Sponsored

Paint Protection Films (3M-Xpel-Suntek) or Ceramic

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Thank you for choosing XPEL to protect your Jeep. The ideal coverage will vary based on what you'll be using your Jeep for. If you don't plan to take it off-road, then doing the standard full front end (bumper, full hood, full fenders, headlights, and side mirrors - if painted and includes painted fender flares) is the way to go.

If you plan to take your Jeep off-road then you'll want to considering protecting the sides as you can get pinstripes and rock chips along the sides very easily.

Thank you!
Sure thing! Feel free to contact CCA Wasilla for project pictures if you have a marketing use for them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Looking to get Xpel soon, but wanted some feedback from others as to what you think is the ideal level of coverage. A lot of folks say "as much as you can afford" or "any painted surface", but then again that could be the difference of $2k for essentially full front end, a pillars, rocker panels or $4.5k for full vehicle.
I paid $1600 for entire wrangler except tailgate. Wrapped in 3M, personally Xpel has more orange peel effect and the 3M warranty is better here in the PNW many shops have dropped Xpel and switched to 3M.

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So after doing extensive research including in person visits to both 3M, XPEL and Suntek shops, I’m going with XPEL. Here’s why:

- Quality of product. XPEL has the best templates ensuring true edge to edge coverage. XPEL also specializes in window films whereas 3M simply puts their brand name stamp on film created by others.

- Transferable warranty. Not that I plan to sell the Jeep but the XPEL warranty is transferable to the next owner, 3M was not.

- The XPEL film is 8MM thick whereas the 3M film is 6MM thick, see next point.

- The XPEL may have a bit of a less glossy finish ( @lightsout refers to it as orange peel), but this is only noticeable if you’re an inch away from the film and looking at an angle. I don’t want anyone that close to my Jeep.

- The shop I’m going with here in Charlotte had just finished Kurt Busch’s Ford GTO...if XPEL looks good enough for his GTO, it will more than suffice for my Rubicon.

- 3M didn’t even have a booth at SEMA...all the others did. Minor point but makes you question how much skin they have in the game.

Im going to pay $1,600 for:
- Full front including grill, flares, hood, side.
- Runner rails.
- Doors
- Back flare

He also threw in ceramic tint on the front two windows to match.

Debating throwing in a full ceramic coating on top of everything for $600 with a 4-year warranty (they recommend a $100 refresher each year).

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after doing extensive research including in person visits to both 3M, XPEL and Suntek shops, I’m going with XPEL. Here’s why:

- Quality of product. XPEL has the best templates ensuring true edge to edge coverage. XPEL also specializes in window films whereas 3M simply puts their brand name stamp on film created by others.

- Transferable warranty. Not that I plan to sell the Jeep but the XPEL warranty is transferable to the next owner, 3M was not.

- The XPEL film is 8MM thick whereas the 3M film is 6MM thick, see next point.

- The XPEL may have a bit of a less glossy finish ( @lightsout refers to it as orange peel), but this is only noticeable if you’re an inch away from the film and looking at an angle. I don’t want anyone that close to my Jeep.

- The shop I’m going with here in Charlotte had just finished Kurt Busch’s Ford GTO...if XPEL looks good enough for his GTO, it will more than suffice for my Rubicon.

- 3M didn’t even have a booth at SEMA...all the others did. Minor point but makes you question how much skin they have in the game.

Im going to pay $1,600 for:
- Full front including grill, flares, hood, side.
- Runner rails.
- Doors
- Back flare

He also threw in ceramic tint on the front two windows to match.

Debating throwing in a full ceramic coating on top of everything for $600 with a 4-year warranty (they recommend a $100 refresher each year).
Xpel has a new 10mil film on the market for high-risk applications too. It’s spendy and the shop that applied my 8mil film didn’t think it’d be necessary but I’m keeping a close eye on the 8mil on the leading edge of the hinges and rear fenders because those parts eat stones all day long and if the 8mil isn’t adequate there it’ll be replaced with 10mil for sure.
https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/downloads/XPEL-ULTIMATE-PLUS-10-TDS-V1.1.pdf

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Xpel has a new 10mil film on the market for high-risk applications too. It’s spendy and the shop that applied my 8mil film didn’t think it’d be necessary but I’m keeping a close eye on the 8mil on the leading edge of the hinges and rear fenders because those parts eat stones all day long and if the 8mil isn’t adequate there it’ll be replaced with 10mil for sure.
https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/downloads/XPEL-ULTIMATE-PLUS-10-TDS-V1.1.pdf
How much did you get covered and what did you pay?

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much did you get covered and what did you pay?
Everything but the rear swing gate (waiting to put the AEV rear bumper and tire carrier on first) and center portion of the roof (will be covered by my rhino rack). Ran about $5k and took two guys about 5 days to complete because they weren’t completely happy with a bunch of the JLU templates so they made custom edits for it. They also created some from scratch for the hinges and rain rails on the roof because they didn’t have a template.

eumylove

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
I paid $1600 for entire wrangler except tailgate. Wrapped in 3M, personally Xpel has more orange peel effect and the 3M warranty is better here in the PNW many shops have dropped Xpel and switched to 3M.
Hi can you PM or share where you got your 3M protection done?

Rymahoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for choosing XPEL to protect your Jeep. The ideal coverage will vary based on what you'll be using your Jeep for. If you don't plan to take it off-road, then doing the standard full front end (bumper, full hood, full fenders, headlights, and side mirrors - if painted and includes painted fender flares) is the way to go.

If you plan to take your Jeep off-road then you'll want to considering protecting the sides as you can get pinstripes and rock chips along the sides very easily.

Thank you!
Can you recommend a good dealer near

Thank you!
Can you recommend a reputable installer near 21921?

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Can you recommend a good dealer near

Can you recommend a reputable installer near 21921?

You should also look at 3M better warranty and Xpel has more orange peel effect.