Sponsored

Paint Protection Film (ie Clear Bra) needed?

deeve

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK (no U)
Curious if folks feel there is a need for paint protection film on these vehicles. I know folks have it, but to the ones who don't how is the paint holding up? I am leaning toward putting it on at least the door hinges. I am also thinking about the leading edge of the fenders and hood. I have been told that the painted plastic holds up pretty well because it gives more than steel. I have a 4xe Sahara and although the OE step boards probably protect the hinges from rocks, I replaced them with some rock rails from a Rubicon. If I don't need it I will forgo it, but wanted to hear peoples thoughts.

Thanks!
DAVE
Sponsored

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I’d recommend doing it on grille and hood. If you do a lot of offroading, LLumar makes a thicker film for extra protection.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I regretfully didn’t do it on my 19 Sahara and have had to use touch up paint on about 6-8 spots. Never a perfect match either.

OP
OP

deeve

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I regretfully didn’t do it on my 19 Sahara and have had to use touch up paint on about 6-8 spots. Never a perfect match either.
Where were most of the chips located?

azbobver

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Permanent Vacation
I just had XPEL Ultimate Plus applied to the grill, hood, cowl, A pillars, all four fenders, door edges, door handle curved areas, both front door entry areas.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Where were most of the chips located?
At the tip of the front hood above the grill, the fenders also take a beating. Especially where they dip down at the front. One of my door hinge bolts and a nice size chip on the small piece right above the windshield.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I had some 4" clear bra material left so I did my door sills with it. Once I got my first hinge chip I used it on the leading edges of my hinges too. Was a bit of a PITA to hand cut all those pieces but it's held up well and no more chips.

I did not do the hood when I got the windows tinted. So far it's remained chip-free after a. year.

calbake

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t had any issues with the hood (so far), so I haven’t put anything on the leading edge there. I have however put clear vinyl on the fronts of all my hinges and on the door sills where people drag their feet. My only regret is that I didn’t do it immediately after I bought it!

OP
OP

deeve

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses. I'm heading in today to get some film put on the hinges for sure. Maybe ten fender fronts and hood edge.

jeeeeeeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm going to be covering as much of my Jeep as I can - I live in the desert and our trails have lots of opportunity for "desert pinstriping."

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I had full coverage including the hardtop, minus the fenders. I didn't order painted fenders knowing they would get beat up and possibly replaced at some point. Really glad I did it. It's great knowing the branch dragging across the jeep isn't doing damage. I know it doesn't make me invincible but it's worth it imo
Sponsored