Sponsored

Painting steel bumpers (DIY)

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just placed an order for steel bumpers and they come bare unpainted, anyone paint theirs themself? I just want a black finish that's not going to come off easy.

How do I do this and What do I need to buy?

Thanks
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
I color matched mine, but; I have all the equipment to do that.. I have seen people use bedliner or just prime and paint

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m all about that DIY life, but this seems like it might be hard to do well. Did you consider having them powder coated? Not that expensive, durable custom finish, and you don’t have to do it yourself.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
02302FB8-C68D-430F-87D9-140E9BE65399.jpeg

3843DF4F-C9C1-44E1-A6CA-67B657E60B0B.jpeg

C5A7B793-A065-400F-83BD-C6B5BBD05CE6.jpeg

87C62743-FA8A-4C42-AC99-3C47FDD01630.jpeg

Sponsored

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
I just placed an order for steel bumpers and they come bare unpainted, anyone paint theirs themself? I just want a black finish that's not going to come off easy.

How do I do this and What do I need to buy?

Thanks
Rustoleum truck bed coating (rattle can) is virtually an exact match as the OEM steel bumper paint. Others have suggested it and used it as touch up. I was amazed how close the color and texture is. BTW, Home Depot sells it in the paint department.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-248914-Spray-Paint-15-Ounce/dp/B003CT49B2/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_8?crid=15E5M3DTOLD4I&keywords=rustoleum+bedliner+paint&qid=1552072252&s=gateway&sprefix=Rustoleum+bedliner+paint,aps,915&sr=8-8-fkmrnull

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Multiple light coats of this will give you a very decent result. Color matches up great with Rubi rails, Ace Slider's etc.. DO be sure to let the light coat dry a bit before the next coat. Apply a few coats.

Z1KA-ufo5oy.JPG

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've painted mine. Just need to be patient and go easy on the coats. I have used a HVLP spray gun in the past to get good show quality jobs but for a jeep i dont think its really necessary. I just use rustoleum from the can and it works good enough for me. Only time i am getting any paint chips are wherever i smacked a rock and i just sand and touch it up

fq6GMwz.jpg

Wt6GkZB.jpg

Needalife

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2019 JLU Rubican
I have painted all after market parts on my TJ. Get a good primer then whatever can of Rust-oleum spray paint you want and go to town. Don't do it outside as dirt and other crud will get in the paint.

Also makes it very easy to do touch-up for scratches, etc...

OP
OP
Jeepsmashin

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for your replies guys.

Rustoleum it is! Now how many cans do I need to buy?

Sponsored

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Thanks for your replies guys.

Rustoleum it is! Now how many cans do I need to buy?
Probably a minimum of two but I’d get three. If you’ve got a Home Depot nearby you can always go back for more or return what you don’t use although you’ll want some to have for touch up. If the bumper doesn’t come primed, I’d definitely prime it if it’s bare metal. You can get black or dark gray primer that’ll be easier to cover than regular gray primer. Like others have said, several light coats will yield better results. Be sure and post some pictures of the final results!

OP
OP
Jeepsmashin

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
True, yeah they come bare metal, I'll be sure to get black primer, thank you

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Multiple light coats of this will give you a very decent result. Color matches up great with Rubi rails, Ace Slider's etc.. DO be sure to let the light coat dry a bit before the next coat. Apply a few coats.

Z1KA-ufo5oy.JPG
I tried using this on my Roam steps to save $ and it's definitely not in the same league as rhino liner or the other commecial grade bedliners. It started peeling after I stood on it a few times...gonna have to pay more to strip it and get them rhinolined. Talked with others who had similiar experiences....I'd stay away.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Monstaliner and be done. Trust me I didn’t LJ inside with a truck bed and it sucked. Sanded then coated with a paint brush and rolled with monstaliner and it came out great. Very durable

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I tried using this on my Roam steps to save $ and it's definitely not in the same league as rhino liner or the other commecial grade bedliners. It started peeling after I stood on it a few times...gonna have to pay more to strip it and get them rhinolined. Talked with others who had similiar experiences....I'd stay away.
@ChattVol

I agree with you 82%. 8-)

Indeed, there is no comparison in regard to this DIY stuff and the real deal so to speak. You get what you pay for so to speak. I think it is an alternative for a guy that does not have the $ or desire to have a commercial application.

The Rustoleum is something that can be easily nixed/removed/adressed by the Commercial Bedliner applicator guy, should you ever decide to go for it and have the pricey stuff applied... Been there done that... 8-)

Also, I question your Rustoleum Bedliner application.. I have never seen the stuff, willy nilly peel off. Never.... and I have used on stuff for a few years now.
Sponsored