Painted fenders or not?

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4
For me....I think the color matched fenders and top are just too much, especially on the brighter colored rigs. Much like some of those posting before, I like the contrast.

The trick to keeping the plain fenders looking good is to apply Armor-all Tire Black to all the plastic trim.it keeps it shiny and wil even restore faded plastic to some degree.

Doc
I ordered color matched fenders and top on my billet Rubi. For whatever reason, billet and granite are the only colors I really like with the color matched top. I agree on the other colors, black top looks much better. I'm hoping that billet top will keep the cabin a couple degrees cooler on hot houston summer days. If that wasn't a consideration, I prob would have gone with a white Rubi and black top. Think that combo looks sharp.
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
What color is that? My configurator, Sting Gray rendering, is on post #35 above. Your color looks much darker. It’s really going to come down to waiting to see Sting Gray in person; as always cartoon configurators are never true.
It is Granite.

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
E28BB787-AD11-458D-8644-543E47BB5CAC.png
The painted fender with the black strip reminds me of my TJ so I plan to order this but with a black top.
Exactly. That’s what I did.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
The painted fender with the black strip reminds me of my TJ so I plan to order this but with a black top.
Did you get any rear fender damage from gravel being thrown up from the front tires on your TJ?

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Anyone discuss paint protection film? Popular with many vehicles and cant see why the rear Wrangler painted fenders couldn't use it.

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
E28BB787-AD11-458D-8644-543E47BB5CAC.png

Exactly. That’s what I did.
This is pretty much exactly what I want, either in Sting Gray or Ocean Blue. I think the painted top is ridiculously priced for an option that is a sidegrade and only looks better in some colors/situations. The painted fenders, however, look great with the black top and aren't too expensive.

OP
OP
Kansascoast

Kansascoast

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JKU, 2drJL
Looking at the new Mopar Performance Parts Catalog and it looks like you can get a set (all four) of high fender flares in black for $500. At that price I think getting the painted from the factory makes more sense. If they get dinged up or pitted real bad, replace them with the black..... Getting the black and then deciding you wanted painted would be a lot more expensive.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I have the painted flares on my 2012 JKU and they still look pretty good. Sure they have some pits and a few scratches but most people rarely notice. Mine has been wheeled considerably too. The first week I got it 6 years ago, I took it on the K-trail in E. Oklahoma and pinstriped the whole jeep nicely to break it in...
21055218_10214131206534637_7543423512915751466_o-XL.jpg

JohnF

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Willy's
Well matching painted fenders and top is critical to building the ugliest out of the factory configuration. There is an all gray JKU vomit monster near me, its so damn hideous...

ITs like guys with bad breath that are overly friendly... how do you break it to them. They drive along happily waving to people and nobody waves back. Maybe the NFL can do a fund raiser to get them retrofited with black ones
download.jpg

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
I have the painted flares on my 2012 JKU and they still look pretty good. Sure they have some pits and a few scratches but most people rarely notice. Mine has been wheeled considerably too. The first week I got it 6 years ago, I took it on the K-trail in E. Oklahoma and pinstriped the whole jeep nicely to break it in...
21055218_10214131206534637_7543423512915751466_o-XL.jpg
Thanks for the info; nice picture.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Black fenders all the way. My painted ones now took a beating from the rock chips. Additionally, for anyone who has ever had the fading issue. Most auto parts stores carry a product called Back to Black. The absolute best thing I have ever seen. Sop top, hard top, bumpers, fenders. Works like magic on them all.
There are better products on line that do a far better job but, most importantly, lasts longer than back to black. One I've most recently used I think it's called "Aero 360" or something close to that..
Sponsored