Parking Sensors, Can they be added?

k1hog

First Name
Johnnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have 2019 JL Sport, can parking sensors be added?
Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I have the ability to add the sales code currently through Chrysler, so assuming you were to get the correct harnesses and parts, I do not see why not.

DaveK88

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ7 2018 Wrangler JL Sahara 2016 CTS-VSport

broox

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broox.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M4, 2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I realize this is an old thread, but I recently started looking into this as well.

I ordered my 2020 Rubicon without parking sensors because I didn't expect them to easily transfer to aftermarket bumpers. But now that I'm in the market for aftermarket bumpers, I see that most of them come with provisions for sensors, whether you have them or not. Now, I'm debating adding them retroactively.

If there's an existing place to plug the harness in (I still need to verify this), I'd think that it would be a fairly straight forward install.

Here's what I think you need.
  • The safety group/sales code on your Jeep - or use a z-automotive tazer to turn it on
  • The sensor wiring harness (68351000AC) - ~$40
  • Parking sensors (6BD56RXFAA / 6MK25TZZAA) - $30-40/ea
  • Sensor brackets (68295601AC) - $2.50/ea
  • Sensor bezels (6MH85RXFAC , 6MH83RXFAB, 6MH82RXFAB, 6MH84RXFAB) - $4/ea
  • Sensor decoupler rings? (68271824AA) - $1/ea
Which would be ~$200 (as long as you have a tazer already).

dsteiner95

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler 4xe
I realize this is an old thread, but I recently started looking into this as well.

I ordered my 2020 Rubicon without parking sensors because I didn't expect them to easily transfer to aftermarket bumpers. But now that I'm in the market for aftermarket bumpers, I see that most of them come with provisions for sensors, whether you have them or not. Now, I'm debating adding them retroactively.

If there's an existing place to plug the harness in (I still need to verify this), I'd think that it would be a fairly straight forward install.

• The safety group/sales code on your Jeep - or use a z-automotive tazer to turn it on
Did you ever give it a try?

Sponsored

rcjpmp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe Sahara

I am looking to install this in my 2022 which had no option for front parking sensors. Is this for the front or rear sensors?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 2019
I am looking to install this in my 2022 which had no option for front parking sensors. Is this for the front or rear sensors?
hey I'm also trying to add park sense in my new 2022 Rubicon. The dealer was kinda careless/maybe sneaky and didn't bother to tell us that the jeep didn't have the parking sensor right after we told him that we want the all the features that our trade in has (it had park sense). So any ideas or luck?

rcjpmp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe Sahara
hey I'm also trying to add park sense in my new 2022 Rubicon. The dealer was kinda careless/maybe sneaky and didn't bother to tell us that the jeep didn't have the parking sensor right after we told him that we want the all the features that our trade in has (it had park sense). So any ideas or luck?
I’ve had no luck finding the correct front bumper and sensors. I have read that they sell them with c don’t parking sensors in Europe, so there are parts out there. Just can’t figure out how to source them.

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm progressed on this quite a bit, I didn't have parking assist in the rear on my jeep originally, and have it installed and its working fine. I think the module is preventing me from using the front. It acts like its enabled, but when I check power to the front sensors from the module, the power isn't there.

Is there 2 park assist modules in the jeep for both the front and back? I see in the dealer parts book there is a park assist modules for front and rear with 2 different part numbers. Its odd both modules have 3 connectors on them though.

The only location I see for a park assist module is the right passenger rear just forward of the tail light inside the jeep.

Anybody can help out?

sg88

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Gladiator
I'm progressed on this quite a bit, I didn't have parking assist in the rear on my jeep originally, and have it installed and its working fine. I think the module is preventing me from using the front. It acts like its enabled, but when I check power to the front sensors from the module, the power isn't there.

Is there 2 park assist modules in the jeep for both the front and back? I see in the dealer parts book there is a park assist modules for front and rear with 2 different part numbers. Its odd both modules have 3 connectors on them though.

The only location I see for a park assist module is the right passenger rear just forward of the tail light inside the jeep.

Anybody can help out?
I am also interested, although my issue is a little different. I have assembled all the parts to install the rear park assist in my Jeep JT Gladiator Mojave and am also trying to find where that module belongs. No information from my post on the sister site JeepGladiatorforum.com so I am asking here.

As far as I can tell, in the Gladiator it lives behind the dash near the CAN bus "star ports" which on the Gladiator are just behind the glove box. On the JL there are connectors near the passenger side seat not far from the taillight and behind the glove box. For the Infotainment-brand setup (https://infotainment.com/shop/exterior-accessories/park-assist/c-bdlxaa-18jl/) that uses the OEM parts but with their own home-made harnesses, they put the JL Module by the taillight as you note, and they put the JT module behind the glove box. They use 2 sided tape rather than the factory connectors for both vehicles so I expect that this is not the actual factory location.

So does anyone have a good friend who is a Jeep technician who will spill the beans as to where these modules actually live for both vehicles? It would be really great to know...Thx!

Sponsored

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I am also interested, although my issue is a little different. I have assembled all the parts to install the rear park assist in my Jeep JT Gladiator Mojave and am also trying to find where that module belongs. No information from my post on the sister site JeepGladiatorforum.com so I am asking here.

As far as I can tell, in the Gladiator it lives behind the dash near the CAN bus "star ports" which on the Gladiator are just behind the glove box. On the JL there are connectors near the passenger side seat not far from the taillight and behind the glove box. For the Infotainment-brand setup (https://infotainment.com/shop/exterior-accessories/park-assist/c-bdlxaa-18jl/) that uses the OEM parts but with their own home-made harnesses, they put the JL Module by the taillight as you note, and they put the JT module behind the glove box. They use 2 sided tape rather than the factory connectors for both vehicles so I expect that this is not the actual factory location.

So does anyone have a good friend who is a Jeep technician who will spill the beans as to where these modules actually live for both vehicles? It would be really great to know...Thx!

Since I intended to add the front park assist sensors also, I put mine with the gateway module under the dash. In the wrangler jl, its at the passenger rear, right above the taillight inside the vehicle under that plastic cover. Since the connector for the rear is on the driver rear, I didn't care to run the wires across the vehicle because have to run it to the front seats and across the vehicle under the seats and center console then rearward down the passenger side to the rear of the vehicle. Instead, I just ran it from the left rear to the left side of the console. For the power, I put a pin in the power module at the original location.

The front park assist sensors are installed, and while I can get it to work, I goofed. I used 26 (specs call for 20 gague minimum), gauge wiring for wiring to the front bumper and when all 6 sensors are connected, it overloads the C3 12 volt supply on the park assist module and it drops to 0 volts. If i start the vehicle and connect the last 2 sensors, it works normally. It just cannot handle the current draw from startup trying to power all 6 sensors at once. Been so busy, I haven't had the opportunity to address it. If you decide to add the front park assist system, you'll need the correct module. Mine is a 2019 wrangler and the part number is 68414096AB. Its a tough find though. Mopar doesn't support front park assist in our jeeps and they have discontinued that part number. I can't find a followon substitute. I know they have added newer modules to the 2023s, but not sure if they are compatible with the older vehicles. I sourced my module from UK, and it wasn't cheap. about $150 US. Oddly, the recycler I bought it from said it came from a 2020 wrangler jl. I have learned that a 2021 wrangler park assist module wouldn't work in my vehicle. It was complaining of invalid vehicle line. The vehicle line was correct, so I'm thinking it was some change they made in the firmware. Hopefully, this help you, and others who want to pursue this. I have used bmw sensors that I have found on ebay, seller claiming they are compatible. Way cheaper, like $8.00 each instead of $43.00 from a dealer. Those did work, but I haven't rulled out that these sensors may require more current then the oem park assist module can provide. So a slow work in progress.

TrailMax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
On the opposite end of the spectrum, does anyone know if youcan just unplug a couple of the rear sensors? I have a swing away hitch that causes the rear park sense to go off. Right now I've just turned park sense off, but wonder if it would be an option to unplug the two driver side sensors and still use the passenger side sensors.

Scott T in MA

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR-XR and 2001 TJ Sport

Anybody can help out?

What version of the JL/JLU do you have? I'm curious as I've heard some say the module is up front on the driver side, and others noted it's in the rear passenger side near the taillight.

Scott T in MA

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR-XR and 2001 TJ Sport
Anyone have luck retrofitting the OE bumper with Park Assist sensors? I have a 2022 JLUR and installed an OE bumper. Not sure if I have the Park Assist module or not (not sure if it's near the front driver side or rear passenger side), but willing to take a leap of faith an buying the OBD Genie programmer or the Tazer JL Lite to see what happens.
Sponsored