Painted fenders or not?

albatross

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 1993 YJ
I bought one that was on the lot that had painted fenders equipped. I honestly prefer the look of non-painted but the black painted look pretty decent. As far as wear and tear...time will tell.
Sponsored

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I had originally planned for a black fenders and top, I always liked the contrast. When I walked in the lot and saw the billet silver with silver top and fenders, I immediately changed my mind. I thought it looked amazing. Bought it that day

DannyRay

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
The painted fenders aren't just the black plastic ones that have been painted, are they? Because the pebbling would show, wouldn't it? I'd think they'd have to start out smooth.

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
The painted fenders aren't just the black plastic ones that have been painted, are they? Because the pebbling would show, wouldn't it? I'd think they'd have to start out smooth.
No, I don't think so. They're smooth and look identical to the body.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I did black fenders and hardtop. Feels more like a Jeep to me.
I have seen this before on the forums. How does black fenders make it feel more like a Jeep? The original CJ5 had painted fenders. I am not arguing or trying to be disrespectful. I am just curious why plastic fenders make many feel like it is a Jeep vs painted.

1966-CJ5-TheJeepFarm-3.jpg

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have seen this before on the forums. How does black fenders make it feel more like a Jeep? The original CJ5 had painted fenders. I am not arguing or trying to be disrespectful. I am just curious why plastic fenders make many feel like it is a Jeep vs painted.

That jeep is old enough to not have any rubber fenders. My 80 cj7 had back rubber fenders and that is going back 38 years. Perhaps that is far enough back that it is what most people are used to.

Edit: just googling, I see tons of cj5s with black fenders too.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
TJ's had half colored fenders as well. The bolt-on only black plastic fender is from the JK.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
TJ's had half colored fenders as well. The bolt-on only black plastic fender is from the JK.
Yes they have gone back and forth over the years. Early CJ5 had painted fronts and really no rear fender. Later CJ5 had painted front with black trim like the TJ and now JL but they had full plastic rear fenders. With the JL they took design queues from different models throughout the years. This is why I am curious how some feel that black fenders feels more like a Jeep. I guess maybe that is what they are used to seeing most.

Personally I love them all. I am a whore I know! :cwl:

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah traditional to me is painted fenders with black flares, like CJs, YJs, and TJs. Maybe people are just used to the JK?

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR

For me, it makes it more "Jeep" to have black fenders because I think it makes the Jeep look more modular. Like a purpose built machine with certain parts meant to be expendable, as opposed to an automobile meant to look uniform and fully painted that happens to also do well off road.

That being said, I like the JL with painted fenders a lot more because you still get the piece of black trim under the flare to give you some of that modular look

Sponsored

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Not saying it looks more like an original Jeep. The ones with painted tops and fender flares ( which I love too) just feel a little to polished and refined for my taste. But I think that is why we all like the Jeeps bc we can modify the F**k out of them and make them unique. In fact, once some pocket fender flares become available, I'll probably go with those. They'll def be black though. ;)

gijoe04

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2017 Tesla Model 3
I just dropped mine off at the body shop to paint my fenders and probably the roof. I'm thinking about having that painted too... They think I should. It might be too much though. The bumpers would be the only black remaining then. Might look funny.
Could you share cost of painting? i am not sure my local body shop asked me reasonable price,

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
I like the painted fenders. I really like they way they look with a black hard top. It makes the fenders look as if they blend into the Jeep better. IMHO.

htsai14752

First Name
HTSAI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What opinions do you guys have on Hella Yella Yellow? Black or painted fenders?

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
What opinions do you guys have on Hella Yella Yellow? Black or painted fenders?
I like the black fenders. The rear painted ones will show the nicks from the front tires throwing gravel and road debris on them also.
Sponsored