Painting steel bumpers (DIY)

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
@ChattVol

I agree with you 82%. 8-)

Indeed, there is no comparison in regard to this DIY stuff and the real deal so to speak. You get what you pay for so to speak. I think it is an alternative for a guy that does not have the $ or desire to have a commercial application.

The Rustoleum is something that can be easily nixed/removed/adressed by the Commercial Bedliner applicator guy, should you ever decide to go for it and have the pricey stuff applied... Been there done that... 8-)

Also, I question your Rustoleum Bedliner application.. I have never seen the stuff, willy nilly peel off. Never.... and I have used on stuff for a few years now.
I followed the instructions and spent 3 hours doing several coats....Was 70 degrees outside and in shade. I talked with an unbiased offroad shop owner who's done alot of finishing and he said he went away from recommending it. If you've always had great results with the rattle can application, why did you go to a commercial bedliner guy to have yours stripped and redone?

My bedliner guy quoted me $100 to strip them and $100 to bediline them. I'm prob going to use my neighbors pressure washer to strip them myself and pay $100 to have them bedlined. Issue with the Roam steps is:

A. Their powdercoating is bad quality even after they keep claiming to have fixed it. Many people have had rust spots on them within 6 months.(including mine)
B. The modular internal part of the steps cant be fully accessed to bedline and water/mud easily get trapped in them due to the design. I tried to use a hose at multiple angles in the holes and its next to impossible to get all the mud out.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@ChattVol

I hear ya... $100 to me, is a tad much for prep, prior to application by your guy.. I'd be doing the prep myself...

Roam has a very bad reputation in regard to the powder coating on their steps.. a very bad reputation.

I base this on forum posts here and on other forums.

Then you get Ace Engineering, that has a very good reputation in regard to their powder coating.

As for Rustoleum Bedliner Spray.... "It is what it is". And it is a way to go if you just can't pony up the $ for a commercial application of something else..