Sponsored

Paint Protection Films (3M-Xpel-Suntek) or Ceramic

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
To each its own. Installers are not the same no matter what you think. Youtube is your friend. you can see plenty of bad and GOOD PPF instals. Plenty of examples of razor cuts on the paint when bad installs are removed.

If it is so easy then why have you had it installed on so many of your cars? How did you get it around the base of your mirror without removing it and NOT having a cut line? You should stop wasting your money and do your own installs.

Yes I have had plenty of cars done by plenty of folks from all different price ranges. Plenty of experience. Also plenty of experience with all three brands mentioned; 3M, Suntek and Xpel.
You are right on the money! I had Suntek installed on my JL when I first purchased it by someone who didn't know what the hell they were doing and had to have it removed and redone when I returned to AZ. Both Suntek and Xpel are fine and it all boils down to who is doing the install. Luckily, I was able to recoup my money through my bank on the first install. The new shop installed Xpel Ultimate Plus.

As a side note, if anyone is in the Denver area and looking to have PPF installed on their vehicles, do not take it to the Autowash Showroom. As they are not qualified to do the work.
Sponsored

Bob K

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL - Ocean Blue - ; 2002 Ford f350
Am I correct in assuming that if you have the ceramic coating, that you can't put the paint protective film over it because it won't stick to the ceramic coating? Last week, I went to a shop to have some paint protection film put on the leading edges and grill of my Wrangler and after about 5 hours, the installer gave up saying that it wouldn't stay in place because of the ceramic coating.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Am I correct in assuming that if you have the ceramic coating, that you can't put the paint protective film over it because it won't stick to the ceramic coating? Last week, I went to a shop to have some paint protection film put on the leading edges and grill of my Wrangler and after about 5 hours, the installer gave up saying that it wouldn't stay in place because of the ceramic coating.
That is correct there is a hierarchy for paint protection, no wax, no sealers, no ceramic before PPF (paint protection Film), just like no wax, no sealer before Ceramic, No wax before sealer only on top of sealer, however you can put any of them on top of PPF.

Ceramic can be removed though however I understand it to be a labor intense process.

https://www.detailingwiki.org/protection/remove-ceramic-coating/

Sponsored

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
My Indigo Blue Hellcat Redeye (same as Ocean Blue on the JL) has Xpel Ultimate Plus on the Doors forward (fenders, flares, hood, bumper, headlights, mirrors, and a-Pillars around the windshield). After PPF install, my installer then coated the entire car with Xpel Fusion Plus ceramic coating. He removed the mirrors and door handles when he did the doors too. This car just glows and I've taken road trips from Tucson to Las Vegas and not a single stone chip or ding anywhere and the bugs just hose off. In fact , I don't really wash the car anymore, nothing sticks to it. I just run water over it then use an air blower to simply blow off the water. I wasn't a believer before but it's totally converted me. For my Punk'n JLUR, I'm just going to do the grill and front edge of the hood, headlights, and the windshield frame. Then Xpel Fusion Plus ceramic on the rest of the vehicle so nothing sticks. He told me that some of the hardcore jeepers coat the inner fender wells too and the mud doesn't stick, but I'm not that hardcore!

fullsizeoutput_bd8.jpeg

vBySOQ14RAuAKojVCOYrng.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My Indigo Blue Hellcat Redeye (same as Ocean Blue on the JL) has Xpel Ultimate Plus on the Doors forward (fenders, flares, hood, bumper, headlights, mirrors, and a-Pillars around the windshield). After PPF install, my installer then coated the entire car with Xpel Fusion Plus ceramic coating. He removed the mirrors and door handles when he did the doors too. This car just glows and I've tied road trips to from Tucson to Las Vegas an not a single stone chip or ding anywhere and the bugs just hose off. In fact , I don't really wash the car anymore, nothing sticks to it. I just run water over it then use an air blower to simply blow off the water. I wasn't a believer before but it's totally converted me. For my Punk'n JLUR, I'm just going to do the grill and front edge of the hood, headlights, and the windshield frame. Then Xpel Fusion Plus ceramic on the rest of the vehicle so nothing sticks. He told me that some of the hardcore jeepers coat the inner fender wells too and the mud doesn't stick, but I'm not that hardcore!

fullsizeoutput_bd8.jpeg

vBySOQ14RAuAKojVCOYrng.jpg
Now I have PPF on entire wrangler except tailgate with a Ceramic on top (self installed when PPF was new) when I get off a trail I just hose off spray with a detailing spay (for even more gloss, quick wire and then blow with leaf blower. Even if it is a little dirty I can wipe down without worrying about scratching.

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
I did xpel and ceramic in my grille only. Can’t go full Italian wrap on a vehicle.

Spartan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had Suntek PPF installed last week on the entire front end, including front and rear fender flares. Over the last two days I ceramic coated the entire Jeep with CQuartz UK. Could not be happier with the results.

D1FB2271-5352-45AA-8FF1-23FE7EA2994D.jpeg

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I had Suntek PPF installed last week on the entire front end, including front and rear fender flares. Over the last two days I ceramic coated the entire Jeep with CQuartz UK. Could not be happier with the results.

D1FB2271-5352-45AA-8FF1-23FE7EA2994D.jpeg
Do you mind posting what you paid for the PPF (Suntek) only, Since I did the entire wrangler (except tailgate) that is the #1 question I am asked.

Sponsored

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I’ve used Xpel film for years on my motorcycles and had great results. Bikes were exposed to all of the elements as I ride in the winter and rain IF above 35 degrees. I can’t speak for off road as I’ve never applied that to any of my Jeeps but I can see how they would benefit. It’s a damn good product from my experience.

lampatmyfeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
My local dealer has a product called AutoButler. Spray on twice a year at the dealership and they buff it in. Anyone heard of this before? Any experiences?

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've been looking at getting my Rubicon wrapped before it starts hitting the trails. I've gotten 2 quotes for Xpel for $3900 and $3200. I also got a quote for the self healing Llumar for $2750. This is to do the whole jeep minus the fender flares, top of the roof and tailgate. Still have a couple more places to check but right now it looks like Llumar will be going on it. If anyone recommends a place around KC let me know.
Sponsored