Sponsored

Painting metalcloak full belly skid?

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Picking up the metalcloak belly skid and want to paint it mojito. Has anyone done this and can tell me how cans of paint it took?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I painted my artech ones. I think it took 3 cans. I bought 8 and have several left but I used a can or two on another project. I’d recommend just buy a couple extra and save the ones you don’t use for touch ups.
Jeep Wrangler JL Painting metalcloak full belly skid? E4E45A6A-C70F-4DA4-80BB-BB6CD0CA7365

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
The zinc plated surface of the metal cloak skids will take a lot surface prep to get any type of paint to stick to it.

If you just do paint with or without primer it will pretty much peel/flake right off.

OP
OP

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
The zinc plated surface of the metal cloak skids will take a lot surface prep to get any type of paint to stick to it.

If you just do paint with or without primer it will pretty much peel/flake right off.
Metalcloak claims they are ready to paint

Sponsored

OP
OP

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Yes, that post says it works, but I'm more interested in how many cans I need to order since they are only 5oz cans

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
Depends on how many coats you want to do, I guess

I have the metal cloak under cloak for 2door and painted it red. I used Rust-Oleum self etching primer, then did several coats of red Rust-Oleum (it had a tractor on the can). It was maybe 3 cans per coat? I forget. I did top and bottom

With this paint, you have to let it bake in the sun for a day or two, or it'll peel off. It'll stop being gummy feeling when it's done. Once it fully dried, it was hardened and good to go

After I go wheeling, I'll check to see if I scraped anything. If I did, I'll clean it and hit it with black Rust-Oleum rust converter, then coat it with the same red

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that post says it works, but I'm more interested in how many cans I need to order since they are only 5oz cans
Ohh important point - I used full sized rattle cans of Rustoleum Red, 12oz each.

OP
OP

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Depends on how many coats you want to do, I guess

I have the metal cloak under cloak for 2door and painted it red. I used Rust-Oleum self etching primer, then did several coats of red Rust-Oleum (it had a tractor on the can). It was maybe 3 cans per coat? I forget. I did top and bottom

With this paint, you have to let it bake in the sun for a day or two, or it'll peel off. It'll stop being gummy feeling when it's done. Once it fully dried, it was hardened and good to go

After I go wheeling, I'll check to see if I scraped anything. If I did, I'll clean it and hit it with black Rust-Oleum rust converter, then coat it with the same red
Thank you!

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It'll look worse painted and scratched up than if you just leave it as is.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It'll look worse painted and scratched up than if you just leave it as is.
I don't think it looks bad. Unless you're underneath about the only thing you can see is the sides or the up-angled part under the engine. Those spots don't take much abuse for me, most of my hits are right in the middle.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!