the spacers on the right rear would resolve the lean issue, no?
I did speak with Will at Metalcloak today. He’s a great guy and was very helpful!
Thank you Will!

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Who do I need to call or talk to you about getting the parts needed to correct? And is it going to be possible if I bought the jeep with the lift already installed? Rides great. off-road it’s great. But it kills me every time I walk out to see that hard passenger lean.

Sponsored

CloakedWillys

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL 2.0T Sport S
Occupation
Who do I need to call or talk to you about getting the parts needed to correct? And is it going to be possible if I bought the jeep with the lift already installed? Rides great. off-road it’s great. But it kills me every time I walk out to see that hard passenger lean.
Give us a call at MetalCloak and any of us should be able to help you out.

black_jeep_jl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
I did speak with Will at Metalcloak today. He’s a great guy and was very helpful!
Thank you Will!
planetech, what did you and/or MC do to fix yours? My Jeep had a 3/4” passenger side lean and my front coils were bowed significantly (worse on passenger side). The guy who installed my lift ended up adding the MC isolator pads to correct the coil bowing issue. He also added the MC spacers/shims to help level the Jeep. Now, every time I go over a bump, something rattles/knocks from underneath. Sounds like it’s coming from the rear driver side. Sounds like something is loose. I talked to my installer about it and he said it’s probably from placing the metal spacers — apparently he stacked 3 of them and he said that’s probably causing the rattling. I won’t be able to have him check it out for another week. I know everyone swears by this lift kit but in all honestly, this has been a headache for me ever since the lift was installed 😣

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Give us a call at MetalCloak and any of us should be able to help you out.

I want to say thank you Will @CloakedWillys. I called up about my lean. Will had me take a couple of photos and sent me out the front and rear spacers free of charge in just a couple of days. Thank you Will and thank you @Metalcloaks!

CloakedWillys

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL 2.0T Sport S
Occupation
planetech, what did you and/or MC do to fix yours? My Jeep had a 3/4” passenger side lean and my front coils were bowed significantly (worse on passenger side). The guy who installed my lift ended up adding the MC isolator pads to correct the coil bowing issue. He also added the MC spacers/shims to help level the Jeep. Now, every time I go over a bump, something rattles/knocks from underneath. Sounds like it’s coming from the rear driver side. Sounds like something is loose. I talked to my installer about it and he said it’s probably from placing the metal spacers — apparently he stacked 3 of them and he said that’s probably causing the rattling. I won’t be able to have him check it out for another week. I know everyone swears by this lift kit but in all honestly, this has been a headache for me ever since the lift was installed 😣
Give us a call. I have not run into that yet and it should not be unloading a coil enough to loose tension on the pads.

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Just FYI.
When I got my springs a few weeks back, it came with different thickness left/right side isolators for the front and one for the rear passenger. If you look at their instructions on line, you will see their is a section showing them and how to place them depending on what engine you have. The instructions show it is a Rev B with an update of 4-16-21, I will have to assume that is when they added the new isolators to the kit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Passenger Side Lean Metalcloak 3.5 MC Coil Isolators
Sponsored