Pass on the Gorilla Glass

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
For those that are contemplating adding the Corningware Gorilla Glass to their order while building your own online, do yourself a favor and pass on this.

My Jeep has less than 1000 miles and today an unknown object busted this pile of crap windshield pretty good.

Made some calls and ultimately went with Safelite to do the replacement at a mere 1040 bucks due to having to recalibrate for the cruise control. 3 of the shops I called, including Safelite, told me that the Gorilla Glass windshields are a crock of shit and are actually thinner than the standard Glass Jeep uses. Two of the companies said they wonā€™t even attempt to order or install them anymore.
So itā€™s your money but thought Iā€™d let ya all know that the GG isnā€™t all itā€™s cracked up to be. Hahahahaha
Sponsored

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
My experiences with Safelite is that they always try to install third party glass, no manufacturer marks. I would insist on a oem with oem marks windshield, receive lots of horror stories, then get an reluctant agreement, followed by a non-oem windshield that I decline, OEM shows up on second attempt.

I insure OEM Gorilla Glass, I get OEM Gorilla Glass. As far as Gorilla Glass being tougher/better product, Safelite would be the last people I would listen to.

OP
OP

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
My experiences with Safelite is that they always try to install third party glass, no manufacturer marks. I would insist on a oem with oem marks windshield, receive lots of horror stories, then get an reluctant agreement, followed by a non-oem windshield that I decline, OEM shows up on second attempt.

I insure OEM Gorilla Glass, I get OEM Gorilla Glass. As far as Gorilla Glass being tougher/better product, Safelite would be the last people I would listen to.
Ok. Well if you wanna wait for a couple months to even locate a replacement windshield made in Gorilla Glass, thatā€™s your business. I went to the dealer and they told me make an appointment and come back in two weeks for an inspection. Then IF we can get the glass itā€™ll be another month possibly longer. So who would you use then to replace yours? Also, it wasnā€™t Jude Safelite that told me that the GG wasnā€™t all that great. Two other major auto glass companies told me the same thing.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Ok. Well if you wanna wait for a couple months to even locate a replacement windshield made in Gorilla Glass, thatā€™s your business. I went to the dealer and they told me make an appointment and come back in two weeks for an inspection. Then IF we can get the glass itā€™ll be another month possibly longer. So who would you use then to replace yours? Also, it wasnā€™t Jude Safelite that told me that the GG wasnā€™t all that great. Two other major auto glass companies told me the same thing.
I replaced my standard glass last week with GG at the dealership. Waited all of 2 hours. Whether it holds up any better (broke my oem standard within 1500 miles) remains to be seen.

Sponsored

OP
OP

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
I replaced my standard glass last week with GG at the dealership. Waited all of 2 hours. Whether it holds up any better (broke my oem standard within 1500 miles) remains to be seen.
Well my local dealer is horrible. Two weeks to even look at it.

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
]

... should of spent longer than 5 seconds on someone else's windshield :swear:
I'm another dissatisfied customer of GG. Mine lasted 1400 miles and it looks like it took a shot from a rifle, and the crack is spreading across the whole windshield. I understand it carries a warranty from Mopar?

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
Most dealers sub out replacing windshields to a glass company. Better to deal direct.

Sponsored

OP
OP

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
I'm another dissatisfied customer of GG. Mine lasted 1400 miles and it looks like it took a shot from a rifle, and the crack is spreading across the whole windshield. I understand it carries a warranty from Mopar?
Yeah, about that Mopar warranty. So after the dealer told me they couldnā€™t look at it for two weeks, he went out of his way for my to run my VIN and said my Jeep didnā€™t have a warranty on the GG. Total waste of my time even going there

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
5 seconds on search returns :Mopar Replacement 68401325AA - Mopar Replacement Corning Gorilla Jeep JK Windshields" ships today:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...pts6dsZc7GOx8wjyl3_7twdoxSjDAKuxoCCeIQAvD_BwE

... so any installer that can order glass.
Gotta watch Summit too. I've ordered things before that said was in stock. Couple days later your looking for a tracking number and nothing. Then you get a postcard in the mail saying its backordered and will be shipped in 60 days. This was before the pandemic, not a reliable web site.

93ls1rx7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon on order
Yeah, about that Mopar warranty. So after the dealer told me they couldnā€™t look at it for two weeks, he went out of his way for my to run my VIN and said my Jeep didnā€™t have a warranty on the GG. Total waste of my time even going there
You need to find a new dealerā€¦sounds like the service department is awful. Took me exactly one google search to find that your windshield is warrantiedā€¦ unless ā€œDamage caused by any other force such as an accident, large debris, fraud, falling objects or other acts of God are not warrantable.ā€ Two years unlimited mileage. Know your rights and make the dealership earn their money.

https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/content/store/pim/details/warranty.pdf

OP
OP

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
You need to find a new dealerā€¦sounds like the service department is awful. Took me exactly one google search to find that your windshield is warrantiedā€¦ unless ā€œDamage caused by any other force such as an accident, large debris, fraud, falling objects or other acts of God are not warrantable.ā€ Two years unlimited mileage. Know your rights and make the dealership earn their money.

https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/content/store/pim/details/warranty.pdf
The windshield took a rock or some other debri which I never saw. So itā€™s not a workmanship issue, itā€™s a collision issue which I donā€™t think is covered. And yeah, the local dealer is pretty bad

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
For those that are contemplating adding the Corningware Gorilla Glass to their order while building your own online, do yourself a favor and pass on this.

My Jeep has less than 1000 miles and today an unknown object busted this pile of crap windshield pretty good.

Made some calls and ultimately went with Safelite to do the replacement at a mere 1040 bucks due to having to recalibrate for the cruise control. 3 of the shops I called, including Safelite, told me that the Gorilla Glass windshields are a crock of shit and are actually thinner than the standard Glass Jeep uses. Two of the companies said they wonā€™t even attempt to order or install them anymore.
So itā€™s your money but thought Iā€™d let ya all know that the GG isnā€™t all itā€™s cracked up to be. Hahahahaha

wow sorry to hear you had a bad experience, I ordered my 2021 JLUR with it and it has worked as expected I was behind 18 wheeler and just before I passed it a couple of rocks came up and hit me and I took it to car wash rinse the glass off and no cracks.
Sponsored