Sponsored

ParkSense going crazy with bigger tire

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Hey everyone,

I upgraded my wheels and tires. 17x9 -6 offset, KO2 35/12.5/17.

Ever since I got my new set installed my ParkSense keeps going crazy because of the bigger tire, it thinks I am always going to hit something.

In the short term, I am just turning off the ParkSense.

Anyone else have this issue or know of a permanent fix?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

I upgraded my wheels and tires. 17x9 -6 offset, KO2 35/12.5/17.

Ever since I got my new set installed my ParkSense keeps going crazy because of the bigger tire, it thinks I am always going to hit something.

In the short term, I am just turning off the ParkSense.

Anyone else have this issue or know of a permanent fix?
Spin the spare, so the valve stem is at or close to 12 o'clock. If that doesn't settle it down, an adjustable carrier would be the next step. It not only allows the tire to be pulled up against the tailgates rubber bumpers for support, but they usually provide a longer camara stalk to get the image out of the deeper wheel face.

I currently have my 38x13.5 on 17x9x-12 hanging on a Teraflex Alpha HD carrier.
Jeep Wrangler JL ParkSense going crazy with bigger tire 1600435050357
Jeep Wrangler JL ParkSense going crazy with bigger tire 20201106_154832

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same problem with bigger tires, and also used the Teraflex Alpha HD adjustable carrier to fix it.

The Teraflex Alpha HD adjustable carrier is expensive, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I didn't order my Jeep from the factory, I found it at a dealer, and I didn't really want ParkSense, but I did pay for it, so I figured, might as may it work right. I'm glad I did, I appreciate the feature, now.

The only caveat I'd mention is that your 2021 Wrangler may use a different camera than older Wranglers and may not work out-of-the-box with this or any other carrier: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rier-doesnt-work-for-2021.62452/#post-1331490

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Is it the camera or the parking sensors in the bumper that is causing the issue? I was under the impression it is the parking sensors? Mine worked completely fine with 35's and stock steel bumpers. Not so much with my LOD bumper and integrated tire carrier. If all I have to do is extend out the camera that would be gold but I was under the impression it is the sensors in the bumper picking up the bigger tire, location etc

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it the camera or the parking sensors in the bumper that is causing the issue? I was under the impression it is the parking sensors? Mine worked completely fine with 35's and stock steel bumpers. Not so much with my LOD bumper and integrated tire carrier. If all I have to do is extend out the camera that would be gold but I was under the impression it is the sensors in the bumper picking up the bigger tire, location etc
The camera works in tandem with the sensors. A number of members here have had false detections fixed by simply rotating the spares valve stem to as close to 12 o'clock as possible.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiGrey

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
The camera works in tandem with the sensors. A number of members here have had false detections fixed by simply rotating the spares valve stem to as close to 12 o'clock as possible.
Is the camera picking up the valve stem so it creates a false positive?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is the camera picking up the valve stem so it creates a false positive?
Yes, those affected were getting the audible warnings for as long as they were in reverse. Only change was rotating the stem up high, and all was right as rain again.

I believe the camera is what acknowledges the potential hazard, and the sensors specify what quadrant it is in and its proximity to the jeep.

OP
OP
RubiGrey

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Yes, those affected were getting the audible warnings for as long as they were in reverse. Only change was rotating the stem up high, and all was right as rain again.

I believe the camera is what acknowledges the potential hazard, and the sensors specify what quadrant it is in and its proximity to the jeep.
Thanks for the info.

I’ll give that a try.
Sponsored