Park sensors with 37’ rear tire

Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR Recon, 2.5in AEV, 35in BFG K02
I have a customer with a JL Rubicon, 2 inch lift, 37 inch tires. It has the Mopar reinforced tailgate and tire carrier combo. The vehicle is equipped with park sense and when you go into reverse the park sensors sense the spare tire and keep going off. Has anyone found a fix for this issue? I know he can just turn the sensors off, but I need to find an actual fix for it. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
other information would be helpful

Does it go off with the spare removed from the jeep?

Stock rear bumper?

Was the sensors touched in anyway before placing the tire?

Does the new tire carrier raise the the tire up?

Bkenyon53

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS; 2016 JKU; 1971 VW Beetle
I have a customer with a JL Rubicon, 2 inch lift, 37 inch tires. It has the Mopar reinforced tailgate and tire carrier combo. The vehicle is equipped with park sense and when you go into reverse the park sensors sense the spare tire and keep going off. Has anyone found a fix for this issue? I know he can just turn the sensors off, but I need to find an actual fix for it. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Good question.
Another one I had is... With the reinforcing tailgate and carrier and the larger tire, how does the sensor know how much longer the Jeep is? Can you set the distance?

OP
OP
Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
other information would be helpful

Does it go off with the spare removed from the jeep?

Stock rear bumper?

Was the sensors touched in anyway before placing the tire?

Does the new tire carrier raise the the tire up?
Happy to clarify:
Sensor does not go off when spare tire is removed.

Stock rear bumper, plastic, not steel bumper group.

Sensor was not touched before placing tire

Tire carrier raises/pushes out tire enough to not impact the bumper when swing gate is closed.

OP
OP
Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good question.
Another one I had is... With the reinforcing tailgate and carrier and the larger tire, how does the sensor know how much longer the Jeep is? Can you set the distance?
No, it is still just judging the distance to the rear bumper, even in stock configuration, it’s not calculating for the tire

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update, spoke to a local off road shop, they have a spare tire bracket they’re gonna try tomorrow in conjunction with the Mopar kit, I’ll update with results

Slyderzero1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'54 Chevy PU, '07 HD FLHTCUI, '15 Ram 4x4, '18 Mojito Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
No, it is still just judging the distance to the rear bumper, even in stock configuration, it’s not calculating for the tire
Sounds to me like the upgraded size and relocation outward of the spare is slightly in the "view" of the sensor and it sees it as an obstruction. Some of the aftermarket bumper mfg's that have accommodated the sensors have pitched them down slightly.

OP
OP
Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, the relocation bracket pushed the tire up and out about 2 inches, sensor is still going off.... FML

OP
OP
Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mopar oversized tire carrier discription states that it will support a 37’ tire. I have a ticket in to Mopar through my dealers parts dept. will update when we get a resolution.

Slim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2003 Mazda Miata, 1995 Ford Bronco
I was at my local dealer last Wednesday, buying the three parts to carry the bigger spare tire. The parts guy warned me of this issue and said Jeep is aware of it but they have not provided a fix yet.

Sponsored

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I have the same issue with the Smittybilt relocation bracket and 34” tire. Their R&D team is aware and looking into it. They advise it only happens with the stock plastic bumper. They told me whatever the fix is (including a different bracket) they will cover it.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
The Mopar oversized tire carrier discription states that it will support a 37’ tire. I have a ticket in to Mopar through my dealers parts dept. will update when we get a resolution.
I'd be curious what the offset/backspacing is on the wheels your customer is using. Factory wheels or aftermarket wheels? Anyway to relocate the spare higher up?

OP
OP
Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be curious what the offset/backspacing is on the wheels your customer is using. Factory wheels or aftermarket wheels? Anyway to relocate the spare higher up?

Wheel is a 18x10 with 5in backspacing. Same backspace as Mopar beadlock wheels. Tire is a 37x12.5r18 Toyo rt

Just installed ICI magnum RT rear bumper with park sensors. No go. Sensors still pick up the spare tire, if installed correctly. We were able to angle the bumper down enough to clear the sensors, but the tow hitch is now covered by the bumper, and the bumper is angled too far down, it’s obviously not right and looks janky. Also the sensor brackets included don’t line up with the holes, had to bend them so the sensors wouldn’t read the bumper itself.

I’m hoping DV8’s rear bumper will clear everything up.

StingGrayRubi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Sounds like it may be specific to the plastic rear bumper? I assume the sensors are all in the same location as the steel. I have a 37" Cooper STT Pro mounting a 4" backspace with the Mopar spare relocation bracket. I have no issues with the sensors and my spare is sticking out a good 6-7" from the tailgate. Sorry to hear about the issues, maybe a faulty sensor?

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
So update on the sensors. At Smittybilt’s suggestion I removed and turned the spare tire. Sounded crazy but it worked. Before it was a steady beep, now very sporadic if at all. They told me they are still working on a permanent fix.
Sponsored