lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
It is Llumar platinum. They have a plotter and use Xpel's templates I believe.
I do not know how they would have the Xpel template unless they also offer Xpel. I guarantee you those are not the Xpel temps. You can download the Xpel PDF of their templates and you will see they are not like what is on your JL
Sponsored

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
They also used rolls that were too narrow which is why you have the two piece hood, it is not suppose to be like that
I'm taking it back tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can get them to fix it. Hoping for what I paid they will do something.

Xpel's website shows the Rubicon full hood is 2 pieces.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm taking it back tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can get them to fix it. Hoping for what I paid they will do something.

Xpel's website shows the Rubicon full hood is 2 pieces.
Did you ever get you PPF issues resolved?

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did you ever get you PPF issues resolved?
They are redoing the hood with a single piece and redoing a couple other panels. Drop it off next Tuesday morning. I did do some scratch testing on hood since it is getting redone. The self healing works pretty good.

eatworksleepdie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler, 2015 Jeep Renegade, 1992 VW 1.8t GTI
The wife and I had xpel installed on her new jeep a few weeks ago. It looks great! We did the full hood, lights, grill, window surround, and the little fender pieces. Complete front end. The only problem we had was Xpel sent the installers the wrong kit first, but made it up by over-nighting the correct kit so we were only down an extra day NBD.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The wife and I had xpel installed on her new jeep a few weeks ago. It looks great! We did the full hood, lights, grill, window surround, and the little fender pieces. Complete front end. The only problem we had was Xpel sent the installers the wrong kit first, but made it up by over-nighting the correct kit so we were only down an extra day NBD.
Was your hood done as a single piece or two? Whenever my JLUR 3.0 shows up it’s going straight to get every panel done in xpel ultimate plus before it sees road or trail miles.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Was your hood done as a single piece or two? Whenever my JLUR 3.0 shows up it’s going straight to get every panel done in xpel ultimate plus before it sees road or trail miles.
Hood is one piece. You should also look at 3M, better warranty as well Xpel has a slight orange peel texture compared to 3M and Sunteck that provide a better shine. You look that them side by side on the same car you can see the difference. Xpel is a good product but there are better. The 3M 10 year warranty will cover up to $3500 paint damage in the event rocks penetrate the film. Here in the NW many shops have recently dropped Xpel and switched to 3M.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hood is one piece. You should also look at 3M, better warranty as well Xpel has a slight orange peel texture compared to 3M and Sunteck that provide a better shine. You look that them side by side on the same car you can see the difference. Xpel is a good product but there are better. The 3M 10 year warranty will cover up to $3500 paint damage in the event rocks penetrate the film. Here in the NW many shops have recently dropped Xpel and switched to 3M.
AFAIK, the ultimate plus was the answer to 3M’s smoother surface. You might have seen it side by side with the old xpel. Either way, xpel is the only show in town up here (AK).

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I gave some thought to xpel or a professional ceramic coat before using it off-road. In the end, I procrastinated up until just before leaving on a big hunting trip where I knew I would be in some brush sooner or later.

I ran across some new spray "ceramic" coating at the auto parts store. There was the Mothers CMX and a similar one from Meguires. I read a bit about them. The test I read showed them trying to buff off the coating with compounds and a rotary buffer. The CMX faired better and it was very difficult to remove. I bought some, wiped the jeep down with isopropol alcohol and hastily applied one coat of it to the sides and window frames days before leaving on the trip. I also clayed the hood and wiped with alcohol before applying it to the hood. I wasn't going for a show quality finish, but I know brush can trash a finish quickly.

On my trip, we have been into some brush and I see dusty streaks from it and recall the scathing sounds. But when I wipe my finger across the dust, it looks pretty good underneath. On the other hand, the black hardtop didn't get coated and I see some scratches deep into the paint. I am still on the trip and haven't washed it to examine if it's unscathed, but it looks a heck of a lot better than nothing and was a very quick, single layer. I'm hoping it didn't damage it much if at all. I'll know when I wash it at home. The instructions state that multiple layers add protection. I think I'll add some coats when returning home.

I know even Xpel gets scratched in the brush as exhibited on my truck. They say it "self heals" I've yet to see that from brush scratches. Me? I think these DIY ceramic coatings are worth a try.

nysundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Sky One Touch
You are right on the money! I had Suntek installed on my JL when I first purchased it by someone who didn't know what the hell they were doing and had to have it removed and redone when I returned to AZ. Both Suntek and Xpel are fine and it all boils down to who is doing the install. Luckily, I was able to recoup my money through my bank on the first install. The new shop installed Xpel Ultimate Plus.

As a side note, if anyone is in the Denver area and looking to have PPF installed on their vehicles, do not take it to the Autowash Showroom. As they are not qualified to do the work.
Where did you get you PPF done in AZ?

Sponsored

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Picked mine up from getting Ceramic yesterday. Very happy with the results ...
Jeep Ceramic.jpg

Last edited:

shufly09

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel JL (ordered)
Looking to get Xpel soon, but wanted some feedback from others as to what you think is the ideal level of coverage. A lot of folks say "as much as you can afford" or "any painted surface", but then again that could be the difference of $2k for essentially full front end, a pillars, rocker panels or $4.5k for full vehicle.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is having every panel done starting today. It will be used extensively on trails with branches in the way and a lot of high-speed dirt roads plus climbing all over it to use the rooftop tent...use case dictates the required coverage.

XPEL

First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Looking to get Xpel soon, but wanted some feedback from others as to what you think is the ideal level of coverage. A lot of folks say "as much as you can afford" or "any painted surface", but then again that could be the difference of $2k for essentially full front end, a pillars, rocker panels or $4.5k for full vehicle.
Thank you for choosing XPEL to protect your Jeep. The ideal coverage will vary based on what you'll be using your Jeep for. If you don't plan to take it off-road, then doing the standard full front end (bumper, full hood, full fenders, headlights, and side mirrors - if painted and includes painted fender flares) is the way to go.

If you plan to take your Jeep off-road then you'll want to considering protecting the sides as you can get pinstripes and rock chips along the sides very easily.

Mine is having every panel done starting today. It will be used extensively on trails with branches in the way and a lot of high-speed dirt roads plus climbing all over it to use the rooftop tent...use case dictates the required coverage.
Thank you!
Sponsored