Painted my dash Sarge Green -- a few changes -- Cost $66.00

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon
Painting is probably better than mine, but I have a question................did you only paint the drivers side or is it just the lighting? $60 for both is a damn good price. I would pay a body shop $60.00 any day to do both sides.
The passengers side had a few nibs, they are buffing it today. It’s at the dealership I work at and I get along with the body shop manager quite well. 😉
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Damn that sage green looks badass with the green Jeep. what coloris your Jeep and year cuz I don't think they made that army green and 1819 or 20 did they 21 ? It really looks good with the green dash of the green Jeep and those darker brown seats is badass. I know that was an option those darker seeds what color is your Jeep itself on the outside and what year is it it all ties together very well. Damn good looking Jeep

OP
OP
sbrimer

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
Damn that sage green looks badass with the green Jeep. what coloris your Jeep and year cuz I don't think they made that army green and 1819 or 20 did they 21 ? It really looks good with the green dash of the green Jeep and those darker brown seats is badass. I know that was an option those darker seeds what color is your Jeep itself on the outside and what year is it it all ties together very well. Damn good looking Jeep

Jeep has had several "greens" over the years, but this is Sarge Green. It is a model year 20 and 21 color. It was also a color in 2016 along with Tank. Tank and Sarge Green are not the same color. My Jeep is a 2020. Outside is also Sarge Green.

20201019_111345.jpg

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Jeep has had several "greens" over the years, but this is Sarge Green. It is a model year 20 and 21 color. It was also a color in 2016 along with Tank. Tank and Sarge Green are not the same color. My Jeep is a 2020. Outside is also Sarge Green.

Jeep Wrangler JL Painted my dash Sarge Green -- a few changes -- Cost  $66.00 20201019_111345
So what year is that JL Rubicon? That looks damn good dude the darker leather is just the right touch for that green. You ever seen the rugged ridge tube doors I love them for my dogs because I feel safer with my dogs in there even though they're strapped in with a harness to the seatbelt I just feel more comfortable and my wife wouldn't ride in the Jeep without some kind of door. so I got a special they were on sale usually about $1,000 and I got them for like $650 with the mirrors and free shipping. I love my rugged ridge tube doors

Screenshot_20200909-030254_Gallery.jpg

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL Painted my dash Sarge Green -- a few changes -- Cost  $66.00 Screenshot_20200909-030254_Gallery
Also I have a question does the front of your sit a little higher than the back looks like it might I'm not sure just asking ? In what lift do you have what brand and how much and are those nitto ridge grappers tires ? If so what size?

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL Painted my dash Sarge Green -- a few changes -- Cost  $66.00 Screenshot_20200909-030254_Gallery
if you had some kind of black door on there half doors or the tube doors man that would really make that Jeep look even better than it does already

OP
OP
sbrimer

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
Also I have a question does the front of your sit a little higher than the back looks like it might I'm not sure just asking ? In what lift do you have what brand and how much and are those nitto ridge grappers tires ? If so what size?
Front does not normally sit higher. It does sit level. There is just more fender clearance in the front than the rear. My driveway actually goes up the only hill I think we have in Florida. Tera Flex sport 2.5. Nitto's are 35 x 12.5 x 17.

Resized_20200909_132820.jpeg

Resized_20200909_132851.jpeg

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
The passengers side had a few nibs, they are buffing it today. It’s at the dealership I work at and I get along with the body shop manager quite well. 😉
Well that helps explain the screaming deal you got, but good on you. If you have access to those types of perks, by all means take advantage of them.

Both examples look great. I really like the red dash, but have a 2019 JLUR in HellaYella and it came with the gray dash. I bought an red dash off someone on the forum and will try something like this with the gray panels I remove. I really like the topography idea, but will work with a local artist to design something. I really like the matte black rings.

ivanidea

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
Occupation
IT
I wish the Jeep came with colour matched interior as standard. I also liked the old Sahara Spice TJ, which had the matching spice interior, which I thought was a great look. There's too much black / grey for a tan interior.

Sponsored

Childredb123

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited 2021
I wish the Jeep came with colour matched interior as standard. I also liked the old Sahara Spice TJ, which had the matching spice interior, which I thought was a great look. There's too much black / grey for a tan interior.
I disagree. That’s the first time I have seen the tan with the Sarge green but it looks great. Up until now I had only seen it with the Bright White.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I like the grain of wood, so I put an adhesive sheet on it.

3M DI-NOC

Jeep Wrangler JL Painted my dash Sarge Green -- a few changes -- Cost  $66.00 IMG_0124

Jeep Wrangler JL Painted my dash Sarge Green -- a few changes -- Cost  $66.00 IMG_0124

This is hilarious, awesome, and clever/ classy as hell. Great job.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I have a 2020 Sarge Green JLU Rubicon with the grayish color dash. It seemed kind of boring and I have seen several videos of people removing the dash and painting the panels. The best and easiest for me to follow was one by CJ Off Road. I'm sure most of you have seen it, but here is a link to the video in case you haven't.

Dash removal took me about 40 minutes taking my time while watching the video.

I did have a few changes in the dash for my 2020, I did a couple of things different and I want to highlight some things that were not talked about in the the CJ video..

1. Disconnecting only the main battery does nothing. There is still power to the vehicle because of the small auxiliary battery. I have the 3.6. I did not disconnect the aux battery. I understand the risk of the air bag, but I proceeded anyway. You can do so at your own risk.

2. When I removed the 8.4 head unit, there were 7 plugs on the back, but it was possibly to plug 5 of them back in wrong. The male connections were colored and so were the female connections on back of the unit; however the colors did not match. Did not make sense, so I took a picture and plugged them back in the way the were.

3. The dash panel on the drivers side was held on with both screws and snap connectors.

4. There is a small air bag panel behind the passenger grab bar that appeared to be difficult to remove because of the small space. I took an additional 5 minutes and removed the grab bar. Simply remove the cover on the right side and a 10mm bolt on each side holds the bar. Made things much, much easier.

5. There is a discussion about a zip tie on the small air bag panel and its purpose. My panel did not have a zip tie, but instead a small plastic anchor. This needs to stay in place. I simply pulled it off before I painted the panel and replaced it during reassembly. I assume the anchor is there so the piece will not become a projectile during an air bag deployment.

The dash removal might seem intimidating, but it is really not difficult at all. Follow the video and dash removal is easy.

I did not use the same paint as CJ Off Road. I used Mopar Sarge Green, paint code PGG. If you use Mopar paint, BUY 2 CANS. These are small ounce cans. It took 2 coats to completely cover the panels and additional spot spraying to get full coverage and used almost 2 full cans.

I removed the shiny trim around gauges and painted them black.

I also removed the vents and separated the shiny trim and painted them black also. The vents are held on by 3 T15 torx screws. All 4 vents and trim rings are different and will only go on one way. If you look, they are all marked.

Before I painted I used 600 grit sand paper instead of 400 and sanded all pieces.

I then used white Rustoleum Bonding Primer on all pieces. After 1 hour, I started painting.

After I painted the panels green, I waited 1 hour and applied 3 coats of Rustoleum Clear High Gloss Top Coat.

I used Rustoleum Flat and Primer in one for the vent rings and gauge ring, waited 1 hour and applied 3 coats of Rustoleum Clear Dead Flat Top Coat.

When applying the clear coat, wait no more than 5 minutes between coats until you apply the next coat.

I then waited 24 hours for the clear coat to dry before reassembly.

Normally the area around the gauges is black with silver trim rings. I did not maintain the black area. Instead, I carried the green all the way through the gauges and simply painted the trim rings flat black.

I like the contrast of the high glass green and flat black and the color all the way through the gauges.

The primer and paint dries fast, but the clear coat does not. Because the clear coat dries so slow and I am not in a dust free environment, there is some dust that dried in the clear coat in a few places.

I am very pleased with the end result. Although not perfect, I do like it.

Looks good, and with that dash in, it now strikes me that my old Fargo was almost this colour.