Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
i have a manual JLUR currently running '37 on stock gear and was wondering what are the parts that i would need to purchase to regear to 4:88 ratio. Since my jeep has <30K miles, i'm hoping to reuse as many parts as possible to keep the cost down. The main reason for regearing is to gain back my 6 speed and to improve gas milage.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
i have a manual JLUR currently running '37 on stock gear and was wondering what are the parts that i would need to purchase to regear to 4:88 ratio. Since my jeep has <30K miles, i'm hoping to reuse as many parts as possible to keep the cost down. The main reason for regearing is to gain back my 6 speed and to improve gas milage.
Gear sets
Master Kits
Fluid
A way to program the PCM

That's it.

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Gear sets
Master Kits
Fluid
A way to program the PCM

That's it.
my jeep has <30K miles and i was hoping to reuse the bearings & shims if all possible to keep the cost down? Also can i program the PCM with the Tazer Mini?

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Try and find a good shop to do the gears. Regearing isn't a typical do it yourself job. Not that you said you were going to, but a quality shop will also be able to tell you if you can reuse anything.

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Try and find a good shop to do the gears. Regearing isn't a typical do it yourself job. Not that you said you were going to, but a quality shop will also be able to tell you if you can reuse anything.
i found a local shop that charges $800 for labor but i wanted to purchase the parts myself for them to install.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
my jeep has <30K miles and i was hoping to reuse the bearings & shims if all possible to keep the cost down? Also can i program the PCM with the Tazer Mini?
Unless you have a near zero mile Jeep, the bearings should not be reused, especially if you're changing gear ratios. The wear pattern, heat cycling, hot spots, and all of the wear matching will change essentially accelerating the bearing wear. If you're trying to do it cheap, do not reuse the races with new bearings. This is equally as bad for accelerating wear.

You should always start with new bearings for a vehicle with any mileage above normal drivetrain break-in. (5-8k miles or so)

The shims for the carrier cannot be re-used. You'll need new shim packs for optimizing every aspect of the gear install.

I won't give any advice other than than new gears get new bearings.

Yes, the Tazer Mini will do the job.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Every method to remove pressed on bearings risks damaging them. Pretty much all shops do not warranty anything with used bearings. Buying new bearings is cheap insurance.

And tolerances on gear sets means you need to check and possibly adjust shim packs, even with the same carrier.

Just spend the money on a quality install kit.

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
Counterargument...

Years ago I regeared a set of D44's. I installed used 4.56 gears, reused bearings and shims. Image my surprise when I was done that they worked perfectly, no weird noises, etc. It was my first and second time regearing for what its worth.

If you are going to do it yourself, the only thing you really have to lose is time, and maybe a set of gears. The only new part that is probably a necessity is the crush sleeves. If you damage a bearing doing the work, then replace it. At 30k miles those bearings have a couple hundred thousand miles left in them.

Pete

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Counterargument...

Years ago I regeared a set of D44's. I installed used 4.56 gears, reused bearings and shims. Image my surprise when I was done that they worked perfectly, no weird noises, etc. It was my first and second time regearing for what its worth.

If you are going to do it yourself, the only thing you really have to lose is time, and maybe a set of gears. The only new part that is probably a necessity is the crush sleeves. If you damage a bearing doing the work, then replace it. At 30k miles those bearings have a couple hundred thousand miles left in them.

Pete
I do my own gears as well. Every single time the shims were out of spec and needed to be adjusted.

Sure, it's possible to get lucky. And congratulations on your good fortune. But it's not something I'd gamble with personally.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Beware that some, perhaps most shops, won’t install parts that you didn’t buy from them for a regear. Even if they are new parts.
the shop already confirmed that they could install parts procured elsewhere. They were also the ones that installed the Mopar lift kit which i purchased myself since i was able to procure at a better price.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
the shop already confirmed that they could install parts procured elsewhere. They were the ones that installed the Mopar lift kit which i purchased myself since i was able to procure at a better price.
Glad you verified that first. Only a few around here will. I was annoyed at first but I understand after thinking about it from their viewpoint.

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you verified that first. Only a few around here will. I was annoyed at first but I understand after thinking about it from their viewpoint.
it's an independent shop and they realize that due to the pandemic some parts may be difficult to find.

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
my main reason for wanting to regear to 4:88 is to improve my 13.50mpg. Otherwise my Jeep drives great on stock 4:10 with '37.