First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR w/ Sky One Touch Power Top
Vehicle Showcase
2020 JLUR stock wheels and tires.
When in reverse on flat area with nothing behind me I get an immediate warning from the ParkSense parking sensor system. It shows the center red line. This is a stock Rubicon Unlimited with plastic rear bumper and factory wheels and tires. I've wiped clean the sensors and they look seated properly in the bumper. My guess is the sensors are "seeing" the spare tire. Haven't tried removing the spare or taking it in to the dealer yet. I thought maybe I'd see if others have had this issue. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what was the fix? Thank you!

Other post that may be related:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/parking-sensor-isn’t-happy.4314/
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
2020 JLUR stock wheels and tires.
When in reverse on flat area with nothing behind me I get an immediate warning from the ParkSense parking sensor system. It shows the center red line. This is a stock Rubicon Unlimited with plastic rear bumper and factory wheels and tires. I've wiped clean the sensors and they look seated properly in the bumper. My guess is the sensors are "seeing" the spare tire. Haven't tried removing the spare or taking it in to the dealer yet. I thought maybe I'd see if others have had this issue. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what was the fix? Thank you!

Other post that may be related:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/parking-sensor-isn’t-happy.4314/
I've recently read a couple of other members posts about having the same issue. They had luck by simply rotating their spare to get the valve stem at the 12 o'clock position. Definitely worth taking a shot at a possible easy fix.

It's always a shame when a thread, like what you linked, is left hanging. Let us know if it worked for you.

OP
OP
bslaberge

bslaberge

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the suggestion Headbarcode. I'll try removing the spare tire see if it still happens. And then when I reinstall the spare (assuming there's nolonger a false alarm) I'll rotate it and put the valve stem pointing up to see if that solves my Jeep issue.

OP
OP
bslaberge

bslaberge

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Think I fixed it by rotating the spare.

Pictured below is how the spare was installed from factory. The wheel weight is behind the bottom spoke. (Ignore the photobombing butterfly)
20190905_182111.jpg

Here's the problem. No obstacles but red alert!
20191015_153644.jpg

Took off the spare to experiment.
20191015_154250.jpg

Success! Notice the spare is not in the rear cam video.
20191015_154356.jpg

My theory is that the outside wheel weight located at the very bottom was causing the issue but who knows. I decided to just rotate it only one hole. Here's the new orientation and it's now working with the spare on.
20191015_155418.jpg

Here's the wheel weight behind the spoke that was at the bottom before.
20191015_155424.jpg

So with the wheel rotated just a bit it works 100% better. The problem had been consistent since we bought it new. Now it seems to work as intended. Maybe it was relocating the wheel weight, tightening the spare more, or centering the spare better. Not sure. I'll update if the problem returns.

Last edited:

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I literally just had that exact same issue, but mine was because I upgraded the tire (and wheel).

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-camera-spare-blocks-the-view.44213/

I just came home from the tire shop where we removed the spare as a test (problem solved!) and even now with the spare back on the issue seems to be resolved (there are other problems, but the rear park assist is working again). That's really interesting how rotating the spare stopped yours. Interesting and awesome!

Sponsored

planetech

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL, 15 Grand Cherokee, 97 Grand Cherokee
Think I fixed it by rotating the spare.

My theory is that the outside wheel weight located at the very bottom was causing the issue but who knows. I decided to just rotate it only one hole. Here's the new orientation and it's now working with the spare on.
20191015_155418.jpg

Here's the wheel weight behind the spoke that was at the bottom before.
20191015_155424.jpg

So with the wheel rotated just a bit it works 100% better. The problem had been consistent since we bought it new. Now it seems to work as intended. Maybe it was relocating the wheel weight, tightening the spare more, or centering the spare better. Not sure. I'll update if the problem returns.
I had the exact same issue. Two weeks ago I did a 5 way rotation, my first on the JLU Willys. Couldn't figure out what I had done to the sensors.
However, I was getting a center and right red alerts with the valve stem at 10 o'clock, as you have pictured for your fix. I rotated the tire so the stem is at 6 o'clock and problem solved. My balance weights are directly behind the valve stem so I don't think it's the weights that are causing the issue. I don't know what is causing this but it is obviously an issue.

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Seems Jeep has had this problem reported a lot. I had the same problem and took it in for my first service. They said there is an ECU parking senor calibration re-flash that would fix the problem. Re flash done we will see.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
just an update. We didn’t have any problems after rotating the tire and then had to remove the tire to install a brake ring. When we put the tire back on, the Jeep went “BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP”.
We rotated the tire and the problem went away. It does seem to be very intermittent so the problem persists, but it is a little strange how it seems to react with the weight of the tire.

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have this issue after putting on a BFG 35" spare on the stock carrier with a RedRock 4x4 HD Tailgate Reinforcement Panel (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL). Not at all sure why the placement matters. Had the valve stem at 11 o'clock and weights at 6, spun clockwise so stem was 1 o'clock and weights at 8 and it stopped. BUT ... this is not a camera thing, Park-Sense is driven by the sensors in the bumper not what you see in the camera.

ItsaBlueJeep

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Seems Jeep has had this problem reported a lot. I had the same problem and took it in for my first service. They said there is an ECU parking senor calibration re-flash that would fix the problem. Re flash done we will see.
Did the ECU flash fix the problem for you? Do you have an oversized tire mounted on the carrier?

Sponsored

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Did the ECU flash fix the problem for you? Do you have an oversized tire mounted on the carrier?
I only have a 33.5s , yes the flash helped but the sensor are not as responsive. It used to pick up people walking behind but does not unless they are right behind.

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I had this issue with my stock 2020 JLUR with plastic bumpers. The dealer did the flash and it didn’t fix it. They ended up replacing the whole sensor harness and all of the sensors.

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I found the way the tire was placed in the carrier made a difference. Try placing your wheel weights to the side not up and down.

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I'm really puzzled. The sensors in question are in the rear bumper right? How would rotating the spare by a hole or two make any difference? It defies logic; yet it seems to work for many.

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I'm really puzzled. The sensors in question are in the rear bumper right? How would rotating the spare by a hole or two make any difference? It defies logic; yet it seems to work for many.
My theory is that the sensors pick up on the metal in the weights, or the frequency of the TPMS in the spare is interfering with the frequency of the Parking sensors.
Sponsored