Sponsored

Passenger air bag and putting things on the grab bar safety question

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does anyone have a picture freeze frame or video of how the passenger airbag behind the grab bar (it runs the length of the grab bar, I'm not referring to the side bags) gets deployed on the JL or even a JK? It is very tempting to mount cell phones, CB mics, bags with objects in them, etc. on the grab bar, but in case of an accident those items could be live 200 mph projectiles if the airbag behind the grab bar hits them. I'm thinking the accessory bags are ok because they are below the grab bar, but I'm not sure if the airbag goes just above the grab bar or goes both above and below. I'm not saying this will happen but it would be good due-diligence to spend a few seconds looking at a picture freeze frame or video to see. Below is a short video of a truck's airbag being deployed as an example.

gb3.jpg

gb2.jpeg

gb1.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Papi4baby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I believe the side air bags on the JL are mounter on the seat. Look around the seat joint area where thr cushion and back meet.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Forum member's JL - Accident not long ago..

IMG_7236.JPG

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OP means passenger front air bag. I think it comes out over the grab bar but it is a big bag so I'd think anything only mildly attached to the grab bar would become a projectile.
I shake my head when I see a woman sitting in the passenger seat of a car with her legs up on the dash and imagine her surprise when she finds her knees embedded in her face.

Retlaw

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 f150
The little panel directly behind the handle has the srs airbag sign on it.
But it would appear that the large panel above is the actual airbag location as seen here, not sure if it just splits that panel open or if the whole thing flips out of the way.
https://www.qualitymoparparts.com/o...vPXdyYW5nbGVyLWpsJnk9MjAxOCZ0PXJ1Ymljb24mZT1q

I have a 1” ram ball mount replacing the left trim bolt in the grab handle. I keep the 6” ram arm running parallel with the grab handle so my phone sits covering my wife’s heated seat controls :angel: and away from the grab handle airbag area.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
OP means passenger front air bag. I think it comes out over the grab bar but it is a big bag so I'd think anything only mildly attached to the grab bar would become a projectile.
I shake my head when I see a woman sitting in the passenger seat of a car with her legs up on the dash and imagine her surprise when she finds her knees embedded in her face.
I rarely see guys with their feet on the dash. For some reason it’s a woman thing. But it drives me nuts. Chillin with their feet on a live explosive.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I rarely see guys with their feet on the dash. For some reason it’s a woman thing. But it drives me nuts. Chillin with their feet on a live explosive.
I used to do it all the time when I was younger. :angel:

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Correct, I'm referring to the front air bag that runs the length of the grab bar, just behind and above the grab bar. Since airbags deploy at 200 mph, my concern is that the airbag will partially hit the grab bar as designed, thus making projectiles out of anything on the grab bar. I'd think that a ball mounted to the grab bar with the bolt would be ok, but the cell phone would fly at someone at 200 mph because it is attached via magnet to that ball or to a cradle.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Forum member's JL - Accident not long ago..

IMG_7236.JPG
Thanks for this picture. Now I'm definitely not going to mount my cell phone to the grab bar. I think that a ram ball attached via bolt would be ok, but not the phone attached to the ram ball. Airbag deployment at 200mph + phone at 200mph = bad.

gb11.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m also curious about the deployment zone of the passenger front airbag. The two videos in this thread that show deployment are not Jeep Wrangler JL models. And the one still picture that is a JL, doesn’t show the top left part of the airbag - which is my concern.

I’m using the 67 Designs JL mount for my smartphone - almost identical positioning as shown in their stock photo from their website (see attached pic with phone just to the right of the infotainment screen). Am I asking for projectile trouble?!?! Anyone know where I can find detailed measurements or a picture showing airbag deployment zone? See pic below:

31FC93C5-B2B9-433E-ABE1-53D55169BB4F.png

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
There have been pics posted elsewhere, but I don't have them. It comes out from the center of the cover, above the grab bar. The things mounted on the grab bar that hang below shoudl be fine. As for other things like the cell phone mount, I'd be careful, but the force of that bag will blow most of those kinds of things out of the way. If too rigid, I'd worry that something might cut the airbag, though. I think it is best just to leave a clear path. There are plenty of mounting options all around.

From what I've see, though, I would guess the mounts and things the OP shows would be fine and do leave a clear path.

I've always imagined what would happen to someone whose feet are on the dash if that bag goes off. I think it would cause some pretty complicated and severe injuries, including all kinds of torn muscles, ligaments, and tendons and maybe even broken bones, such as hips or pelvis. Hard to imagine it.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind everything becomes a projectile in a hard hit. I know this from experience with a radar detector to the face. Anything attached using a clip, suction cup or velcro will likely become a projectile in addition to anything just laying around.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering about this with those cubbys that slip down in the gap between the handle and the dash and show sunglasses and things sticking up in front of the air bag panel.
Sponsored