Painted fenders or not?

Abbey

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ
I am likely getting a Sport and doing some mods as that better fits my use, but I will still offer another opinion.

The majority of this opinion is carry-over on black vs painted from the JK. In my area, most JK Saharas are mall crawlers, and I prefer Sport or Rubicon. The feature of the JK Sahara that most quickly distinguishes it for me is the painted fender. So in my mind, those that opted for the painted fenders on the JK Rubicon were paying more to have it look like a JK Sahara.

Jeep appears to have addressed this with the highline fender on the JLR, and I do like how the painted highline resembles the TJ front fender/flare that is in my garage right now. I like the black edging on the painted too, however I still prefer the black/unpainted for the contrast on the back fender for most body colors that I like. Painted in front and unpainted in back would really be a TJ throwback.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
In my area, most JK Saharas are mall crawlers
And ? Does that prevent you from using yours as you wish ?!
Damn it’s a free country (and countries since I’m in Canada), WHO CARES who does what with the vehicle they paid for with their hard work money ?!?!
Geez this and the « real jeep/jeep guy » really p*** me off, just live your life people and stop thinking you know what’s right/wrong good/bad

/rant over

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
All Wranglers are real Jeeps and reasons for certain selections and options are understandable whatever they may be. I like 2 doors, soft top, and a manual, with few options, BUT the 4 door hard tops all loaded up are nice too. It is not my primary car so I keep it simple . . . although I have ordered a Rubi with only 1 option, the LED package. Rubis are pretty loaded up as is for my needs.

Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
This is the look I'm going with. A black grill would break it up even better. I think painted on firecracker and crystal granite look good as well. Now solid white......no thanks.

C39F61E0-B8C4-475D-A0F4-AB08F4C64C27.jpeg

mde8965

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack; 2016 BMW X3
I think painted vs unpainted fenders (IMHO) is dependent on the color of the Jeep. With some colors, to my eye, the black fenders provide nice contrast and give the vehicle a more “rugged” appearance such as with firecracker red and maybe the white and the billet. However with black and granite I feel there is not enough contrast and if I were buying those colors I would do painted. Same probably for ocean blue but not sure. Guessing, again in my opinion, that I would prefer unpainted with nacho ang Hella Yella too. The unknown for me is how either option would work with Mojito...

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
You can wax paint! And with the black trim now and more narrow design they are less overwhelming then JK painted flares.

Muddog

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Ion
HAas anyone considered painting the black plastic trim around the fender/wheel well to match the painted fenders/body color?

What are your thoughts?

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
So in my mind, those that opted for the painted fenders on the JK Rubicon were paying more to have it look like a JK Sahara.
Painted fenders remind me of CJs, YJs, and TJs more than a JK Sahara.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
And ? Does that prevent you from using yours as you wish ?!
Damn it’s a free country (and countries since I’m in Canada), WHO CARES who does what with the vehicle they paid for with their hard work money ?!?!
Geez this and the « real jeep/jeep guy » really p*** me off, just live your life people and stop thinking you know what’s right/wrong good/bad

/rant over
Since we're veterans, we can easily say that if you never fought for your country, you're a pussy and not a real man, but we know how stupid that sounds and we're better than that. Your Wrangler is whatever you want it to be.

Anyone who tries to shit on my mall crawler, I will shit on your lack of courage.

JAW

First Name
JEFF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RUBICON JLU, 2018 Porsche Panamara Sport Turismo, 2015 Audi RS5, 2010 Ferrari 599, 2018 McLaren 720s
HAas anyone considered painting the black plastic trim around the fender/wheel well to match the painted fenders/body color?

What are your thoughts?
I just dropped mine off at the body shop to paint my fenders and probably the roof. I'm thinking about having that painted too... They think I should. It might be too much though. The bumpers would be the only black remaining then. Might look funny.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Since we're veterans, we can easily say that if you never fought for your country, you're a pussy and not a real man, but we know how stupid that sounds and we're better than that. Your Wrangler is whatever you want it to be.

Anyone who tries to shit on my mall crawler, I will shit on your lack of courage.
Hahahaha pretty true
At least as relevant as their stupid « true/real this or that »

Muddog

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Ion
I just dropped mine off at the body shop to paint my fenders and probably the roof. I'm thinking about having that painted too... They think I should. It might be too much though. The bumpers would be the only black remaining then. Might look funny.
I also dropped mine off today. I’ll have pictures Wednesday. Had the door handles, hood cowl, Antenna base, and black plastic around rear tail lights painted white to match the body. I was on the fence on whether or not to paint the plastic fender trim.

Please posted pictures of yours when yours is done. I’d like to see how it looks.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I used to dislike the look of painted fenders on the Jk. I think they were just too much. Since seeing the Safari concept I love the look. Currently leaning towards painted fenders and removing the trim and lights. Going black roof and black grill to break the color up a bit as well.
Sponsored