Painted cup holder trim and door handle cup cover

xtalfu

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS Sport
Last week it was raining (again), and I tried to put a touch of fantasy in the dark interior of my JLU Sport S - I was not brave enough to paint the dash panel (too difficult to do it right for somebody of my limited talents), so I opted to install white cup holder trim and white door handle cup covers instead. I bought them on Amazon - there are many vendors but the parts all look the same.

Jeep Wrangler JL Painted cup holder trim and door handle cup cover IMG_7553.PNG

Although the parts are advertised as "white", it's a much colder (bluer) white than the standard Bright White of Mopar, and the plastic is shiny - it does not look good at all. So I decided to paint the parts in the same color as the car, Bright White, and to finish them with a satin clearcoat. You can see (at the top) what it looks like as delivered, compared to the same part painted with a rattle can of Duplicolor Bright White.
Jeep Wrangler JL Painted cup holder trim and door handle cup cover IMG_7543

I applied two coats of paint, followed by two coats of Rust-oleum satin clearcoat. The parts come with pre-positioned strips of adhesive tape, that you have to heat (I used a hair dryer) to ensure proper adhesion to the Jeep's interior parts.
Jeep Wrangler JL Painted cup holder trim and door handle cup cover IMG_7548

Jeep Wrangler JL Painted cup holder trim and door handle cup cover IMG_7547

I like the look of the cupholder trim. I'm still undecided for the door handles. The one on the driver's door in particular looks weird because of the gap between the cover and the switches that control the mirrors behind.

Jeep Wrangler JL Painted cup holder trim and door handle cup cover IMG_7550

The Duplicolor Bright White reference may be just a tiny bit warmer than the OEM color, but if it is, it's not by much. And it's very easy to apply. Maybe I'll paint the dash panels finally...

Jeep Wrangler JL Painted cup holder trim and door handle cup cover IMG_7546
Sponsored

Ex-Nuke

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Navy Vet 9
How did you get the door handle trim off?I I want to do the same thing with mine, but with green

OP
OP
xtalfu

xtalfu

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS Sport
I did not remove the original trim. I bought those trim pieces which are an overlay that you tape over the original trim.
Sponsored