Sponsored

Paint Protection Films (3M-Xpel-Suntek) or Ceramic

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I can tell you while you think there may be shadiness and there certainly could be the installer makes all the difference in the world. This is not a DIY project and anyone can do it. It is labor intensive and if you want good then you pay for that, period end of story.

Go check out Glistening Perfection and Moe. You want the best, go there. People ship their cars across country, no joke to get the job done. You would never even know your car had PPF. You will pay for that however. You want “Joe’s Tint Shop” to do your PPF go right ahead. You will get the job you paid for. Might even have some razor marks in the paint when you go to remove it.

For me the three PPF’s you mention will be nominally different and it is like BFGoodrich vs Toyo vs Cooper tires. Too each your own. BTW I am an Xpel guy and Toyo tires:)
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I’m having a conundrum. I had ceramic coating done all over my JL (body, wheels, glass, everything). I also had PPF installed on the grill and fenders. After some trail runs I have some pin stripes on the sides. It’s spring and only going to get worse as the trail brush grows more. Now I’m thinking of getting PPF installed on all the doors and hood but that totally negates most of the ceramic coating I paid for. Frustrating because I love the ceramic coating - so easy to wash - but I also don’t want a bunch of scratches on a new vehicle. Anyone else gone through this dilemma?

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I’m having a conundrum. I had ceramic coating done all over my JL (body, wheels, glass, everything). I also had PPF installed on the grill and fenders. After some trail runs I have some pin stripes on the sides. It’s spring and only going to get worse as the trail brush grows more. Now I’m thinking of getting PPF installed on all the doors and hood but that totally negates most of the ceramic coating I paid for. Frustrating because I love the ceramic coating - so easy to wash - but I also don’t want a bunch of scratches on a new vehicle. Anyone else gone through this dilemma?
The PPF is also easy to wash but the protection is Amazing. Note: you can apply a Ceramic coating on top of the PPF as well in fact when the PPF is new you can do it your self for about $100 since there is no prep required.

I almost pulled the trigger on Ceramic until I saw the PPF durability first hand.

Not if you do the doors I did up to the bottom of the window that kept the cost down and covers 90% of the door.

The question is can you install PPF over ceramic coating? My understanding is you should remove the ceramic from the areas you want the PPF applied.

I did not do the grill as I can buy a new grill for what the PPF cost.

XPEL

First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Scott,

This is a tough one and fairly common. While you cannot install PPF over Ceramic Coating (as it's likely the film wont stick overtime), you'll need to remove the ceramic coating where you want the PPF, have PPF installed, then have Ceramic coating applied on top of the film. This way you get the best of both worlds - the protection from the XPEL PPF, and the extreme ease of cleaning from the ceramic coating.

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2016 Sahara Unlimited
I found getting quotes outside the higher end suburbs like yours I had better more reasonable quotes.
Thanks. I may keep looking.

@XPEL just a follow-up; $6,000 for a complete wrap is ridiculous.

Sponsored

XPEL

First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Midding,

We completely understand. $6k for a full wrap can be tough to swallow. The important take away is that while a full wrap would be really nice, it may not be completely necessary. What you want to look at are the high impact areas. Really think about the panels of the vehicle that you think will get hit the most. This is typically the grille, front bumper (if painted), front fenders, fender flares (if painted), hood, and side mirrors (if painted). Other common areas are the A-Pillars and painted windshield trim pieces, door cups, and luggage area. But as others have mentioned, since it's a Jeep and meant to do off-road Jeep things, it's not uncommon to protect the doors and whole sides.

Start with the high impact areas, then work your way up should you see that certain areas are taking more of a beating than you think.

Don't hesitate to reach out if we can help in any way or answer any questions.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Scott,

This is a tough one and fairly common. While you cannot install PPF over Ceramic Coating (as it's likely the film wont stick overtime), you'll need to remove the ceramic coating where you want the PPF, have PPF installed, then have Ceramic coating applied on top of the film. This way you get the best of both worlds - the protection from the XPEL PPF, and the extreme ease of cleaning from the ceramic coating.
Thanks for the response. I’ve reached out to a local Xpel installer and am waiting to hear back on my options. I didn’t realize the ceramic coating would have to be removed but it does make sense. Appreciate your feedback.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

@XPEL should be ashamed to have dealers gouging like that, again i had full hood, cowls, 4 doors, 4 fenders, 4 fender flairs $1600. the material is not that expensive and it is a full day install, all pieces are precut by a plotter as well so it is just installing pre cut pieces, while there is skill involved $6k is absurd most attorneys do not even cost that much for a days work

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2016 Sahara Unlimited
“Complete wrap”, I should have qualified are the installers words and thus only includes - grill, hood, 4 fenders, cowls, 4 doors, 4 flairs and 4 door sills. The JL is several weeks old, garage kept with less than 350 miles on it.

I may keep looking because I’d like it done but... Heck, I even considered going to 3M training to learn to do it myself.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@XPEL should be ashamed to have dealers gouging like that, again i had full hood, cowls, 4 doors, 4 fenders, 4 fender flairs $1600. the material is not that expensive and it is a full day install, all pieces are precut by a plotter as well so it is just installing pre cut pieces, while there is skill involved $6k is absurd most attorneys do not even cost that much for a days work
You do realize Xpel or any of the companies have zero say in what installers charge. You can find installers in all ranges. Guys if you think it is that easy, go buy some and DIY. No one is stopping you.

Why don’t you all hang out at a place and watch it get done. It isn’t that easy. Takes lots of training and that is a cost. Also go check out a job done by a guy charging the lowest cost. Then go see a guy that charges a ton. You will find those people removing mirrors etc so you don’t have ugly lines in the PPF. Also just because it is precut it doesn’t make it that easy, again go give it a try yourself if it is that easy.

It is America. Go find a different place to do it. Take your business wherever you want but blaming Xpel or any of the companies that provide the product is just asinine.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

XPEL

First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You do realize Xpel or any of the companies have zero say in what installers charge. You can find installers in all ranges. Guys if you think it is that easy, go buy some and DIY. No one is stopping you.

Why don’t you all hang out at a place and watch it get done. It isn’t that easy. Takes lots of training and that is a cost. Also go check out a job done by a guy charging the lowest cost. Then go see a guy that charges a ton. You will find those people removing mirrors etc so you don’t have ugly lines in the PPF. Also just because it is precut it doesn’t make it that easy, again go give it a try yourself if it is that easy.

It is America. Go find a different place to do it. Take your business wherever you want but blaming Xpel or any of the companies that provide the product is just asinine.
:fist bump:

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

I had my entire Wrangler done in 3M how about you? (I have also had my Tesla don as well my Class A is also covered on the entire front end. You seem to be the local expert I would assume you have had your entire wrangler wrapped as well... Price has nothing to do with quality there are quality installers that are reasonably priced and vice versa. According to the dealer that installed mine other than the Rubicon hood installing PPF on a wrangler is actually one of the easier vehicles to wrap considering all the flat surfaces as well there is nothing that needs to be removed (mirros, door handles ect. as all the Wrangler patterns are pre-cut around those kinds of things). There is no justifyable reason any PPF dealer should charge $6k it is a 1 day install where cost of materials is maybe $500-$800. If the PPF suppliers would establish product MSRP's then that would tamp down much of the price gouging.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had my entire Wrangler done in 3M how about you? (I have also had my Tesla don as well my Class A is also covered on the entire front end. You seem to be the local expert I would assume you have had your entire wrangler wrapped as well... Price has nothing to do with quality there are quality installers that are reasonably priced and vice versa. According to the dealer that installed mine other than the Rubicon hood installing PPF on a wrangler is actually one of the easier vehicles to wrap considering all the flat surfaces as well there is nothing that needs to be removed (mirros, door handles ect. as all the Wrangler patterns are pre-cut around those kinds of things). There is no justifyable reason any PPF dealer should charge $6k it is a 1 day install where cost of materials is maybe $500-$800. If the PPF suppliers would establish product MSRP's then that would tamp down much of the price gouging.
To each its own. Installers are not the same no matter what you think. Youtube is your friend. you can see plenty of bad and GOOD PPF instals. Plenty of examples of razor cuts on the paint when bad installs are removed.

If it is so easy then why have you had it installed on so many of your cars? How did you get it around the base of your mirror without removing it and NOT having a cut line? You should stop wasting your money and do your own installs.

Yes I have had plenty of cars done by plenty of folks from all different price ranges. Plenty of experience. Also plenty of experience with all three brands mentioned; 3M, Suntek and Xpel.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
My JL is at the shop as we speak having Xpel and Ceramic Pro Gold installed as we speak. I am having all of the following areas covered with Xpel Ultimate Plus:

Full Hood
Grille
Full Fenders
Windshield Surround
Full Front and Rear Fender Flares
Headlamps
Daytime Running Lamps
Fog Lamps
Rocker Panels

The entire vehicle is being coated with a Ceramic Pro Gold Package. I'll post pics once the work is complete.
Sponsored