Sponsored

Paint the hard top Tan

Jetpilot03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Anyone have experience with painting the hard top? Dont want to wait for the tan soft top. I would like to match the factory color from the older jeeps. DIY or go to a pro?
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
On a brand new vehicle, I’d go to a pro, or at least someone with more experience than I have.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Agree, use a professional, the paint quality today, with clear coats and all would be difficult to match and home. The other consideration is the body color tops are perfectly smooth and I think the non-body colored ones have a texture, although I’m no sure. This might complicate things.

joecitrix97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 YJ Sahara, '18 JLU Sahara
To replace a Freedom Top (should the paint job not go as planned) will cost $2000.00 or so. Big gamble to paint it on your own. I would definitely go Pro.

Having said that, you have a great idea. Please post your pictures should you go this route. I think it will look very nice.

I am holding out for a Premium Tan Sunrider Top.

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
To replace a Freedom Top (should the paint job not go as planned) will cost $2000.00 or so. Big gamble to paint it on your own. I would definitely go Pro.

Having said that, you have a great idea. Please post your pictures should you go this route. I think it will look very nice.

I am holding out for a Premium Tan Sunrider Top.
Had a body shop paint my faded tan hardtop tan on my 2001 TJ. Turned out nice.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I've seen some new spray paint items on the market that are like spray wraps. Dupli-Color sells a removable paint wrap. Others might as well. They allow you to peel the paint away if your are not happy. Not sure how it would work on a textured surface like the factory hardtop. Probably be a cheap way to experiment and you can do it yourself.

I may consider a clear to see if it helps protect the factory paint from rock chips. Basically it's a spray on wrap.

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL
I've seen some new spray paint items on the market that are like spray wraps. Dupli-Color sells a removable paint wrap. Others might as well. They allow you to peel the paint away if your are not happy. Not sure how it would work on a textured surface like the factory hardtop. Probably be a cheap way to experiment and you can do it yourself.

I may consider a clear to see if it helps protect the factory paint from rock chips. Basically it's a spray on wrap.
Like Plastidip? There are some videos of guys spraying entire cars with it but from what I hear, it's hard to get even coverage. Need a lot of layers.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jetpilot03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks all. I plan to color match spice from the older jeeps. My big concern is having it look original, with the matte finish. I'll check prices at some local shops and update.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Would be nice if they gave you a tan hard top with the tan soft top since you have to get dual top to get the latter.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Thanks all. I plan to color match spice from the older jeeps. My big concern is having it look original, with the matte finish. I'll check prices at some local shops and update.
This is what I would do unless of course you know what you are doing or have a shop. Nothing more cringe worthy than a new ride with obvious do-it-yourself crap tacked on or painted.
Sponsored