Painted fenders or not?

Kansascoast

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JKU, 2drJL
Trying to decide on ordering the color keyed fenders of stick with the black. Is road pitting going to be a problem on the painted ones?
Sponsored

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to decide on ordering the color keyed fenders of stick with the black. Is road pitting going to be a problem on the painted ones?
I went back and forth on this especially since it could save me 395 on the already high price of the Rubi. That said, I stuck with the two piece colored fenders. They look great and with the higher fender on the front on the removable outer piece I felt colored was the way to go.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If you wheel in any way, even just basic trail runs, I wouldn't do it. The rear fenders will eat rocks, especially with AT or MT tires.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
If you wheel in any way, even just basic trail runs, I wouldn't do it. The rear fenders will eat rocks, especially with AT or MT tires.
Likewise, as such, I opted not to have the color matched fenders.

They look nice. However, speaking for myself, the paint would be scratched up in short time.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Tough decision. If looks are the only consideration, I'd say it is a toss up. I went with colored fenders because of the first pic Jeep released of the red two door from the side. Since then, I've seen plenty of pics of Rubis with black fenders, and they look great, too. I'd have a hard time if I was ordering it today. I probably still would go with the color because I like the looks of the fender lights from the front, inside the black trim. The punkin' colored Rubi on the owner's manual keyed me in on that. (Wow, that little deal became a $400 decision. First world problems.)

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The painted ones look great but I went for black in case I break one. Black ones will be a lot cheaper to replace.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Painted, don't live with the possibility of any regrets when it comes to your vehicle.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Painted, don't live with the possibility of any regrets when it comes to your vehicle.
Well matching painted fenders and top is critical to building the ugliest out of the factory configuration. There is an all gray JKU vomit monster near me, its so damn hideous...

ITs like guys with bad breath that are overly friendly... how do you break it to them. They drive along happily waving to people and nobody waves back. Maybe the NFL can do a fund raiser to get them retrofited with black ones

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I guess we still have to wait and see how well the non-painted fenders will handle the sun. Faded Wrangler fenders are a guaranteed "feature" and I'm assuming the JL will be no different. Here's hoping they're using some new material or manufacturing process that proves me wrong.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I guess we still have to wait and see how well the non-painted fenders will handle the sun. Faded Wrangler fenders are a guaranteed "feature" and I'm assuming the JL will be no different. Here's hoping they're using some new material or manufacturing process that proves me wrong.
That was going to be my question about JKs. I had a flare replaced on my LJ after an accident, and it started peeling in less than three months.
Sponsored