Passenger Firewall Access with the Diesel

StartedWith97TJ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon w/ SOT
Help!!! I am trying to install aftermarket heated seats in my 21 JLURD w/ factory Aux switches. I was hoping to run the power wires through the passenger firewall to the fuse box. I have helped others with the 3.6, but never the 3.0. I spent a couple hours looking for the extra tube/plug everyone mentions using. I pulled both batteries and the inner fender liner. I never saw the extra plug. I could not get the battery tray removed, maybe it is blocking access.

The internet has videos for installing Aux switches for everything except the 3.0. The battery tray and fuse box are different on the 3.0.

Can anyone point me to photos or a video for passing wires through the passenger firewall on the 3.0? It will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there is a better way, please let me know. I looked briefly at the clutch plug on the driver side, but with the 3.0, it looks like the plug may be behind the wiper fluid container or the drum by the master cylinder.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP

StartedWith97TJ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon w/ SOT
One correction…

I did find the plug on the driver side, I was just hoping to avoid the long run from the fuse box to the plug on the driver side.

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
If you have the aux switches why not use the interior wires? Inside there are two extra wires, one for ignition in and one direct to the battery.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Dumb question: You mean that the aux switches option doesn't preprovision ANY wiring to the engine bay?

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Dumb question: You mean that the aux switches option doesn't preprovision ANY wiring to the engine bay?
All 4 switches have wires available in both the engine bay as well as under the dash. There are also a couple of additional aux always-on wires under the dash if I remember my manual right.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

All 4 switches have wires available in both the engine bay as well as under the dash. There are also a couple of additional aux always-on wires under the dash if I remember my manual right.
Good point. I neglected to mention those extra wires under the dash (yes, I've used those). I can't fathom buying a Wrangler w/o the tow package.

OP
OP

StartedWith97TJ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon w/ SOT
If you have the aux switches why not use the interior wires? Inside there are two extra wires, one for ignition in and one direct to the battery.
I bought the Jeep used. I don’t have any info about the extra wires in the cab. Is there a wire in the cab that is only on when the vehicle is running? If so, how can identify the wire? I am assuming it is in the lower panel in the passenger footwell.

OP
OP

StartedWith97TJ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon w/ SOT
Thanks for all the advice and information about the Aux wiring. I wasn’t able to use the extra ignition wire since it only supports 10 amps, and I needed 10 amps for each seat. That being said, I’m sure I will find a use for them in the not too distant future.

I ended up running from the main fuse box, across the engine bay (using the black wiring tray), and through the firewall on the driver side. That clutch grommet is priceless. I am hoping to finish the interior wiring later today.

Thanks again for the feedback and info.

Keep Jeep’n

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Thanks for all the advice and information about the Aux wiring. I wasn’t able to use the extra ignition wire since it only supports 10 amps, and I needed 10 amps for each seat. That being said, I’m sure I will find a use for them in the not too distant future.

I ended up running from the main fuse box, across the engine bay (using the black wiring tray), and through the firewall on the driver side. That clutch grommet is priceless. I am hoping to finish the interior wiring later today.

Thanks again for the feedback and info.

Keep Jeep’n
Similar situation. When running antenna and power cables from the engine bay to the interior a while back, I did finally locate the passenger side firewall grommet, but it looked like I would have needed to pull the entire battery tray + power distribution assembly (and remove the inner fender liner) to get to it. I also noticed that, per reports here, the grommet was already packed with delicate wires that I didn't want to accidentally cut through. So I ended up running a bundle of wires to the driver side clutch grommet over and above the wiring tray (too bulky to fit inside it), wrapped in Tesa tape and secured with zipties. So far so good.

But man, that clutch grommet on the driver side was not easy to twist back in place with my straining, contorted fingertips, either!
Sponsored