Sponsored

Painting hardtop underside black (with bedliner spray)

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
So back when I first got my Rubicon in 07, I hated the inside being white. So I wanted to share this here, because I am sure there are a few that hate the inside white. I cant believe Jeep still send them out like this. To me it was distracting while driving, looking out the back windows with the top on. Plus, it just looked bad to me. So I pulled the top and hung it from the ceiling in the garage. I decided that I was going to paint it black but didn't want it to flake off so after looking around for a solution I went with Dupli color truck bed liner in a can.

I picked it up at advance auto for $8 a can. You will need at least 6 to finish it but I think I ended up picking up 1-2 cans more to do a few touch up spots. You can roll it on as well , but I chose this way instead. To start off I sanded with 250 grit and knocked the shine down to give the dupli color truck bed liner something to grab. This took a little bit of time, my arms got tired but I wanted it to turn out so I kept at it. Once I finished, I cleaned up the dust ,then masked it all off . This takes some time as well. Once I got to this step, I wiped it down with some alcohol to remove any grease or dirt. Make sure to wear a mask to keep from breathing the vapors, next is to spray it down with the truck bed liner. I loved the results and with it being truck bed liner it held up very nice on the inside of the top for years without problems. This bed liner is very fine grit so I thought it looked very good for the inside of the top.

This is how it turned out.
attachment-2.jpg
attachment-5.jpg
attachment-4.jpg
attachment-6.jpg
attachment-3.jpg

Dang, wrong section, Mods feel free to move this
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I'm going to get a quote from Rino liner or Line X to see what they will charge me? I think that application would be functional and look good. Good write-up though

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4
So back when I first got my Rubicon in 07, I hated the inside being white. So I wanted to share this here, because I am sure there are a few that hate the inside white. I cant believe Jeep still send them out like this. To me it was distracting while driving, looking out the back windows with the top on. Plus, it just looked bad to me. So I pulled the top and hung it from the ceiling in the garage. I decided that I was going to paint it black but didn't want it to flake off so after looking around for a solution I went with Dupli color truck bed liner in a can.

I picked it up at advance auto for $8 a can. You will need at least 6 to finish it but I think I ended up picking up 1-2 cans more to do a few touch up spots. You can roll it on as well , but I chose this way instead. To start off I sanded with 250 grit and knocked the shine down to give the dupli color truck bed liner something to grab. This took a little bit of time, my arms got tired but I wanted it to turn out so I kept at it. Once I finished, I cleaned up the dust ,then masked it all off . This takes some time as well. Once I got to this step, I wiped it down with some alcohol to remove any grease or dirt. Make sure to wear a mask to keep from breathing the vapors, next is to spray it down with the truck bed liner. I loved the results and with it being truck bed liner it held up very nice on the inside of the top for years without problems. This bed liner is very fine grit so I thought it looked very good for the inside of the top.

This is how it turned out.
attachment-2.jpg
attachment-5.jpg
attachment-4.jpg
attachment-6.jpg
attachment-3.jpg

Dang, wrong section, Mods feel free to move this
I did this with my 13 JKU. Agree the bright white is distracting while driving. And the black makes things look more finished. Plan to do the same to mine. I used some rattle can black spray paint designed to adhere to smooth plastic. So that would save some prep time. It's available at Home Depot. Just gotta remember wtf it's called. Held up great for the 3 years I had the JKU.

dgriffin1671

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Very nice. I don't like the white inside either. @Dynomite1371 If you get a price, post it for comparison. I may go this same route.

OP
OP
Rubi-Zero

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to get a quote from Rino liner or Line X to see what they will charge me? I think that application would be functional and look good. Good write-up though
I like both of those products for other things but for me I decided against it with the top because they are very rough in texture because the grit is large. The Dupli Color is very fine texture and I really liked the finish it gave. Also with all supplies it cost me less than $80.

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Rubi-Zero- from the pics, it appears you removed the top hardware and masked it before painting? I know the latch mechanisms are already black, so just confirming your process.

Nice work! Cleaner than the headliners I installed once inside my sedan.

OP
OP
Rubi-Zero

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I removed them from the freedom panles because they rotate and wanted to make sure I got a clean layer without having to keep rotating their positions. I wish I had a picture of the freedom panels masked up with the hardware removed

On the hardtop I masked off everything that wasn’t easy to remove.

It really wasn’t a hard process just took a little bit of time.

Last edited:

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I like both of those products for other things but for me I decided against it with the top because they are very rough in texture because the grit is large. The Dupli Color is very fine texture and I really liked the finish it gave. Also with all supplies it cost me less than $80.
They can dial the texture up or down. I would go with the most smooth texture they could do.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
Those products have Kevlar in them as well. FUNCTIONAL! (MAYBE)

Sponsored

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've been thinking about doing this and feel a little better after seeing yours. I have been nervous about taking a can of paint to a $50k vehicle lol

Well it’s a Good thing your only taking a can of Paint to a $1200 top;).

As long as you take your time in the prep process and you should be just fine

kholding

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Turned out great! Makes me feel better if I ever need to do it.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I've been thinking about doing this and feel a little better after seeing yours. I have been nervous about taking a can of paint to a $50k vehicle lol
I know how that feels....
I built a van years ago. I took a jig saw to the sides of a brand new van and cut in three big windows.

OP
OP
Rubi-Zero

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I get it, but I knew if I didn’t rush and did good prep work that it would turn out. A lot of people that seen it in person ended up doing theirs. You could always get a quote to get it sprayed professionally.

If you have an air compressor you can spray it out of the gallon size cans they sell and it would probably go on a lot faster.
They can dial the texture up or down. I would go with the most smooth texture they could do.
I would be interested in seeing pics if you get it done along with the price to have it finished if you don’t mind posting them.
I bet it would look great if you get the right texture on it.
No pictures of the black top installed?
I will see if I have some in my files when I get home today. It makes a huge difference when driving.
Sponsored