Sponsored

Paint protection?

pdxstinggray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon - Sting Gray
Less than a week ago I got my very first JLRU in sting gray color! With it somehow I ended up purchasing extra warranty which I dont mind but also the SmartShield Armor protection for paint and leather.

Question....does anyone have that on their JL's? Is it worth it?

Am asking as I still have to make appointment for it... My gut tells me that I better invest in some extra goodies for the JLRU than this....

I am already getting 2.5 AEV lift, new rims, and 37" tires, new front bumper, Warn winch....

Want list...ARB inflation/deflation tools, roof racks, roof tent, extra lights, and some smaller items....

Thoughts?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I'm not sure if they are the same, but I had the ValuGuard on mine at delivery. I also have had it done on my 17 JKU. I simply got it because it was just extra piece of mind. So far, I haven't noticed any chips or scratches. Now, it could be that the factory paint is much better or the protection is working:giggle:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i didn't bother with the extra added dealership offers because its overpriced for a potential half@$$ job. others will chime in on what they did in protecting the paint.

to be honest, with the fair amount of things bouncing off my jeep and other vehicles. i've had a couple tiny chips that a black sharpie or touch up paint couldn't fix. and it blends in so well that i couldn't find it after it was done.

Hitdog540

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2015BMW 550xi
Occupation
Retired
I just use F11 every week or 2. Takes 30 minutes and looks great!

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
Turtlewax Seal and Shine every couple of months works well. Cheap, fast and easy.

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Based on the list of equipment you plan to install (37” tires, lift kit, winch, etc), can we assume you plan on treating this Jeep the way they’re designed to be treated? If so, it’s inevitably going to get scratched up anyways while off-roading - no paint protection can completely protect against the types of branches and occasional flung rocks that you’ll see on the trail. Scratches on a Jeep are a badge of honor.

Sfillion

First Name
Steeve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU 2019
Based on the list of equipment you plan to install (37” tires, lift kit, winch, etc), can we assume you plan on treating this Jeep the way they’re designed to be treated? If so, it’s inevitably going to get scratched up anyways while off-roading - no paint protection can completely protect against the types of branches and occasional flung rocks that you’ll see on the trail. Scratches on a Jeep are a badge of honor.
I agree with Colombus104.... maybe you should go with a paint protection film? This is what I did with my Rubicon 2019.... I installed a Protex film and I cannot be more happy.

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Personally I think any dealer added protection is a waste of money. On a previous vehicle I got dealer applied protection and after 6 months water stopped beading, so this time I got it ceramic coated. It is not cheap but they clay and remove any swirl marks first and then apply the coating. There are different levels but mine is guaranteed for 3 years. It won't protect it from all scratches but will cut down on the amount of swirl marks and I don't have to wax it to get water to bead. As for the interior any leather protector you apply yourself or scotchguard on cloth is just as good as what the dealer does.

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Isn't PPF much more expensive? Last time I looked it was over $4000 to do a Wrangler compared to ceramic which can be done for under a grand.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Don't know what the dealer charged you. My guess is you might have paid retail or more for some voodoo BS coating. I am guessing you paid retail because you were not sure about how you ended up with a extended warranty. Ceramic can be expensive to properly prep and apply, then there is the upkeep. Ceramic coatings do nothing for stone chips. I'd get a refund and apply paint protection film. Paint protection film is really the only stuff that works for stone chips. The better brands are self-healing also. A added bonus of the film, it's smoother and looks better then the clear coat. It actually will hide the clear coat orange peel. You should be able to cover 1/3 hood, full grill, full windshield frame, full painted front and rear fenders, door cups, door edges, door hinges for about $1000-$1400. Definitely do the full rear fenders and hinges. Rocks kick up pretty good.

Last edited:

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Don't know what the dealer charged you. My guess is you might have paid retail or more for some voodoo BS coating. I am guessing you paid retail because you were not sure about how you ended up with a extended warranty. Ceramic can be expensive to properly prep and apply, then there is the upkeep. Ceramic coatings do nothing for stone chips. I'd get a refund and apply paint protection film. Paint protection film is really the only stuff that works for stone chips. The better brands are self-healing also. A added bonus of the film, it's smoother and looks better then the clear coat. It actually will hide the clear coat orange peel. You should be able to cover 1/3 hood, full grill, full windshield frame, full painted front and rear fenders, door cups, door edges, for hinges for about $1000-$1400. Definitely do the full rear fenders and hinges. Rocks kick up pretty good.
CarPro Reload... expensive but your vehicle will look better than new, and it last a good while. Applied to my JLU about 2 months ago and its still beading water up to this morning. The only other thing to do would be to have a wrap applied. Do your own research on CarPro Reload.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
CarPro Reload... expensive but your vehicle will look better than new, and it last a good while. Applied to my JLU about 2 months ago and its still beading water up to this morning. The only other thing to do would be to have a wrap applied. Do your own research on CarPro Reload.
I have used CarPro Reload on paint and over film. It's very good if proper paint correction is done. Proper paint correction is the key for any product to look good.

I am not saying premium ceramic coatings are not good. Much of the improvement has to do with the prep/ paint correction before the coatings are applied. If applied correctly, many premium coatings dramatically improve shine, depth, extend water repellency, ease of maintenance, durability over traditional wax, etc. No doubt about it. As great as the coatings look and repel water they still do not do not protect paint from actual physical damage from stones and debris. Plastic paint protection film will protect paint from actual physical damage. Premium film makes the paint look better then new also. The film is a lot smoother, has less orange peel, then the FCA clear coat. It covers and hides the orange peel after it is applied.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Isn't PPF much more expensive? Last time I looked it was over $4000 to do a Wrangler compared to ceramic which can be done for under a grand.
Not sure what the whole car would be. But around here its $800-$1800 for the high impact areas which is all i would worry about....Hood, fenders, bumpers, mirrors, door handles. Some of that does not apply to Jeeps, and all 4 of my fenders came with PPF from the factory. I am sure they would switch some things around to accommodate the Jeep setup.

Ceramic will need to be reapplied after 3 years though, its a glorified wax and WILL wear off. Total waste of money IMO unless you do it yourself.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It is a waste of money. I have it on mine because the dealership did it before selling the Jeep. I told them I wasn't gonna pay for it so started walking away, they dropped the price so I got it for free. It is garbage. Just wax your Jeep every month or so and you'll get the same or better protection. Mine did come with a 5 year warranty that states they will fix small chips on the paint regardless of how they happen, and I get a free detail included with it every year. So if you are getting that and it is a good dealership, it might be worth it.
Sponsored