Passenger Seat Movement

Rweikel

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RX350
Hello everyone. New to the forums and wanted to say hi. I’m in the market for a 2-door JL and had a question about the passenger seat... As I’ve seen and understand it, it appears that the passenger seat only has 4-way motion unlike the optional 8-way (I believe) driver seat. Is there anyway to either lower the passenger seat or at least make it more movable like the driver seat? Whether OEM or aftermarket? Thanks, Robert
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone. New to the forums and wanted to say hi. I’m in the market for a 2-door JL and had a question about the passenger seat... As I’ve seen and understand it, it appears that the passenger seat only has 4-way motion unlike the optional 8-way (I believe) driver seat. Is there anyway to either lower the passenger seat or at least make it more movable like the driver seat? Whether OEM or aftermarket? Thanks, Robert
As far as I can tell, the passenger seat on my JL "Sport" model has the same controls as the driver's seat.
  • You can slide it fore and aft
  • You can tilt the seat back fore and aft
  • You can use the handle on the side to pump it up and down
The seat adjustments starting on page 45 of the PDF manual has the different options. I noticed on it that there is also another adjustment for the lumbar support that appears to just be the driver's seat. I've never noticed that control, so apparently whatever it was set to from the factory was acceptable for me.

I explicitly ordered the Sport model since I did not want all those electric gizmos that break and end up being expensive to repair.

EDITED:

I was wrong... It does not have the handle to pump the seat up or down on the passenger side.

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Never heard of any 8-way driver's seat : up , down , forward , backward , that's merely 4 ways .

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Never heard of any 8-way driver's seat : up , down , forward , backward , that's merely 4 ways .
I guess you could include the lumbar moving in and out another 2 ways...

Now, I *have* seen car seats where you could tilt the base portion of the seat forward or backward thus providing a different angle on the seat, so maybe another 2 ways for that? And I've seen cars where the headrest can be adjusted fore and aft also, so maybe that would bring it up yet another 2 ways? All those motors and controls for electric seats makes for a lot of things to go wrong and expensive repairs though. Kind of depends on how they are counting "ways", I guess...

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I guess you could include the lumbar moving in and out another 2 ways...

Now, I *have* seen car seats where you could tilt the base portion of the seat forward or backward thus providing a different angle on the seat, so maybe another 2 ways for that? And I've seen cars where the headrest can be adjusted fore and aft also, so maybe that would bring it up yet another 2 ways? All those motors and controls for electric seats makes for a lot of things to go wrong and expensive repairs though. Kind of depends on how they are counting "ways", I guess...

Best seat control in my 2-door JK was telling the dealer to disconnect the rear seat , lift it out , and put it over there near that wall . Bye .

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I didn’t think the front passenger seat has a height adjustment on either the 2 door or 4 door. The 2 door does have an extra lever on the seatback that is used for easy entry to access the rear seat. It allows the front seat to slide forward to make it easier to climb into the back.

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t think the front passenger seat has a height adjustment on either the 2 door or 4 door. The 2 door does have an extra lever on the seatback that is used for easy entry to access the rear seat. It allows the front seat to slide forward to make it easier to climb into the back. The JK also has a tip-n-slide feature but I don’t know if that is present on the JL.
On the JL "Sport" (manual everything), there is a bar running underneath the seat across the front that allows the seat to slide fore and aft. There is a loop on the side of the seat that you can pull which allows the seat to recline. There is a lever on the side of the seat that you can use to basically pump the entire seat up or down. And there is (according to the manual) a rotary knob on the side of the driver's seat that lets him adjust the lumbar support.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
On the JL "Sport" (manual everything), there is a bar running underneath the seat across the front that allows the seat to slide fore and aft. There is a loop on the side of the seat that you can pull which allows the seat to recline. There is a lever on the side of the seat that you can use to basically pump the entire seat up or down. And there is (according to the manual) a rotary knob on the side of the driver's seat that lets him adjust the lumbar support.
So there is a lever on the passenger seat that allows you to adjust height? That is not mentioned in the owner’s manual, only the driver’s seat. Good to know.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So there is a lever on the passenger seat that allows you to adjust height? That is not mentioned in the owner’s manual, only the driver’s seat. Good to know.
Looking at the PDF again (page 49/616), it mentions driver's side, so maybe that is only for the driver side also. I've never actually sat in the passenger seat, so I was thinking it was more like the driver's seat.

Just to be sure, I'll go outside now and check...

EDITED:

Nope, it does not have the lever to pump the seat up or down (nor does it have the lumbar support adjustment knob). Now, having said that, the height and lumbar level on the seat is pretty close to what I have on the driver's side and I'm satisfied with it. Women tend to have longer legs and shorter torsos than men, so that could make a difference.
Sponsored

Last edited: